Driving webinar

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renee

Reaction score
I hope everyone remembered the driving webinar. It was very well presented. Hope they do more of them.

default_laugh.png
It was great ! I learned so much !......Ann

What were your big "ah-ha's"? I "relearned" about cavesons/nosebands that don't have hangers will migrate down the face and become too loose and interfere with the bit.

Also, one of the ladies at my Webinar Party has a Morgan that she purchased a Glory bit for. The mare is constantly messing with her tongue, and did also with the Glory bit. We learned that she needs to be more patient in trying the bit out, as the horse "experiments" with where to put their tongue with that bit. She had given up much faster.

I also thought Jeff's discussion regarding saddle fit was good. I thought it was good how he emphasized that all saddles should have gullet clearance, especially SO many mini saddles, esp. cheap ones, don't have clearance at all and sit directly on the spine. His points made about treeless saddles were good, but I didn't think he went far enough to explain that there are treed saddles that also have good pressure distribution and gullet clearance. I understand what he was saying about how traditional treed saddles are designed, but some harness makers are now making the padding wider and softer, while still using the tree to maintain the shape of the saddle.

The presentation handout is available on the ADS website for downloading.

Myrna

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope everyone remembered the driving webinar. It was very well presented. Hope they do more of them.
I talked with the ADS Executive Director last night. There are other webinars planned, but I don't know if I am at liberty to say what they are. I don't think they are officially scheduled yet.

Myrna

Let's see, I really liked his examples of kicking straps and how they should be positioned.

I learned that it IS OK to use a pad (but not a fuzzy one) if the horse really needs one. That would be our Princess!

I have never heard the explanation of what color harness goes with what color cart before. I knew the metal on harness and cart needed to match, but his examples were great.

Anyone else surprised at how many people were on there last night?? Even up to 10PM here on the east coast.

I was one of the 700 people who signed up and stayed up! We're on the east coast so not a big problem BUT I go to bed early as I rise around 4am.

The webinar was very good and I think Jeff Morse did a super job in presenting....we'd like to keep his name around for a possible clinician to one of our local driving clubs. He was very knowledgeable and forthcoming.

I think the bits section got a shorted a little since the saddle section went so long ....and bits are always of such interest to us drivers. Maybe they'll schedule a full webinar on Bits and their uses....I know there's a lot of us who would just soak all of that up!

I thought the gentleman from Germany deserved much credit ...up at 2am for this webinar! Very nice!

As an ADS member, I was thrilled that they got such a healthy response.

Cindy

The webinar was great. I learned a lot and I too was glad he explained kick straps with pictures for position. The noseband portion was interesting and informative. I hope they have more webinars. Bits are always an interesting topic. Michele

I really enjoyed this webinar! I love the idea of being able to see a clinician that normally may be out of my reach, either financially or geographically. I have downloaded the handouts, and will be referring back to them quite often. A question that I thought of afterwards was: when using a pad on your saddle, doesn't it negate the gullet clearance for the spine that we all know is so important? I have considered making my own two piece pad, leaving a gap in the middle. Any flaws in this thinking? I also have to dig thru my box of misc. parts to find the cavesson hanger strap that came with my harness. I ditched it because I thought it really cluttered up the cheek, but I guess I should go for function first. I agree that we could probably do a whole session on bits.

A question that I thought of afterwards was: when using a pad on your saddle, doesn't it negate the gullet clearance for the spine that we all know is so important? I have considered making my own two piece pad, leaving a gap in the middle. Any flaws in this thinking?
I haven't had to use a pad, but I have thought the same thing about leaving the gap in the middle. Hmm, wonder if I could design one....
default_biggrin.png

Myrna

p.s. I will pass on all your suggestions about a "just bits" webinar.

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband talked with the ADS Exec. Sec. the other night, and she said there were a LOT people on the webinar the other night that completed the survey and indicated they were miniature horse drivers. Yippee!

Lots of mini drivers..good news!

I liked the information in detail on the different types of bits. That always confuses me...

Back