Dusty's Progress

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my well-sprung horses, I HAVE to leave the girth looser or it WILL gall the elbow. We have done it with our big horse a number of times until we learned to leave it loose. Otherwise, it wants to migrate forward into the elbow and pinch. It really does depend on the horse's conformation

You're right about the transitions for controlling speed. Just don't do them too fast that your horse gets annoyed. You can also rate your horse's trot and walk. Ask for more impulsion at the walk for a while, and then ask to "saunter". Then transfer that to the trot, especially in circles.

Myrna

I checked the girth several times, compromising between somewhat loose and not as tight as a riding saddle.

We had a very good workout yesterday. After we got home, I asked my husband to get us on camera so I could better see what we are doing. Unfortunately, the terrain where we needed to be for photographing movement is pretty rough (you can see my dog fell out of the cart at one point--he tries to sit up on the seat and it is too slippery). So our movement isn't as smooth as if we were on the road.

I am wondering if anyone can tell about the length of the traces, though the picture probably isn't clear enough. I think I have them in the correct hole.

I have a question about where to put my feet. If I keep them under me, on the axle to minimize weight on the saddle, I don't really have the stability for any unexpected moves on the part of the horse. Is it all right to put my feet more forward in the cart?

I value everyone's input and advice.

Traces look good, horse looks good, video is great to see! It gives so much better a picture of what's really going on than just a photo or two.
default_wub.png
Yes, go ahead and put your feet forward. I usually travel with one flat on the floor, another against the angled part of the floorboards, knees parallel and my spine pulled up tall with my weight centered over the seat. Driving that way will work your core muscles like little else!
default_biggrin.png

Leia

Cool!
default_488.gif
I wish that we had a digital camera. I would love to take more video of my horses!

I agree with Leia about your position, but will add that you need to pick up your whip and use it.
default_yes.gif
Did I see you wiggling your reins for forward movement when you first walked off or was that from the bumpy ground?
default_unsure.png
If that is what you were doing, you are giving a "forward" and "stop" cue at the same time. The reins are bumping the horse in the mouth that cues them to stop or turn while getting slapped in the butt for forward.
default_nono.gif
It's a fallacy that you shouldn't use your whip.

Looks like you are making good progress!

Myrna

Thanks, Leia. I've seen pictures of drivers with one foot forward. I will try that.

Buddy loves to ride in the cart. Usually I try to make him ride on the floorboard. I have a little rug there so he doesn't fall between the cracks.

I'm also thinking I need to get Dusty more collected on rough terrain so he can have his body ready to pull forward from a stop.

I just saw your reply, Myrna. I was taught to signal forward movement with slight finger tension. This has seemed to work well on Dusty. I do use the whip for cueing also, but I was taught to use the rein signal. He seems to have no problem differentiating between a forward signal and whoa. But I will try using the whip to cue forward and see if it works better.

I want to comment that we are doing so much better since I am holding my reins closer together and balancing myself in the cart with one foot forward. I am working on supporting him in the turns with both reins and it seems as though he is bending pretty well. I can really tell a difference when I hold the reins correctly. Thanks for those observations!

I am trying hard to start Dusty better than I did Dapper Dan.

I took Dusty into town for the first time today. He did remarkably well. We drove out to the horse pens, where the town folks keep their horses, and he got a little silly out there, but nothing too bad. He wasn't nearly as silly as those big horses when they saw him and the cart!

He drives through water out here with no problem, but he wouldn't go through the puddles in the street. I had to get out and lead him through several puddles, then finally he went through them on his own.

We encountered lawn mowers, motorcyles, skateboards, petting, noisy dogs, and running children.

I thought about trying to use the whip more to cue, instead of my hands, but it won't work until I can get a whip with a longer lash. So I am just going to keep on doing it the way I am till I can find a longer lashed whip.

Working on keeping my hands and feet positioned properly.

default_aktion033.gif
Thats great. Sounds like you had a really good drive. You and Dusty are quite the team. How proud you must be feeling at this moment.

Funny about the puddles though. It amazes how they can pick that one thing that bothers them and it seems so silly to us. But I'm sure it looked different somehow to him.

Keep coming with the updates.

Marie

Very pleased with Dusty's progress! I found an arena to work in. The distractions of two donkeys, a stallion and two mares by the arena has been helpful.

He is backing up much better now, also.

Have not put the blinders back on him yet, or a check.

We are still keeping our driving workouts around 2 miles of road work, or 40 minutes arena/obstacles as I don't want to work him too hard as he is only 3.

He is in the regular cart now, not the light sulky.

I'm working on keeping my hands and posture more correct. Practicing using the whip to cue.

On days we dont' drive I try to do ground work: backing, turns, cavaletti, side passing.

I'm having so much fun with him, I had to make myself take Dapper Dan out for a drive on Sunday!

Sounds like you are having such a great time with Dusty. Dapper Dan probably really enjoyed being driven for a change. Now we just need some updated pictures of you and Dusty. Like the ones of the puppy in them also.

Marie

Latest posts

Back