Driving question......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_biggrin.png
I drive my guy Western so the check is supposed to be loose. Plus, I do use a martingale, for looks, as it is so loose unless he flings his head super high it won't come into play, either....

But only in the ring. Trail driving, parades, tootling around the farm- no checks, no martingales.
default_wink.png
He doesn't need'em.

Lucy

But should't you see why the horse pulls his head up and train him not to do that? My horse pulls her head up if I'm to hard in my hand, and I can't blame her than...

If a check is hanging loose, why put it on than? (because you must for the rules, I understand, but I think it stays weird)

Muffy had some bitting suggestions too to help solve problems with head carriage. I believe for a horse that put its head up she recommended a more giving bit such as a French link so they don't have that solid mouth piece to push against. There was another bit she had too where the mouth piece was like a bunch of little balls but I don't remember the name. I should have taken notes. :DOH! I do remember her favorite too are the French link and the glory mouth pieces with liverpool cheeks.

But should't you see why the horse pulls his head up and train him not to do that? My horse pulls her head up if I'm to hard in my hand, and I can't blame her than...

If a check is hanging loose, why put it on than? (because you must for the rules, I understand, but I think it stays weird)
Cause he naturally keeps his head high in the air when he runs, not just in the cart, he isn't like running away from anything.

Like I said the only time he even has a check on is for shows that is it, otherwise he doesn't have one on, and he is much better. Don't blame me for the rules, I didn't make them, and I don't know who to go to to change it.

I'm not blaming you
default_wink.png
, I'm just trying to understand.

CRponies, should you change the bit or the hand that handle the bit?

Ouburgia said:
CRponies, should you change the bit or the hand that handle the bit?
Both! I refused to put a flash noseband on my very fussy horse until I had resolved both bitting and hand issues as I was sure he was trying to tell me something. He was- he hated the snaffle mouthpiece he was in because it was uncomfortable for him and after that was resolved he still objected to what turned out to be my taking an overly strong hold of his mouth and being unintentionally rough with my half-halts. Can't blame him! I learned from his reaction what I was doing wrong. But horses DO have bitting preferences and if they hate a particular mouthpiece you need to change it to one they are comfortable in. After that however, yes, look to the hands for a solution and not some gimmick bit!

Leia

The hands make the bit, quite easy in fact...

if you cán ride, you can ride (for example of course) with barbwire in the mouth, if you cán't ride, you can do wrong with the most simple snaffle bit.

Personaly I don't like single broken mouth pieces, not in driving, not in riding, never. Always unbroken or double broken.

I would agree on the whole, I always use a French Link, full cheek, to drive and a pelham was my bit of choice to ride, with double reins, never with a rounding.

BUT I have known horses that preferred a single link snaffle, and went well in it.

What Leia is saying is that the bit is really up to the horse- it is in the horses mouth, after all, and it is up to the driver/rider to find out which bit is right for the horse, not put any bit in and then add all sorts of junk to make the horse comply.

To me "my horse opens his mouth on the bit" means you have a problem you should work to resolve, it is often a simple collection thing, the horse is not correctly engaged either in the rear end or the fore (a very common problem in driving Minis) and so opens it's mouth to evade incorrect contact with the bit.

Collect the horse, engage rear and fore and then see if there is still a problem.

If there is, then a change of bit is in order, not a flash noseband and a martingale!!

Clamping a horses mouth shut on a bit he hates and then forcing him to balance between a checkrein holding his head up and a martingale forcing his head down is nothing short of torture!!

We are supposed to be training these animals, not seeing how quickly we can get them running ahead of the cart in the ring, as I have seen time and time again.

OK, sorry about that, rant over.
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back