Driving Sneakers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can any one post links to the boots that you are looking at? Are they the barrier boots? or the sneakers?

I purchased the davis barrier boot for my shetland today from Ozark. So, I'll be trying out the davis barrier boot and I'll get back with the forum on how they work out. The other reason for ordering Davis vs Sabre sneaker is that Ozark Mtn told me that the sneakers would not hold up under heavy driving times or conditions. The bottoms are made of leather. She said they would hold up for a while - maybe 3-6months but depending on the terrain and length of driving time and gait they are used it could be shorter. My mini mare is lighter weight, I usually only drive her a few miles at a time at a walk and not always over rocky roads so I think they will hold up for her long enough to warrant the price - but not the shetland. I drive him at all gaits, about 5 days a week, over pretty rough terrain and I' looking at doing some CDE's this fall with him. So, to sum up, I have a pair of Chimacum tack boots ordered for my mare but they haven't come in yet and if they aren't in by next Friday I'll cx that order, If they come in I'll try them (they have a rubber bottom and I was told they would hold up to heavy driving conditions) and get back to the forum on how they do for me. I am also looking at buying the sneakers from ozark for my mare.

PS Ozark did tell me that the sneakers could be re-soled if they wore out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info and link! I can't wait to hear how the barrier boots work out. Those I can get right from the local tack store. They will order them in for me.

, If they come in I'll try them (they have a rubber bottom and I was told they would hold up to heavy driving conditions) and get back to the forum on how they do for me.
I will be stalking this thread then. It would be all a little to wonderful (and affordable!) if the Chimacum Comfyfit boots do the job.

In case anyone is interested, there are companies making large mini/small pony boots. Here is a chart of companies and boot sizes:

Boa Boots

Size 00 3-1/2" - 3-7/8"W x 4 - 4-3/8"L

Size 0 3-7/8" - 4-1/4"W x 4-3/8" - 4-5/8"L

Cavallo Simple Boots

Size 0 4" - 4-1/4" L (no width given)

Davis Barrier Boots

Size 0000 3-1/4"W x 3-1/2"L

Size 000 3-3/4"W x 4"L

Easyboots (Not all sizes available in all styles)

Pony 3-3/16" - 3-3/8"W x 3-3/8" - 3-5/8"L

000 3-3/8" - 3-13/16"W x 3-5/8" - 4-3/16"L

00 3-13/16" - 4-3/8" W x 4-3/16" - 4 -5/8"L

Hoof Wings

3"W x 3-1/2"L

on up by 1/2" sizes

(They are supposed to have sizes down to 2 inches available soon.)

Horse-Mocs

custom made from hoof tracings

Marquis boots

Size 0 3-3/4"- 4-5/16"W (no lengths given)

Old Macs G2

Size 0 3-15/16" - 4-1/8"W x 4-1/8" - 4-5/16"

Swiss boots

Size 00 3-3/8" - 4"W x 4"L

I have no further information on these companies -- you'll have to check their sites to see if you like the style and/or the company.

Well I was doing some online looking and to buy 4 easyboot epics size pony and 2 sized 000, it will run me $488 before tax and shipping from. Can any one buy them cheaper? I have one set of 000 now so will only need the other 2 fronts and 4 backs. I'm hoping my local tack store can get them cheaper. I know when I was down in Colorado last year there were feed stores with loads of them on the shelves for way less money.

I tried the Davis Barrier boots, and though they fit my large gelding nicely...as soon as he started trotting they flew half off...didn't try them again after that...would use them as a protective boot in the pasture or stall, or perhaps as a soaking boot...but have to say they didn't impress me much.

thanks for the list susanne, very extensive.

I am going to buy a set of the Chimacum Comfyfit leather road boots with rubber lining within the next few weeks, will post when I have given them a good try. They are the only ones I am willing to give a try to at this point as the other brands are just too $ (especially with post) to randomly try.

Aren't barrier boots primarily intended for temporary use when a shoe is lost? The wording on some sites is confusing regarding this.

happy appy, you might look at the Hoof Boot Swap page. You never know what you will find, but it's worth looking. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.naturalhorsetrim.com/boot_swap.htm

You could also post a wanted ad on L'il Beginnings sales board.

Oftentimes with hoof boots, people get the wrong size or just don't like them and decide to resell nearly new boots at a good price. Just be certain to have your horse's exact hoof measurements and know the correct size for the particular brand.

Happy Appy - are the easy boot epics hard to get on and off?

Sue C - thanks for the info on the davis barrier boots.

After talking with a friend over the weekend I've decided to try one of the easy boot styles- but I've still ordered the chimacum tack boots - just don't have them yet, and I've also ordered the davis barrier boots but may return them.

Happy Appy - are the easy boot epics hard to get on and off?

Sue C - thanks for the info on the davis barrier boots.

After talking with a friend over the weekend I've decided to try one of the easy boot styles- but I've still ordered the chimacum tack boots - just don't have them yet, and I've also ordered the davis barrier boots but may return them.

I have no trouble getting them on or off. I just the little piece of ribbon through the ban on the inside of the boot to pull them on. They stay great. I also put on the covers for the metal sides so that they don't cut into the hoof wall. I like them because we have a lot of gravel in my area and I need something that has a hard sole to protect their feet.

Aren't barrier boots primarily intended for temporary use when a shoe is lost? The wording on some sites is confusing regarding this.

happy appy, you might look at the Hoof Boot Swap page. You never know what you will find, but it's worth looking. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.naturalho...m/boot_swap.htm

You could also post a wanted ad on L'il Beginnings sales board.

Oftentimes with hoof boots, people get the wrong size or just don't like them and decide to resell nearly new boots at a good price. Just be certain to have your horse's exact hoof measurements and know the correct size for the particular brand.

Thanks for the idea about the swap page! Never thought of that.

Do your epic easy boots have the gaiters on the back and do they rub? I just followed the link to the boot swap page and they don't have any in the real small sizes.

I only wear them during driving or riding and they don't rub. I use a feminine pad to fill up and space that might be extra in the boot and they never move.

Forgot to add Yes they have the gaiters.

Something I've read...(collecting info for when I finally get a pair...)

Duct tape is supposed to help fit a hoof boot that technically fits but still isn't tight enough. There are a number of YouTube videos from the various manufacturers demonstrating hoof boot usage.

Happy Appy - do you put the pad in the toe or around the heel, the sides?

UPDATE: The davis barrier boot will stay on at a walk but not at a trot. So, the next boot I'll be trying is the Sneakers. I'll update as soon as I've tried them.

UPDATE: The davis barrier boot will stay on at a walk but not at a trot. So, the next boot I'll be trying is the Sneakers. I'll update as soon as I've tried them.
look forward to hearing about them.

I have now ordered the Chimacum comfyfit boots and will give a solid roadtest and review when they arrive too.

Back