Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stripe13

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm still kind of new to driving (only been driving for about 2 months now, luckily my horse already knows how to drive), so I have a few questions about driving in shows. I have seen all different styles of driving, from western country pleasure to roadster. my question is, what makes all these styles different from each other? I have seen horses that are shown with their heads down and low and others have their heads up and alert. Is there a reason for this? Is it because of their side/Overchecks/reins? Is it dependent on style?

I haven't shown my minis in any official miniature shows yet (I show in my Washington state high school equestrian team meets, which is focus more on how well patterns are completed instead of a horse's conformation), so i'm working on learning as much as I can before I start next year! I'm trying to find what driving class work work best for my mini, Jessica. She has a naturally low headset, and a very good temperament. Unfortunately she measures 38" so she can't be shown in AMHA shows, but I'm hoping I can show her in pinto and AMHR shows next year. I need to get some pics/videos of her driving, but I am thinking she would do well in western country pleasure. What do you guys think?

Also one last question, if a mini is shown in one style of driving, say Western country pleasure, do you think they could be shown successfully in another style of driving as well?

Thank you so much for the help!

As far as the definition of each driving style, I can't help you and am wondering the same thing myself. As for doing 2 or more different styles it is very possible. It would be like ridding western and English with the same quarter horse.

I think the AMHA rule book has good descriptions of the driving styles. It might be available online. Or perhaps you can find someone local who has the Rule Book. There have been quite a few changes in the classes in the last few years. It's good the registries are trying to accommodate more styles, but it can also be confusing.

I Am Ranch has some great educational information on driving.

In both AMHA & AMHR you may not cross enter in the driving classes. So if you show in Country Western pleasure classes, you cannot show in country pleasure driving at that show.

Both registries have descriptions of what is expected in each class, but I would definitely check out IAmRanch.com. they also (I believe) have videos on the different styles.

Latest posts

Back