Dun Gene Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do people only do the genetic testing for horses they want to breed? Mine is a gelding so it's more of a curiosity factor; plus he's not registered (no papers at all).

And what does it cost to have genetic testing? Where could I find more information?

Thanks.

Do people only do the genetic testing for horses they want to breed? Mine is a gelding so it's more of a curiosity factor; plus he's not registered (no papers at all).

And what does it cost to have genetic testing? Where could I find more information?

Thanks.
I use http://www.petdnaservicesaz.com/

Tests are $25 each, except silver which is $35. You can test for extension (black vs red), agouti (makes blacks into bays), cream, tobiano, frame (aka lethal white aka OLW), and silver. Oh yeah, and Sb1, but that's just ONE forum of sabino, so not worth the money to me.

BTW I've had a gelding tested, just because I wanted to know what he was!
default_smile.png
I wanted confirmation my guess was correct (and it was).

And I'm in the process of having all my breeding minis tested. One down, 2 I just mailed in... the rest will follow in time.

Jessi

markerwithmargaritssis.jpg

This colt was born last year. His momma is a red dun ( minimal markings) and his sire is a bay frame overo. At one year old he appears to be a buckskin color dun, but I think the term is probably "yellow dun". As a weanling first clipped he had a grullo tone to his color. He has the shoulder bars and zebra stripes on his legs. About a dozen or so markings on each front leg. Points are above his knees. He is very striking in color. I owned his grandam also who was a red dun also and she had many more markings on her legs than her daughter, the dam to this colt. He also has the dorsal strip and had his face not been white probably would have the webbing as well since he is so heavily marked dun.

He will make a striking driving horse with all his color, not to mention his action!

Latest posts

Back