Driving safety and etiquette question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disneyhorse

Reaction score
I was trained to never hitch a tied horse... the horse was expected to learn to stand and not move while hitched and the driving lines were to be in my hand or within hand's grasp at all times while hooking.

That said, I know some people tie their horses and hook them.

My question is:

Is it safe to leave a horse tied while hooked to a vehicle? I do not drive ADS style, what is the etiquette and safety rules regarding this? Halter? Bridle? Attended? Unattended?

Thank you,

Andrea

I'm fairly new around here, and I too thought you were never supposed to tie them when hitched. I do know with full size horses that you never put them in cross ties with the bit as that can tear their mouths if they spook. Assuming same reason with the minis and the carts. But if they have a halter over top of the bridle(which I've heard them doing) and attched to the halter or not attached at the bit maybe it isn't as unsafe.

I'm sure one of the driving experts will speak up.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER
default_no.gif

Yes people do it.

I had a major mini trainer admit to me that they used to do it until they had a serious accident.

It will get you sent home at a CDE/ADT event.

and

It should be against the rules at the shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
disneyhorse said:
I was trained to never hitch a tied horse... the horse was expected to learn to stand and not move while hitched and the driving lines were to be in my hand or within hand's grasp at all times while hooking.That said, I know some people tie their horses and hook them.

My question is:

Is it safe to leave a horse tied while hooked to a vehicle? I do not drive ADS style, what is the etiquette and safety rules regarding this? Halter? Bridle? Attended? Unattended?

Thank you,

Andrea
Tying to hitch or doing it in the open are subjects open to much debate. I personally feel every horse should learn enough self-control to do it without being tied and then if you need to tie them so you have a hand free you can without shame. It depends on the horse, too. If I've got one that flips out when he hits the end of a lead you better believe I'm not hitching him when he's tied up!
default_new_shocked.gif
All of mine are the opposite though and when spooking or fidgeting will come to a halt if they feel resistance so I have no qualms about tying them for hitching or unhitching as long as I'm right there.

I would NEVER, under any circumstances, leave a hitched horse tied up and unattended however. That lead is on there long enough to steady them or keep them from grazing as I hitch and then we're off and driving or the cart comes off. All it takes is for the horse to try and sidestep or pivot as they naturally do when their heads are tied and they feel that unusual restriction and panic. They could get really hurt in a heartbeat.

JourneysEnd said:
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER
default_no.gif
It will get you sent home at a CDE/ADT event.
Well, not quite. Tying and leaving a hitched horse will get you severely reprimanded and possibly dismissed but they have no problem with the horse being tied while they are put-to. It's not the preferred or safest method but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. *shrug* It's having the bridle off at any time while the cart is attached that's the flaming no-no and gets you immediately eliminated from competition and sent home. If you feel the need to put a halter on OVER their bridle and tie them up to hitch or unhitch that's okay but for God's sake don't hitch them in their halters then try to put the bridle on!
default_new_shocked.gif
:DOH! If that horse gets away she is now running scared with a large and heavy weapon attached to her and no headgear to grab her by. Baaaaaaddd....

Leia

Oh well, I knew it was something like that. :DOH!

I didn't mean trying while putting to harness.

It's the people that put to cart and tie the horse to the rail and walk off and do other things at the show that I was talking about.

Both of my boys are so mellow that I usually do tie them to hitch them up. Mainly because I don't usually have anyone around to head them while I'm hooking up the cart. Now when it comes time to unhitch I never need to tie them. They always stand quietly then. I guess they figure, if I want to get this stuff off, I better stand still.
default_yes.gif

I guess it really depends on the horse, and the situation, but of course you must follow the rules of the show.

Laura

I do not do ADS, but I would NEVER tie a hitched horse!!! I also cannot stand to see someone harnessing and hitching a tied horse and then see them save the bridle for last. In my opinion, that is just such poor horsemanship and asking for a horrible "accident".

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back