Driving ponies...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
Well I may be getting a pony (he's 14hh or 14.1hh...so a large pony) Anyway I have no problem driving minis and once he's totally solid in his riding I want to train have him trained for driving.

Anyway my question is...how much harder/different is driving a pony than a mini?

Also, for pleasure driving and possibly some low level showing(not sure what type of classes) do you prefer two or four wheeled "vehicles"?

Good Morning,

Well in answer to your question....there is no difference in driving a Mini vs a Pony. Still do the same gaits. For any Pleasure or Country Pleasure driving class you will drive in a two wheel cart. The four-wheel (Vicroy) is reserved for the Modern/Modern Pleasure type ponies not a Classic Pony. Also, once a pony has been broken to ride the transition is a lot easier for them to drive since they will already know how to rein and take cues.

Now your pony can pull a four wheel vehicle like a wagon, but you will need to use the heavy harness with collars for that type of vehicle and their gaits are different for the heavy working pony.

Enjoy and let us know how you do.

Karen

There are a few differences!! Size for one. Luckily I drove big horses before ever I had Minis. When a 14 hander goes into a trot, you really know it!! Karen is absolutely right though- a horse already trained for riding is much easier to harness train. All the bitting and reining is done for you, you just have to be very sensible about hitching up for the first time- I've done Minis on my own but you must have at least two helpers with a big horse, merely because of the size difference involved. Of course the carts are more expensive too, but you should still be able to get an affordable easy entry cart.

Great thanks for the replies!

He's only 5 right now and very green. So I want to get him VERY solid in his riding (for the reasons that were mentioned) before I even start considering his training. Probably about a year or two. I won't be doing his training I think I will send him off to a trainer. As easy and much fun it is to train minis to drive I doubt I'd be able to train a pony to drive by myself.

I think I would end up getting a two wheeled cart...easy entry would be nice. Oh I don't know I'll think about that later! haha.

You should see the trot on this little guy...he's going to look so beautiful driving.
wub.gif

Back