Driving Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indian*R*A*I*N*Dance

Reaction score
I've never driven before but the horse I just purchased drives in Country Pleasure. The person I am purchasing my gelding from hopefully will introduce me into driving on sunday but we'll see. I might try driving next year but i have a few questions that are totally random.

- What is breeching?

- High action I know is penalized but how high is too high?

- How do you know if a horse is good for or drives country pleasure or single pleasure?

- What cart/harness would you recommend for a beginner driver who might use it to show?

- What do you wear in a driving class? (youth and amature- maybe my mom will drive
default_biggrin.png
)

Edit: Do your knees and shoulders have to be covered? I have a nice straples dress that I wore for a Bat-Mitzvah that needs to be put to use. : P

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
- What is breeching? It's a strap that goes behind the hind legs, used to help stop the cart and help in backing up. Most people do not use it when showing

- High action I know is penalized but how high is too high? It's a tough call. It's getting more and more that open horses need to have very extreme action to place in open. If your horse has lots of knee action, I'd try open, but you can always change back and forth

- How do you know if a horse is good for or drives country pleasure or single pleasure? Usually the "hotter" horses are in pleasure, or at least hotter looking/action.

- What cart/harness would you recommend for a beginner driver who might use it to show? An easy entry is a good starting point. Fairly inexpensive, and easy to get in and out off. A nice EE can be used to show at the local levels, but usually not used in regionals/nationals.

- What do you wear in a driving class? (youth and amature- maybe my mom will drive biggrin.gif

Afternoon classes I wear a summer dress or skirt and blouse, also seen black dress slacks. you MUST wear closed toe shoes, leather preferred. Some judges will check !! so tennies aren't a good choice. Evening classes brings out the evening wear - sequened jackets, rhinestone and sparkly dresses. Great to pickup from Salvation army or after the holiday sales. Hats are optional, but if you look good in them - I DON'T- they add a nice touch.

Mostly - wear a smile and have fun!!

you MUST have straps on your gown/dresses.. strapless are not allowed (heard it was because some women have had some "accidents" where "parts" fell out!
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

I'm not sure if straps are a MUST, probably just something you would want to have. I know at the AMHA Eastern Regionals last year there were many girls with strapless gowns on. No if it were me, you woudnt catch me around horses with a strapless gown on, JMO.

it may only be an AMHR rule then.. you CAN wear spaghetti straps though. I would truly think strapless would not be a great idea around horses too! lol

Latest posts

Back