Dwarf advert

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocklone Miniature Horses

past member -I gotta get a life...
Reaction score
Amazon have used a mini dwarf in their new advert. This is setting all the horsey people off in a flood of awwww where can I get one type comments. Doesn't really do much for the miniature horse breed does it
default_sad.png

Shows you how much even a big corporation like Amazon doesn't know about dwarfs and just think they are normal cute horses.

I have not seen the advertisement but from this post I gather that people are commenting on the "cuteness" and inquiring about purchasing one. That bothers me, mostly because in my own experience, many non horse people have made it clear that they associate ALL minis with dwarves. Often when asked what I do, once I say "miniature horses" I get asked "oh you breed them cute lil pygmy or dwarf horses right? What do they go for?" No matter how much I dumb it down, no matter how adamant I am about the differences in dwarf vs. normal minis, it usually goes right over their heads. Because minis are a mini because of their size, people cannot disconnect that from "dwarf". When I explain the hard work, dedication, attention to genetics and responsibility necessary to breed quality horses, people think I am a "snotty horse person" like "all other horse people". I throw my hands up in disgust and usually walk away. This association by the general public prompted me to get a few Shetlands, which to my knowledge do not carry the same "stigma" as minis, and re branded our business as a "pony" business rather than just minis. Made a world of difference.

Its causing quite a stir really. My main gripe was about people thinking it was a miniature horse, and wanting one. It has taught me a lot about dwarfisim that i didn't know previously cause i've been looking into it to explain to other horsey people why it is NOT a miniature horse. Think the message is getting through.

https://youtu.be/_SIebmrlJKw

For those that haven't seen it, it's a foreign Amazon Prime ad
Its being shown in the UK too, constantly. The pony is from the UK, and i believe the advert is filmed in the UK.

OMG that is such a cute commercial! you are right she is most definitely dwarf characteristic. I agree it may be better to show a correct Miniature Horse to the world, but the dwarf issue wasn't my peeve....it was delivering a tiny horse and putting it in a field full of full size horses, that's a no-no in my book.

I think the ad is pretty cute. But if you want really cute ads, I think Budweiser still does it best. (...does anyone remember the one with the donkey that wanted to be on the Clydesdale team?)

I guess the animal in the commercial does have some "dwarf-y" characteristics, but I've seen minis that are much more deformed. So I don't understand the comments about publicizing dwarfism. Isn't that a possibility with any mini horse? I have to admit I'm not too fond of the dwarf-look; in fact I was very thankful when Baby popped out with straight legs, good feet, and a non-bulbous forehead.

What I find more disturbing is the suggestion that you can order up your own horse using 1-click.

By the way, the ad may have been made in the UK with a UK horse, but the text within the ad is German.

It is a cute commercial--definitely a dwarfy mini (the horse doesn't even seem to walk properly) and I wasn't impressed that she just put the little horse out with the big horses that way...but it has a happy ending!

AngC - I don't see anything indicating you can buy a horse with 1-click...

it was the large pet door she ordered with 1-click.

By the way, the ad may have been made in the UK with a UK horse, but the text within the ad is German.
Only because it has been shared as a German subtitles. It's quite English and in English on my television.
The issue is that people think this dwarf is what we, miniature breeders, do. They think we breed deformed tiny "cute" things. We are NEVER going to be taken seriously in the horse world when this animal is our mascot.

Definitely a dwarf. And all we can really do is educate educate educate. I have explained about dwarfism to many many people over the years and some get it and some do not. But I commend all of you who are trying. Keep up the good work.
default_smile.png

This is filmed in the UK using a UK horse that I believe had American breeding.

It is causing quite a stir over here too.

Of all the healthy good examples of miniature horses Amazon chose to use a dwarf of what is causing the friction over here with people then thinking that a dwarf of a good buy

AngC - I don't see anything indicating you can buy a horse with 1-click...

It was the large pet door she ordered with 1-click.
oh geez, shove me down the stupid chute. I suck at figuring out commercials.

I would never saw a hole in any of our doors to install a pet door to allow horses in the house, even if we could find a door on Amazon that was large enough to accommodate their fat asses. That was an advertisement, but do people really bring their minis into the house? ???

oh geez, shove me down the stupid chute. I suck at figuring out commercials.

I would never saw a hole in any of our doors to install a pet door to allow horses in the house, even if we could find a door on Amazon that was large enough to accommodate their fat asses. That was an advertisement, but do people really bring their minis into the house? ???
Some people do actually bring them in the house and some for more than a quick visit or a foal that needs warming up.

I brought my morgan in the house when I was a kid....but I come from a broken home so, I never really had parental supervision. Christopher Robyn liked coming inside, he used to watch tv. Of course now, as a responsible (sort-of) adult, I realize how lucky I was that he did not get hurt or fall through the floor! I wouldn't install a doggy door either, I would end up with raccoons, opossums and skunks in the house, never mind every barn cat. I put a colt in our stand up shower once too, he needed a bath and it was too cold outside. What a mess that was. cache_283573804.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom told me that grandma brought her mare in the kitchen one day when she was a kid, grandpa wasn't thrilled; don't recall the why, but probably just because she could.

Latest posts

Back