Driving questions!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily's mom

Reaction score
I know I read sometime back that one of us (not me) has her donkeys trained to drive.

Two weeks ago I took a driving clinic, I borrowed a friends mini horse who is already trained.

What fun
default_aktion033.gif

Now that Max will be 3 years old tomorrow
default_birthday.gif
I can start to get underway with his training.

I have access to books and dvds, so my question is do you have a special made harness for a donkey? Or a large mini horse harness.

And are the shafts on a mini horse cart the proper size for a donkey?

Any advice would be great!!!

Thanks
default_yes.gif

I'm not an expert with donkey driving. I'm sure one of the donkey people will answer you.

I know with the donkey I did train to drive, the mini easy entry cart worked fine but the harness was another question.

Now my donkey didn't have the best of conformation, but I think there may be harness made just for a donkey.

So I'm bumping you up in the hopes somebody who knows what they're talking about will answer.
default_biggrin.png

Driving is SO MUCH FUN!!!
default_smile.png

I don't THINK there are special harnesses for donkeys? But I don't know... my donkey boy is currently at the trainer's learning to drive though, can't wait to try him out!
default_smile.png

Jessi

Welcome to the world of driving Emily's Mom....and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to MAX
default_wub.png

My pony and I just got back from a fantastic driving clinic this weekend. There will always be modification and tweaking involved with carts and harnesses. The few tidbits we just learned have made a HUGE difference in our communication and the way our cart travels.

Get ready to have a ton of fun driving your mini-donk
default_aktion033.gif

Oh, and when you find a mini-donk harness, please let me know so I can get one too
default_biggrin.png
!

Lori

I was just looking for a new breeching and saw MiniExpress.com has a donkey harness.
Interesting!!! What's different about a donk harness vs horse? I'll try to check out the site tomarrow to see if I can figure it out (too tired right now, need to go to bed!)

Jessi

I was just looking for a new breeching and saw MiniExpress.com has a donkey harness.
Interesting!!! What's different about a donk harness vs horse? I'll try to check out the site tomarrow to see if I can figure it out (too tired right now, need to go to bed!)

Jessi
There's probably not much difference in a donkey with good conformation. Mine, however, had a very narrow back and I had trouble fitting the back saddle.

Hello, I am new to the whole Mini world, but want to drive my Mini and that was my intentions when getting BOB.

Last weekend I was at the ADMS Donkey & Mule sho wnad tryed to get lots of info for my mini driving future plans. I was introduced to the lady from Central Harnees shop near Austin, Texas.

She custom makes harness to fit animals. I printed out the the measurement diagram off her website and will soon order my Beta Harness, that I can also show in. I can do all by mail.

Here is a link to the website http://www.centralharness.com/beta.html

YAY!!! I'm training my small standards to drive!!! ok, well basically you can get a regular harness and alter it to so what you want. I called Orzark mini tack and they said my donks would fit into a pony size harness... So... i'm ordering one off of ebay for cheep so i can costomize it!

Pretty much you have to fittle around with a reuglar to fit the donkeys! but it's not that big of a deal! if you want any help with training i'm here to help!

We ended up getting a cart and harness package from Greenhawk, the harness was nylon, and it did not fit.....so we plan to just fit it together with odds and ends till we can get a better one, I'm sure it'll do for play.

I'm also pretty new to this world of training my donks to drive, but I ordered my harness from chimacumtack and they send it so you have 3 different sizes around the middle so it can fit any size donkey. I can't remember the website exactly but it must have been something like chimacumtack.com . Good luck!

I'm also pretty new to this world of training my donks to drive, but I ordered my harness from chimacumtack and they send it so you have 3 different sizes around the middle so it can fit any size donkey. I can't remember the website exactly but it must have been something like chimacumtack.com . Good luck!
Chimacum is http://www.horsedriver.com/ and they are fantastic people to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back