Driving pictures of Erica's Gimmie Another Glance

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Pam

Reaction score
I've been working with Lisa at Ozark to develop a top of the line Carriage Driving harness with all the bells and whistles--V neck, buckle in traces, rein loops on the neck strap, superior craftsmanship with double and triple stitching--the whole nine yards. Something to compare with--or surpass--Smucker's.

This is the second version we're trying out here--the only problem I had with it is the traces were a little short on the 49" shaft Jerald--I would like the shafts a little farther back. What a good boy Lance was!! He hasn't had britching on before, nor had to pull the heavier cart with wood wheels. I just love this boy--and he's just turned 3
biggrin.gif

Lance1.jpg

Lance7.jpg

Patty--of course--is at the whip
aktion033.gif

Oh look at him go........I am so happy for Lance, he has got a great home with you guys and you have him busy and looking so great.

Now I just want to see a picture of that "suprise" foal he presented you with
biggrin.gif

Ta Daa!

Here you go--she is our "busy bunny"--if there is something to get into--or out of--she's the leader of the pack. SR Limited Edition:

babypics014.jpg

babies037.jpg

babypics011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice leg extension! I love when they lengthen their strides in a turn!

Anyways, that baby is CUTE, feel free to send her my way. I would take her anyday!

Ooohh that little filly is GOLD!!

I guess Lances mom being a cremello passed all that dilute/gold down the lines.....as she just had a perlino this year out of Dippers Duffy for Millenium Farm.

Erica, I've had several people ask me if Lance is Champagne--he is not a typical palomino. He has amber eyes, and mottling around his face and sheath, plus striped hooves. He is very "pink"
biggrin.gif
with a golden glow.

hehe,

as a baby I registered him as a cremello actually...........as his skin was PINK and eyes weird color....

Well when I put him up to show as a yearling and put him on Nu-Image he got quite palomino (light but bright tint - not gold) and skin looked darker, so I opted to change to palomino on his papers..........then when I razored his eyes/nose for showing all that year the skin was sure enough pink.

I don't know even the slightest about colors at all..........All I know is his mom was a cremello and his sire I bred so know a little more as he (Erica's Prince Charming) was a sorrel w/star/snip blue eyes and then his mom was a bay and sire a liver chesnut......

Okay, I want closeups of the HARNESS!! LOL. I have the old version from Ozark. It looks like right now the neckstraps will need to be made shorter so they don't stick out at the bottom like that, the breeching needs to be adjusted higher, and the browband might need to be a little wider. Did you add more padding to the saddle, and preferably a padded breastcollar, neckstrap, cinch, and breeching? And some kind of keeper for that dang cavesson? LOL I can't afford a new harness right now (especially having just spent $200 on an upgrade to a Carriage House deep V breastcollar for my old Ozark harness) but I'm sure keeping an eye on this one!

Lance is a gorgeous guy (and no wonder, given that his sire is one of my favorites of Erica's breeding) and he's got some great reach in that forearm. Get him to relax his neck, jaw and withers area and quit looking so resentful and he's going to be an easy place to rest the eyes!
wub.gif
yes.gif
wub.gif
Was Pattie driving at speed (like demoing cones)? She looks from the way she's leaning forward like she might have been holding some tension in her arms and shoulders and transferring it to him. Tom Shives was nailing a lot of people for that at my last clinic.
laugh.gif
Sorry, you didn't ask for a critique.
blush.gif
I love him, I really do! That's a fantastic turnout and I would be proud to own anything near as nice from horse to cart to harness to driver.
yes.gif
Please share more pictures as you get the opportunity!

Leia

Great pictures of beautiful horses. The last pic looks like it needs a caption. Appears to be wispering something in "busy Bunny's" ear.
smile.gif

He looks great and your little girl is just gorgeous! Did you get my update on Rose?

hobbyhorse23 said:
Okay, I want closeups of the HARNESS!! LOL. I have the old version from Ozark. It looks like right now the neckstraps will need to be made shorter so they don't stick out at the bottom like that, the breeching needs to be adjusted higher, and the browband might need to be a little wider. Did you add more padding to the saddle, and preferably a padded breastcollar, neckstrap, cinch, and breeching? And some kind of keeper for that dang cavesson?
Get him to relax his neck, jaw and withers area and quit looking so resentful and he's going to be an easy place to rest the eyes!
wub.gif

yes.gif

wub.gif
Was Pattie driving at speed (like demoing cones)? She looks from the way she's leaning forward like she might have been holding some tension in her arms and shoulders and transferring it to him. Tom Shives was nailing a lot of people for that at my last clinic.
laugh.gif
Sorry, you didn't ask for a critique.
blush.gif
I love him, I really do! That's a fantastic turnout and I would be proud to own anything near as nice from horse to cart to harness to driver. 
yes.gif
Please share more pictures as you get the opportunity!

Leia

432695[/snapback]

wub.gif
Thanks Leia! You were one of the folks I really wanted to see this post! Yes, he's a little resentful--between having to leave his dinner, wearing britching and pulling this much heavier cart, he was not thrilled. She IS driving cones--you can't see them--and she was nervous because she could feel Lance was nervous--a viscious circle. They both loosened up as they went because she KNEW that was wht she was doing, but we lost the light for pictures.

This harness has more padding, the saddle has an actual tree and is wider, there are keepers--double and triple--all over, and the cavesons nose band has a padded chin strap with 2 buckles, one on each side. Yes, the britching is still too low--except for the traces, this harness was a little large on him. He is rather slender in build. I had to punch holes just about everywhere, but there was plenty of room to take things up. It sure wouldn't work on my 29" mare, but would lok perfect on the Over horses--and Lance, if I trimmed the ends. Mose will make it to measurements, and the price will include as much patent as you want. He says the cost on this harness is labor, not the patent. I'll get you some closeups. It's wonderful!!

This harness will be $$$, but you can now upgrade the Ozark harness with the V breastcollar/buckle in traces for a lot less money. And no, I am not a paid spokesperson
biggrin.gif

I have a synthetic harness from Carriage House and love it, but how do you punch new holes in it?? It is definately a large mini/small pony harness.

Love the pictures Dr Pam !!!

If the carriage house harness is made like the Zilco, then you can use a sharpe leather punch to make more holes.

What a WONDERFUL model! Beautiful MOVEMENT. I think I will wait until Ozark comes out with their finished harness to buy my show harness. Thanks for the GREAT pictures.

Dr. Pam, Lance is lovely, and his daughter is SOOO pretty! Love the big grin on your driver. I, too, am excited to see the new harness. I just bought a new one for Ally, it was a mid-range one from Mini Express, but I paid a little extra and got buckle-in traces and a patent teardrop.
biggrin.gif

Now I am SO EXCITED TO GET STARTED DRIVING!!! I have received my beautiful new cart from Silver Penney Farm (can't recommend them highly enough!), it is SOOO gorgeous. And my harness came on Saturday. I have been doing a little ground driving on Ally, now it is time to start adding in some poles and weight. She is doing great.

I am going to audit a Tom Shives intro to CDE clinic this coming weekend, so I'm sure that I'll get some great tips!
aktion033.gif

Have fun with the little guys on your new place!!!
biggrin.gif

Dr. Pam said:
wub.gif
  Thanks Leia!  You were one of the folks I really wanted to see this post!  Yes, he's a little resentful--between having to leave his dinner, wearing britching and pulling this much heavier cart, he was not thrilled.  She IS driving cones--you can't see them--and she was nervous because she could feel Lance was nervous--a viscious circle.  They both loosened up as they went because she KNEW that was wht she was doing, but we lost the light for pictures.
Aw.
smile.gif
Can't say I blame the little fellow in that case! I'm getting a bit carried away recently critiquing people's HORSES and not their harnesses, and I apologize for that. I got a couple books recently that I'm learning a tremendous amount about driven dressage from and it all comes spilling out here I'm afraid.
giveup.gif
You all know so much more than I do, I truly apologize if I'm coming across like a wannabe know-it-all. I welcome similar responses to my own posts! I learn so much from what you guys tell me.
yes.gif
I've only been driving for a year now (and not very frequently at that!) so I still feel like a complete newbie.

This harness has more padding, the saddle has an actual tree and is wider, there are keepers--double and triple--all over, and the cavesons nose band has a padded chin strap with 2 buckles, one on each side.
That's good that the saddle is wider and has a tree. I think my old one has a tree but I need to go double-check that. I know the double box keepers were standard, that's one of the things I liked so much about it. I had to special order my deep V breastcollar from Carriage House to have nicer buckles and box keepers to match my "bargain-harness" from Ozark! That says something, I think. I believe the whole Ozark harness was like $367 or so when I bought it, and the new breast collar by itself was $200 with the buckle-in traces and martingale and neckstrap and shipping. You can't beat Ozark for value! And lots of the big harness folk around here have looked at mine and been very impressed, saying for a leather mini carriage harness it's the best they've seen barring Smuckers. And that was for the OLD version.
laugh.gif
Can't wait to see the new one.

I have the same kind of noseband on mine as well and to be truthful am not that happy with it. All that leather under Kody's chin is very bulky, and too heavy for me to trim and redye at home so I had to have Ozark replace it instead. And because the noseband is contoured you can't adjust one side more than the other without throwing off the balance on it so it's sometimes a little difficult to fit. I'm sure on a larger horse it would look excellent, but it's a bit bulky on mine (who is built a lot like Lance, bulk-wise.)

This harness will be $$$, but you can now upgrade the Ozark harness with the V breastcollar/buckle in traces for a lot less money. And no, I am not a paid spokesperson
biggrin.gif
Sure, NOW you tell me! LOL.

I have a synthetic harness from Carriage House and love it, but how do you punch new holes in it??  It is definately a large mini/small pony harness.
According to the Carriage House, use a hot nail. I used a normal leather punch at the CDE I got it at because I didn't have anything else and it worked just fine, using heat simply seals the edges so they don't fray. You can also use scissors to cut off the ends of straps that are too long and then seal them with heat as well. I need to do that on my martingale.

I think my dream at this point is a synthetic beta harness from the Carriage House with the deep V for marathon and training, and the new Ozark Carriage Harness with the contoured (not deep V) breastcollar for dressage and cones. I want a gorgeous road cart from Silver Penny farms to go along with it, then a Jerald and my current harness for breed shows. Can't get much better than that!
thumbup.gif
Well, a Smucker's deluxe harness and Smucker's mini road cart would be nice but I could have a new HORSE or two for what that setup would cost!
new_shocked.gif
Hehehe.

Leia

Wow, he looks great! I defiantly gotta get me one of those Erica horses one day! lol

Oh my gosh! Pam & Patty, Lance looks SOOOO good! I love that first picture of him with all that extension!!! And that filly is one wonderful looking surprise!

Latest posts

Back