Driving Training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
I am teaching wee man to drive right now and of course i am ground driving now. I am having a probelem or two witht he little man!he wont listen tot he bit I think it is because he doesnt understand when i pulll wherer i want him to go how can i get hiommt o start listening to the bit??also he tryis to turn towards me since i am behind him. any geound driving traing exc tips would be greatly appreicated also any tips on my probelems how to fiz would be great:)Thanks again!

I had the same problem with my gelding. When he trys to turn towards you put the reins down near where the breaching would go & put pressure on him with it. Also stay behind him as best as you can. That way it will be more like the cart. He wont be able to turn around if you have the reins there.

Lorna

I don't know if this will help you, but if my husband is available, he will help me start by having a collar (we use large dog collars) to give him a little tug on to get him to go forward or to turn the way I want. I also use a narrow walkway (about 4 ft wide) so it is harder for him to turn around until I let him. Best of luck--I am sure you will figure what works for you.

Angie

When I start my horses to bit, the first thing I do.... Is teach them to turn using the halter.

You get a halter that fits like a side pull. There is a couple of ways to do this.

The best way is to have some help.

Clip driving reins to each side of the halter, have another person clip a lead line onto the halter where it would normally go. You can run the reins through a surcingle or not, which ever way feels more comfortable to you.

You have your helper lead your horse, You walk behind your horse holding the reins lightly. When you say "Walk on", your helper walks on, and so does your horse. When you say Left/Come, your helper will turn left, at the same time lightly pull on the left rein. To turn right, say right/Get, doing the same thing. Remember with each turn you will have to make sure the opposite rein is not tight, as you do not want to give mix signals.

Take your time, stay at a walk. As your horse gets more and more used to using the reins to let him know where to go, you will need your helper less and less. Once you no longer need your helper, then he is ready to move onto a bit.

Have simplified this a bit.

Doing it yourself is a little more complicated, but will explain if you are interested.

Latest posts

Back