DuQuoin, Illionois show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minih

Reaction score
I had at first thought I was crazy to sign up for a horse show when one of the temps last week was 105 on our back porch and stayed around that for a couple of days. Then the tropical storm and a cool front brought some very pretty weather around so that was straightened out. Then I knew I was crazy to go to a horse show when we were not getting water out of our well. Called the pump guy and he could not be here until Friday afternoon. My dear hubby said go ahead and he would stay behind and take care of getting water to 20 something horses and take care of the pump. So Chasta and I went to DuQuoin, Illinois without my husband or mother (who was sick from an infection, they both looove to go to horse shows). Then I really felt guilty when we get there and it was the most beautiful weather anyone could ask for in August, down in the 60's at night and it did not go over the 80's during the day. Also found out our well is going dry and we have to dig a new one
default_no.gif
I told Jay he could write a bad country song, his family left him alone and the well went dry!
default_smile.png

It was a very nice show (it usually is), lots of the usual friendly faces and for us the last show this year til Nationals. It was well worth going tho, our yearling over stallion "Erica's Big City's Bailey's On Ice" received a Reserve Jr Champion under one judge and our yearling over mare "Curry's Estrellita" received Jr Champion under both judges and Grand Champion under both judges!

Wish us luck that the well guy is able to get out here to drill this week, he said if things did not come together right it would be next week
default_new_shocked.gif
Not good.
default_sad.png

Congratulations Terri on your and Chasta's wins!
default_aktion033.gif

Hopefully the well guy will get you taken care of real quick!
default_yes.gif

Congratulations to both you and Chasta! Your yearling filly is gorgeous & she looked great out there yesterday!

Congratulations on your wins. The temp here was 63 this morning although it was raining but we need the rain. Hope the well guy gets you going on your water. I know its no fun having to haul water for all the horses.

Wow, you had some ups and downs, didn't you? I hope the well situation is resolved VERY quickly!! And congratulations on you wins!!!

Hope the well guy gets you going on your water. I know its no fun having to haul water for all the horses.
Thanks to good friends who let us bum water from them!
default_wink.png

Thank you everyone for your congrats and compliments.

Congratulations on your wins, Terri!!!

In 2002, our well went dry and there was a record drought in VA and a lot of wells went dry... which meant all the contractors had huge waiting lists. It went dry the end of September and it was JANUARY before we had running water in our house! We signed a contract to have it done the week it went dry and I called the contractor every week for updates on "when" they'd drill it. Urgh... We didn't have as many horses then, but it was still a mess. I am sure you won't be doing that "it's like camping in doors" thing nearly as long as we did but you won't ever not appreciate the miracle of turning a knob and having running water for the rest of your life
default_laugh.png

Congratulations on your placings. Your filly is gorgeous. That facility is really nice. One of the nicest that I have been to. Glad the temps were good as that always help. Hope you get your new well soon.

Arlene

Hi Terri, it was nice to get to visit with you at the show. DuQuoin is always one of our favorite shows to go to. The fairgrounds is so nice. Congratulations on your wins. Cindy

It was nice visiting with you too, I always enjoy this show since the facilities are so nice and such a relaxed atmosphere.

Congrats!! Your babies did u proud. Good luck with your well. We know what its like to have no water and that was when we had 80-90 horses! That was thanks to the 2 hurricanes that hit Florida several years ago and had no electric to run the pump for several weeks. It sure isnt fun.

default_risa8.gif
Well with a week and no water we had a very good thing happen! Best thing to happen! We were waiting on the well guy to get in touch with us to let us know when he would be at the house to drill the new well and night before last my husband was walking thru the barn and noticed a small round dent in the ground. It has been raining here and it looked damp but there was no water around it, so he bent down to touch it and his hand went into the ground up to his wrist and it was wet!
default_new_shocked.gif
Making a long story short, found a very bad leak that was knocking the pressure off the pump and losing water. We filled up three troughs last night for the horses, took showers and ran a load of clothes after Jay fixed the leak. The pump guy is to come in the morning and give us the all clear and put a shut off valve out to the barns so we can turn them off if we start to lose pressure again.
default_488.gif

you won't ever not appreciate the miracle of turning a knob and having running water for the rest of your life
default_yes.gif
We have been out before during ice storms but knew at the time it was temporary, this was too really but with a large mess and a large amount of money to drill in this area right now, not to mention the dirty water you get with a new well for a while. I am keeping my fingers crossed the pump guy says everything is AOK!

With all the water used for laundry etc, it sounds like you might have found the problem. Still keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Latest posts

Back