Driving show clothes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stripe13

Reaction score
So I’m planning on going to a schooling show this upcoming January with my mini, Jessica. I’m going to be showing in open pleasure harness and open judges command harness. The thing is, it’s going to be very cold. I know typically women who show in harness where dresses, however I definitely won’t be wearing a dress if it’s only going to be 35 degrees Fahrenheit outside. The show lists attire as “Boots required, show clothes are optional, protective headgear is encouraged passing current applicable ASTM standards”. I have some nice western show shirts, as well as black pants and boots. Should I just wear that? I will of course be wearing a helmet as well.

what do you guys use for show harness attire?

I would still wear a skirt. Use some leggings under the skirt and you will be toasty warm, actually warmer than just wearing pants. You can layer under the show shirt, too. Sounds like fun! Will the horses be clipped, or in their winter coats?

I would still wear a skirt. Use some leggings under the skirt and you will be toasty warm, actually warmer than just wearing pants. You can layer under the show shirt, too. Sounds like fun! Will the horses be clipped, or in their winter coats?
Thanks for the advice! Jessica will be clipped. Currently I only have her face clipped so that her bridle and halters fit, and I don't want to show her like that XD. I'll also be showing her in some halter classes as well.

I showed in open pleasure driving and obstacle driving this year and wore light tan pants, a navy blazer blazer with a red shirt, gloves and a helmet and did pretty good. When my instructor showed him last year it was bitter cold and she wore black jeans, a grey Tweed jacket with a red scarf and her driving apron, gloves and a helmet.
Is it a regional thing, wearing skirts? I don't think I have seen anyone around here in New England wear them unless it is a fine harness class.
Good luck at the show! I hope you post some pictures for us to see.

I showed in open pleasure driving and obstacle driving this year and wore light tan pants, a navy blazer blazer with a red shirt, gloves and a helmet and did pretty good. When my instructor showed him last year it was bitter cold and she wore black jeans, a grey Tweed jacket with a red scarf and her driving apron, gloves and a helmet.
Is it a regional thing, wearing skirts? I don't think I have seen anyone around here in New England wear them unless it is a fine harness class.
Good luck at the show! I hope you post some pictures for us to see.

Thanks for the tips! I have a black and white show shirt I will probably use as well as my black show jeans. Or I may get/make a driving apron for myself. I haven't shown in driving yet so I don't know if anyone wears skirts while driving in harness in my area, but I guess i'll see XD. I will defiantly try to get some pictures!

Latest posts

Back