Driving Training!?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForMyACDs

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of any pony trainers in the Michigan area (we are in SW Michigan) who could RE-start a pony's driving training?

We have a 10hh grade pony that we purchased about a year ago. She was supposed to be Amish trained to drive, but of course I wasn't willing to trust that as I only ever trust what I see and what I was seeing just didn't support that.

When this pony came to us she was extremely head shy and more than a little reluctant to being caught. We've spent this last year making her life wonderful and bringing her around to the point that she will approach us, will allow herself to be caught quite easily and we can actually reach for her head now without her running over herself in an attempt to get away.

She's really quite a nice girl and willing to please. She really isn't stupid about things (her only big issue was the head shyness.....nothing else really seems to phase her) and isn't at all a kicker. I just don't have the facilities to get her going again (or restart her......that's kind of what we're expecting to do at this point) and would like for this to be done right. Tho' I've ground driven a lot of horses over the years this will be our first cart horse and we would like for it to be a good experience for all involved. It would be even better if there were lessons for myself to go along with this training. Again, I want to do this right.

Suggestions? Referrals?

arlene foulk is training fran and mines stallion to drive right now. shes in ohio but she is a great trainer. If you cant find anything in your state you might want to consider her. We are just estatic with what she has done with Crunch!

Even though we live in the thumb area of Michigan we have used Arlene Foulk for a number of years to train our horses. Arlene has trained several for driving and in halter Two of our horses have received Hall Of Fame in Halter one top ten in driving at Nationals and others have done well in driving and only one had some driving experience. All the others she broke to drive. Her web site is on our links page which you can click on at the bottom of the post were is says Filipowicz Farm.
default_yes.gif
:

Thumbs up for Arlene! She has done excellent with Crunch. I love to go over there and drive/work with Crunch! Kay and I call it Camp Arlene. LOL I think we need T-shirts.

Fran

Jim & Becky McKeith is another option. www.snowberryfarm.com

They train very well and i think if your just re-training or putting more miles on, a month is about what will be needed or maybe two months. They do both Miniature horses and Shetlands (classics and moderns) so i think they could be of some help to you and are also a bit closer.

Good luck
default_smile.png

Where in Ohio is Arlene located? Her website only kind of seems to work and I didn't see where it said what city they're located in.

"P" isn't exactly a show pony, we only want her reliable for pleasure driving. Of course we certainly don't have any problems sending her for 60 days training if that is what it takes.

Arlene lives at 5415 Tschopp Rd Pleasantville Ohio 43148 phone 1-740-862-8178

Oh, ouch. I certainly don't mind driving but in looking for a trainer where I can also take lessons weekly or every other week I think 5 1/2 hours one way may be a bit too far even for me.

Latest posts

Back