Dumped on the highway

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
Thank you to the kind lady who stopped on the Trans Canada highway one day just over a week ago and picked up this poor dog. He was in the middle of the highway, turning in circles, completely lost & confused. He was bleeding profusely from the nose. She stopped and got him into her car and brought him with her--an hours drive & she found the vet clinic I use, and dropped him off there. He was still bleeding when he got to the clinic. X-rays showed that he had fractures in his nose and sinuses...a few days later one incisor had to be pulled because it was so loose. They think perhaps he was hit by a car, but I'm inclined to think that if he were hit by a vehicle at highway speed his injuries would be much worse. Facial injuries of this kind is consistant with the animal being thrown out the window of a moving vehicle--and I would guess that is what happened to this fellow.

The clinic had to try and locate his owner, but they hoped no one would come forward to claim him. He was in terrible condition--filthy, with fleas and ear mites, and he was so very skinny. If they didn't find his owner....who would have to pay the entire vet bill before they could claim him...they said they would rehome him.

My mom has been wanting a border collie...I saw him on Monday and the vet was thrilled to have us adopt him. This weekend he is home with us and seems very happy to be here. He is staying in the house....he's much too thin to live outside this winter! He goes out with us to do chores--he is having a ball playing with Arielle, our Shepherd; he thought the ponies were very scary at first but has them figured out now. He knows to run if they try to chase him....and they do, because they've never seen a dog like him before!...

He came with the name Striker, but he didn't seem to like that name. We have tried many different names, and the only one he likes is Freddy. When I try other names, he pays no attention, or even looks offended and trots the other way. When I call "Freddy" he turns and comes to me.

He picked his own blanket for his bed, he is pretty much house broken and can be let outside alone when he needs to pee--he comes right back to the door. Now he just needs to learn to bark so we know when he's ready to come in. He's pretty good with the cats--would like to chase if he sees them run across the yard outside but he comes off instantly when called & I think in time he will be okay with them. He's about 6 months old.

This aren't great photos, just a couple I snapped real quick just now.

73820_157207457657617_100001050908312_312396_8289042_n.jpg

73820_157207464324283_100001050908312_312397_5499988_n.jpg

And another one finds a forever home! Thank you so much for sharing! Congratulations on what looks like a beautiful new addition to the family!

He's beautiful! Many Angels came to his rescue!

Looks like he was also hurt emotionaly. I know he'll heal with all love you will heap on him!
default_yes.gif

I have tears in my eyes too!

I think this was meant to be...........

Don't question that he's chosen his name. He obviously is telling you FREDDY. (We tend to let our dogs, cats, AND horses name themselves.
default_wink.png
)

What a great happy ending for this little guy.
default_wub.png

Holly, your numbers are going up rapidly!
default_smile.png
Congrats on the new guy. He is very cute and looks really sweet. It's wonderful that you could give him a loving home. I hope karma find the people who threw him out of their car.
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Yeah, two rescues in just one week--first Jasper and now Freddy. That better be all for awhile. But, we're quite taken with Freddy--he is a very sweet dog. And we are sure enjoying Jasper's company--he is a very entertaining kitten!

We got a cat that way. We were driving home from a play and in the middle of the road was this tiny ball of orange. My mother insisted we drive around it. I stopped. He was little more than a hand full. He had blood out his nose and ears. Hair was ripped from his tail. We (I) took him home with the intent to take him to animal control the next day. As I was getting ready to take him the next day my mom said "Well, we already have food invested in him. He can stay". He had one ear bent back at the tip and we called him Trouble because thats what he was in when we found him.

there is a place in heaven for you!!! freddy looks SO sweet and what a lucky boy that you came along just at the right time!
default_aktion033.gif

I cried while reading your post. THANK YOU for showing this poor little soul that not all of us humans are mean and evil. You are truly a guardian angel!

I'm so glad you have given Freddy a loving home. I just thought I would offer an alternative theory though; it is possible he fell out of the back of a truck. That does happen. Either way, shame on whoever it was that was being either irresponsible or downright mean.

What a beautiful little pup - and thanks to you he is also a very lucky one too, with a lifetime of happiness and love in front of him!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
default_yes.gif

Anna

OMG that is just awful!! Absolutely the person who picked him up is an angel for sure!!!!! I am sure in his confusion he would have been killed on that road! That just makes me SICK what some people do.

He is lovely and sounds like he is a smart dog and will be a good one!! And bless YOU for taking him!!! Please keep us posted on how he is doing and I hope he heals with a full recovery and no problems.

That is just so sad and breaks my heart to hear what he has gone through in his short life!

Jayne--I did consider the possibility that he jumped/fell out of the back of a pickup truck. That is always possible. Still, if that is what happened it was pretty irresponsible of his human to leave him in the box without any restraint. I just don't think that is what happened--could be wrong, but it's not the impression that I get from him.

Regardless, whoever had him didn't look after him well, judging by how filthy and how terribly thin he was when he was picked up. Filthy I could forgive....the skinny part is what gets me!

Freddy hasn't been feeling well--I think he's had kennel cough. He was okay when I brought him home. One day on the weekend, I can't remember if it was Sat. afternoon or Sunday morning, he went outside for a pee. When he came back in he was choking. I thought he'd snooped around & inhaled something that made him kind of chokey. But, it didn't go away. yesterday it sounded more like a cough, less like a snort/choke. This evening he's much better--not coughing nearly so much, and he's much more lively again. Yesterday he was pretty quiet. He's still on antibiotics for his nose injury and extracted tooth, so those meds should help to prevent him getting any secondary bacterial infection after the kennel cough.

Hope he gets well real soon Holly. Poor little guy, he has had a rough time of it. Lucky he has you and your mom now. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back