Dumb Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scout

Reaction score
I am having a bit a disagreement with a friend and I hope that someone here can help settle this. I am hoping to get a cart in the spring and am pricing them now. I had planned to get a cart that would hopefully fit both of my minis, but my friend is saying that I will need two different carts because of their size difference. What do you guys think?

My gelding is 32-34in (depends on who measures) quarterhorse type and my stud (maybe gelding to be) is about 37in arab type (all legs).

I suspect you'll need at least a cart which allows you change out shafts based on the heights you offered- how long is each mini??? If the smaller one is closer to the 34" height you can might be able to use the same wheels.

I've got a 31" mini and 34" mini and they cannot share the same cart mainly because the smaller one is just not as long in the shafts. My cart's shafts are part of the frame and thus are not interchangeable I think some cart styles are so keep asking.

Right now they are both wearing 48 blankets. I wouldn't say that either of them is long backed.

here a few pics if that helps.

scout 32-34in gelding

scoutstandingprofile.jpg

Gambler 36-37 stud

38F03-9-40-29.jpg

Side by side(sorry scout's in back only pic on puter that they're both in)

ministogetherprofile.jpg

How old is Gambler? From the pics, he doesn't look fully grown, so I'm thinking you may end up with him taller than 37" making it harder to use the same cart for both. My smallest driving mini is 31.25" and my tallest is about 36.5". From what I can see using my carts on my horses, it has more to do with the length of the horse than the height.

Gambler is almost 2 ( no flames please. He should finish about 37. He's closer 36 now and hasn't done much growing in the last 6 months) I plan to start ground driving when the weather breaks here about may, by then he'll be 2.5 with no pulling until vet clears it) He looks younger because he lacks muscle tone in these pics. He has filled out a bit more now that he's out with Scout and playing instead of standing around.

Also could anyone give me an idea of what sized cart I may need? If you think that I need two that okay too.

Thanks.

At 2 your guy not only lacks muscle tone but may fill out a lot more by 3. My 29" mini looked like a rail at 2 but this winter he has filled out and broadened and now looks like he might be able to handle pulling a cart. My point is your horse may change a lot between 2 and 3 and may not fit in the cart that looks good now!

I understand about not wanting to have to buy 2 carts so don't rush into anything. If you can wait until he's matured then wait. Otherwise the idea of buying a cart that has interchangeable shafts might be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things to consider are length of the shafts, height of the wheels and WIDTH between the shafts.

If the body lengths remain pretty close in length --- then you might can just get away with 2 sets of wheels -- one the large size and one the smaller size. Wheels are not hard to change out.

Even if your 2yo is finished in height (or nearly) he MAY still grow in length -- up until he is 5 or 6!

I have several horses that looked "finished" at two -- and they still grew a little (filling out mostly) -- a bit more bulk to them -- and one got a bit longer too.

Good luck

JJ

My Country Road cart fits minis between 32" to 39".

They have two Wheel sizes for this cart and it is easy to balance.

There is a utility cart that has changeable shafts, so it can fit our minis to our QH. it comes in a kit... If you want more info, please PM me, and I'll go find the info. It has two rows of seats for four people...

God Bless,

Lynn W

Latest posts

Back