Driving Sneakers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggiemae

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Leather Sneakers from Ozark Mini tack for driving? If so how did they do - did they stay on, did they rub, and did the bottoms last? I can't tell if they are for driving or just the occassional nursing home visit.

I've started using Build-A-Bear sneakers. They aren't perfect, but at $8 a pop they beat anything else all to heck!

Leia

I use the Build a Bear sneakers a lot on our gravel road, and just took an old pair, and made them better. I cut the eyelets off, added velcro and elastic, and they worked a treat!!! When I get a new pair, i will modify them and post a picture. so much easier than the laces, and less constricting because of the elastic.

The build a bear sneakers are too small - I've tried them. She has a three inch wide hoof. Has anyone heard wether or not the renegades ever came thru with a smaller boot? Has anyone ever tried the sabre sneakers from mini tack? They have a size in three inch.

maggiemae said:
The build a bear sneakers are too small - I've tried them. She has a three inch wide hoof. Has anyone heard wether or not the renegades ever came thru with a smaller boot?
I doubt they have as I haven't been able to get a mold of my horses' hooves yet for him! I had to wait until it was warm enough to clip off their massive feathers and I just did that last week. There will be a long production process after that unfortunately so it'll probably be awhile.

My boys both fit the Build-A-Bear sneakers although just barely, so they probably won't be a whole lot bigger than that although I'll ask him to either make two sizes or err on the side of larger as you can create shims to make them fit smaller hooves but are out of luck the other way around.

Leia

Get to it Leia...LOL! I am just too-too anxious to order my sets of Renegades, one in black for "regular" stuff, and my bright orange ones for trail and marathon.

Has anyone tried the Chimacum tack hoof boots? I'm thinking of buying either the sneakers from Oazrk mini tack or the boots from chimacum.

Sue_C. said:
Get to it Leia...LOL! I am just too-too anxious to order my sets of Renegades, one in black for "regular" stuff, and my bright orange ones for trail and marathon.
Ha! See I'm the opposite- I'm tempted to buy fun colored boots for the everyday but I want basic black studded ones for the marathons at least for Kody. I'm tempted to add black-and-flames duct tape for decoration though! LOL

maggiemae said:
Has anyone tried the Chimacum tack hoof boots? I'm thinking of buying either the sneakers from Oazrk mini tack or the boots from chimacum.
Sorry hon, I haven't tried the Ozark ones. Janie sent me a trial pair of her boots a couple years ago but they were too small for Kody (I didn't have Turbo at the time) and last I'd heard the guy who was making the molded rubber bottoms had skipped out on her and she couldn't get them anymore. They were a nice design though so if she's selling them, they might be worth trying.

Leia

I have a pair of the Chimacum boots, but they have that big metal "buckle" right at the heel, so I never really got into using them for fear of bruising the heel. I did ne-mail my concerns to Janie, (sp?) and she said they would consider changing the design so as to put that buckle on the front...but I too, had been told they weren't making them any longer. If they are, and the design HAS changed...I am interested...though this mare's feet are too small for the ones I have, perhaps they can make a smaller size as well.

I have a set of Hoofwings as well, but am finding them difficult to put on, as I have trouble with my right hand not working properly due to a neck injury...so I am going to try finding an old "boot-hook", and see if that helps at all. Hmmm, a lightbulb just lit...I think a crochet hook would work...LOL!

Yes, she is still making them. She said sells them in three different sizes. I asked her if she would move the buckle to the front and she said that they had tested and retested the design the way that it is and haven't had anyone tell them that the metal thing on the back causes bruising. She insists that there are no buckles on the back. I think she called it a metal ring for the velco closure. Have you actually used them at all to see if they bruise? Is there anyway to pad the back of the heel under the ring? I was more concerned with the front toe breakover due to the fact that it looks like they are so flat with a ridge at the seam line on the front that it might hinder the breakover - what do you think?

Have you looked at the sneakers? They are a little expensive but they look like they would be comfortable.

I have a pair of the leather sneakers from Ozark Mountain. They are well-made and fairly easy to put on, and seem to be comfortable, although my gelding does give me the hairy eyeball when I put them on because he "doesn't want to look like a dork" (where do they get these ideas??)... I bought them for some very gravelly back roads we occasionally drive on.

We haven't used them a lot because the size I bought (medium, I think) is a bit big for my 36" beast, and when he trots he sometimes steps on the back of the sneakers with his back feet. (He doesn't interfere normally.) I'm planning to buy the next smaller size; you want them pretty snug. His feet are 2 1/2 inches wide, I think. I had tried the Build-a-Bear sneakers but they were too small for him.

He did break the rawhide lace on one boot when he stepped on it - the boot came off but he was fine, and so was the boot. I replaced the rawhide with regular sneaker laces, and they work fine and hold up better. I was a bit worried that the leather bottom would wear out, but they've held up well and seem to provide decent traction on pavement.

Good feedback, guys! Keep it coming. I hadn't even thought about the breakover issue but I suppose that's quite a valid concern.

His feet are 2 1/2 inches wide, I think. I had tried the Build-a-Bear sneakers but they were too small for him.
My 33.5" geldings both have 2.75"x2.75" wide feet, and they fit the Build-A-Bear sneakers although just barely. Are you sure of those measurements?
default_unsure.png

Leia

Reading with interest. My pony has pretty tough feet (regular road-user) but there really is a limit to that, so boots would be great for really rocky roads or long road-work.

Build-a-bear won't work, too small.

He would nearly fit the easyboot epics smallest size, but I used EB's on a big horse years ago and hated them, they were hard to get on and came off easily- although the addition of gaiters may have improved that.
default_unsure.png

Hoof-wings were looking like the 'ultimate' for me, but it sounds like they may not be the solve-all solution I imagined them to be, plus, $300 ish dollars after shipping for just two boots is a little scary.
default_new_shocked.gif

I have been looking at the boots on Janie's site and the price just can't be beaten. I would love to hear someones feedback on using them though as the 'heel bruising' concern has been voiced here, so would be great if someone wanted to dispel that for me as $112 for a full set of four is pretty darn attractive
default_pray.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As already mentioned my concerns with Janie's is the breakover on the toe and someone else mentioned possible heel bruising. I also would like to hear more from someone who has used them more to find out if that buckle would cause any problems.

DrivinTim - My mare is 35" and her hooves are 3" wide and the build a bear boots don't fit. I think the build a bear boots fit up to a 2.75" inch hoof are you sure your meas are accurate? The reason I ask is because I was thinking of ordering a pair of the sneakers and needed to know what size to order.

Hi again - Leia, you're right, I was wrong on the hoof measurements. Risha's feet are 2 3/4 inches wide by about 3 1/2 inches long. Which makes sense, as I recall the Build-a-Bear shoes could aaaalmost squeak onto his feet, but it was really a struggle.

The driving sneakers I have are 4 1/2 inches wide by 5 1/4 inches long, outside measurement. Looks like they're a little over 3 inches wide by 4 inches long, inside measurement. Of course I can't find my receipt to verify what size I bought, but looking at the sizing on the Ozark Mtn. website I'm pretty sure I ordered mediums.

Hope this helps!

That does help a lot - looks like I need to buy a pair of mediums. My girls hooves are 3 in wide.

BTW - I called to order a pair of the mediums from Chimacum tack last Friday and they didn't ship so I called and asked her about them (she is great to work with) but she said she was out of the medium size and that she had placed an order but hadn't gotten them yet This is Friday and they still aren't in. When I get them I'll post on here and let the forum know how they work out. She said she is also having a "shetland size" made. i have a 43" shetland driving gelding also. So, if they work for my mare I'll order the larger size as well. I think I may go ahead and buy the Ozark Mtn ones for my mare to see which ones work best.

Latest posts

Back