Droopy Filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vet had not wanted to jump in with antibiotics yet since she was not running a fever, but we changed the plan last night
default_smile.png
. Had one of the other vets out to check another horse, and he felt we had given her long enough with this. She's on Naxcel along with the Gastroguard & Probios. Was still pretty lethargic as of midnight but beginning to look a little better. I gave everyone in the barn some warm sloppy beet pulp with a little chopped alfalfa mixed in, and she actually came up and chowed down with her dam. I didn't see her nurse but the mare's bag was soft when I went to milk her out, so I hope we have turned the corner.

The filly next to her had diarrhea last night, so I guess it's going to work it's way through....
default_wacko.png
Will start her right off on Naxcel if she looks puny.

Jan

Edited to say - she was at the feed dish with mom this morning, ears up and eating like she was hungry, and she had obviously nursed!
default_aktion033.gif
Looks like we are headed in the right direction, now just a week of giving shots to a baby...never my favorite thing!

Becky, hope your colt is improving too.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is wonderful news Jan!

I hope she continues to improve for you.

Beth

Hey, Jan, that sounds like really good news on your filly! Eating is always a good sign and sometimes systemic antibiotics are needed.

My colt seems to have turned the corner and he's in great shape today. No more diarrhea and he was out bright and perky - running and bucking. Nursing well, eating with his dam this morning and grazing in the grassy paddock I've had them in today. I'll keep him on Probios and ranitidine for a few more days and he should be ok.

Now if my 3 week old preemie colt that I'm trying so hard to save will continue to show improvement.....

I feel like I've been running a hospital here this week!

Sounds like good news for both Jan's and Becky's 'babies'--glad to read it, and sending hopes that all continues to improve on all fronts!

Margo

I feel like I've been running a hospital here this week!
I know that feeling - mine started a couple of weeks ago with a big mare slicing the inside of her leg to the bone.....lots of bandage changing and antibiotics for her, almost all healed now and I haven't got a clue what she found to cut herself on even after both of us walking her pasture twice.

And whatever my filly has, has now moved on to another one.....just beginning the same symptoms & behavior so it looks like I'll be giving a lot of Naxcel this week. Ugh.

Jan

Latest posts

Back