Dust bowl in california going to affect food

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I work in a grocery store I see what states our fruits and veggies come from, quite a bit comes from California. My sister in law lives in the northern part and there is a water ban. She can't water her lawn or plants. Not a good thing all around.

I have to confess with my dial up that I couldn't read the whole article, I have an ill horse to care for, but this situation is'nt going away any time soon. What scares me even more is the water crisis up North with those that get water from the great lakes and the algea bloom that has caused a shortage. There is also a large gap between the haves and have nots in more ways then just money. Some of us are like the little ant, putting food and water away for the winter and some are like the grasshopper, just playing around until the winter comes and they discover they have nothing! Better be prepared, cuaswe those grasshoppers will try to steal what the ant has. That isn't going to happen around here.

I have heard about the drought and I know what that is going to do to our fruit/vegetable prices here this year. We get a great deal of our fresh food from California and I will be surprised if prices don't get so high that low income families can't maintain a balanced diet with out a lot of help from government and social support networks. The ones who will do best are those who are involved in community gardens or like my daughter receive a 'good food box' monthly. Seniors who have been self reliant may have problems and I am wondering even how our soup kitchens and the like will manage since I doubt their donations will increase to cover the extra costs. Its something my husband and I were discussing recently. Why is it that the largest populations seem to end up in places that are desert like and artificially supported by outside water sources? Las Vegas is an extreme example, what happens there when the water drys up? California is not meant to support such large farms either, the demand for water is more than nature is prepared for IMO. And so many of us rely on the out put from this artificial environment.

We had a terrible drought In Victoria where I live about 6 years ago, a lot of our country is still in the midst of drought and most likely always will be.

We had a water ban like your sisters Lucky Seven, I think it went on for nearly 2 years. No watering of lawns, Cars, gardens ect.

Any "Run off" water from washing machines, showers, kitchen sink water could be saved for the garden, to wash cars if you wanted to.

Local football/ cricket ovals watering systems were turned off, Sporting seasons cancelled.

We even had special times as the drought eased to allow you to use the water in your garden, Odd numbered houses were Monday, wed, fri and even numbered houses were tues, thurs and sat

Hundreds of Farmers lost their businesses, and a lot took their own lives as the Help you would expect from the government "Just wasn't there"

Cattle and Sheep were perishing due to no food and water, and our farmers just couldn't go on........

I was in my mid 20s when this was happening , I kept my only horse at the time at a friends place.

The one thing I learned after Going thru a Drought- "Prepare"

When the drought Hits , prices will go up $^$^$^$^$^$^$^$^ Food , cost of living ect.

I admire everyone on here that grows there own produce and cans their own harvest, Breeds Cattle for own personal food usage ect

Praying your farmers get the rain they need,
default_smile.png

Ryan

Consider all of the basically clean water going down the drain from showers, sinks, and laundries everywhere. Reclaimed grey water would make such a huge difference, and with droughts and global warming, we can't afford to waste this any longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw an advertisement the other day about making sure you booked a great hotel when you travel. It showed a guy step into the shower (the ad said he was in San Diego) and only a trickle came out of the shower head. Then another guy, different shower and a virtual waterfall came out. Both my husband and I looked at it a an example of waste rather than luxury. I know that tourism is a big deal in California but showers should be the first things dialed back. Any traveller who can't understand the need to conserve water in dry environments should stay home. Many years ago we travelled to California and if we wanted even a glass of water in a restaurant we had to ask. Hotels had signs asking for short showers and taps turned off when you brushed your teeth etc. I saw no problem with any of it and still don't. We are all far too careless about our resources IMO.

I have to admit that I'm a bit spoiled, when the electric is out and I turn on the tap there is nothing there I need to brush my teeth with bottled water, it is a bother. We have a water barrel under the gutters of the stallion barn just in case, we use it to flush but not much else because the water comes from the barn roof and well we all know about the birds. We have a washing machine in our indoor, training barn that has a very long pvc pipe. So whenever I wash horse blankets I can position the run off to go into one of our small gardens. WE used to have a dry well setup outside of the kitchen/laundry room but hubby fixed it so that all that drainoff goes out to the paddock to water the grass. I must admit without electric life gets real hard, been there and done that.

Oh I agree with you Terry, I am spoiled too. I grew up (well until I was 11 or 12) without electricity - also did without running water until I left home and there was no such thing as a thermostat in our home when I was a kid. Wood heat is great but when that heater goes out because you are away from home too long or it wasn't banked properly for the night things get really cold really quickly. At least we had no pipes to burst and we did learn a great deal about how to manage without conveniences but heaven forgive me, I LIKE convenience. You probably do more to save water than I do at home, I try to respect the source and I don't do chemicals if they can be avoided, in my home or in my garden. But I do use well water to keep my garden and greenhouse growing and was my truck. I don't save water at all anymore in barrels or a cistern so I know I should be doing more - it seems we have endless clean water here even when we are having a prolonged hot/dry spell like now but nothing is endless including our water supply. I just meant that when I am in a place where water is at a premium I try to make sure to use only what I need for my day to day living.

Latest posts

Back