Driving Me Buggy 2019 Hours!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coady had 40 minutes of ground driving on Saturday. He was an over caffeinated coiled spring again. He was a spooky little guy, shying at things that he normally wouldn’t. I was going to try again Sunday but decided to just take him for a nice walk after some desensitizing work.

Coady had 40 minutes of ground driving on Saturday. He was an over caffeinated coiled spring again. He was a spooky little guy, shying at things that he normally wouldn’t. I was going to try again Sunday but decided to just take him for a nice walk after some desensitizing work.
Hoping you can both keep working forward. Remember to unclench your teeth and uncurl your toes. Sounds funny, I know, but that's what I found myself doing after a harrowing experience. My dentist commented that I had been clenching my teeth--I was not aware I was even doing it until he pointed it out. Now I go over my attitude and posture mentally when beginning to drive.

80 minutes driving Zorro yesterday. I ponied Sky and she did great. Sometimes when I tell Zorro to trot she will start trotting first. LOL!

It was a bright sunny day but it turned out to be COLD. I was FREEZING by the time I got home. AND Handsome Hubby decided to move the tractor and bobcat around as I was getting home. So he had to have both machines exactly where I hitch and unhitch. Made things more interesting! The ponies don't care at all but when I was taking Zorro's boots off I stood up to move to his back foot and there was the landscape rake just inches from Zorro's butt! He didn't bat an eye but it caught me by surprise. Hubby made an "Ooops!" face but I was not amused. I mean he had over an hour to do that! :D

Of course today is a gorgeous day but I have a migraine so no driving :(

Mindy, I hope you migraine is better. I have had them for years. No fun at all.

18 minutes ground driving Peanut. It was the first sunny day we have had in a week. But the ground was frosty enough!to be slick so we!just walked and practiced varying our speed within the walk.

Mindy, I hope you migraine is better. I have had them for years. No fun at all.

No they are not fun at all. I've also had them for years. It seems that I now have one at least once a week. Sigh.

Today we all walked and Zorro and Sky ground drove for 120 minutes. We went 4 miles but I'm so out of shape I slowed us down by needing to stop often when we were climbing the steep part of the trail. I'm sure my ponies wish I was the kind of person that could run a mile or two so they can trot. Sky would have liked to do that since she spent most of the first part of our drive jigging and dragging me all over the road o_O

She is such a pain in the butt. Sometimes I wonder why I keep trying with her. I have to work VERY HARD to not allow her behavior to ruin my time out with them. I have spent 100's of hours doing ground work of all kinds with her. She was a wonderful driving horse for 8 years. I drove her for two years once I brought her home but I always wondered if she was trying to save us or kill us both. Sigh. She is a complete basket case and over reacts to literally everything that is happening when we are out. Mostly Zorro ignores her but today he was feeding off her behavior a bit. So then I would have her walk behind me and allow him to regain his brain. There was a lot of wrestling that was going on which made me more tired. Sometimes my ponies are stinkers :rolleyes:

Edited to add photos! I forgot to put them on:
IMG_4224.jpg This was on our way home. Sky was finally calm and walking, but only because she was tired...

IMG_4218.jpg
These two crack me up. Zorro was rubbing his head on Samson and then would just stand with his head resting, forehead against Samson's side. Zorro really likes him. LOL!

IMG_4216.jpg
The wind was howling today. But it wasn't too cold. However I did choose to walk because I was afraid I would get cold if I was just sitting in a cart.

IMG_4220.jpg
It was beautiful up there and worth the climb. Even though I wondered if I would die! LOL!

Last edited:
We drove for 120 minutes today, driving Zorro and ponying Sky. We went 5 miles and gained 500 feet in elevation! I love seeing stuff like that :)

When we left our house it was windy but there wasn't a speck of snow on the ground. Everything had melted away yesterday during our beautiful sunshine.

Then half way up on our climb the snow started. I find that if I'm out in the storm I thoroughly enjoy it. I love the thick snow flakes and how quiet it is when the snow is falling as heavily as it was today. The sound of the ponies hooves (in their boots!) on the snow, the sound of my harness and cart. It's so beautiful.

The snow was falling so heavily I couldn't see where we were going. Thank goodness Zorro knows where to go! I was COATED in snow and ice, as were the ponies. And once again I was so grateful for my merino wool outer layers. I don't know how I made it through all the other winters before this! If I got cold, I got out and walked, climbed the steep hills and trotted myself down the road too. (GASP! I know. Sometimes I get out and walk along beside the bike. I have been doing this since Zorro started pulling a sled or the bike.) I have WoolX leggings and Duckworth Co. long sleeved t-shirt and heavy outer layer, the Powder with a high neck to tuck my cold nose into. If it gets cold where you drive I highly recommend merino wool :)

IMG_4244(1).jpg
IMG_4240(1).jpg
IMG_4246(1).jpg
IMG_4248(1).jpg

30 minutes of ground driving both Sky and Zorro today! I decided to put Sky's bridle on and she did much better than she has been doing with the halter. It's hard to say what will work with her, but I was happy she wasn't dragging me all over the hills.

Mindy I would have been frozen solid and Search and Rescue would have been sent out for me! You are tougher than I am. I'm a weather wimp which is why my horses go south for the winter.

Driving times are all caught up :)

90 minutes driving Candace today. We followed the new Fjord team around for a bit. They were kinda nervous about the new surroundings and got into a bit of a jam but luckily, we always drive a team with someone playing groom so my husband was able to jump down and straighten the horses out before they turned the wagon over. My dad was driving the team. Anyway... we did a lot of up and down the road. Then I gave rides to some kids from a large family that was out for a walk. Candace is such a good girl, even when the 7 year old took the lines (while I held the ends of course) and kept asking her to "Skip-up". Now if only I COULD teach her to skip.....
IMG_20191126_152508.jpg

Everybody is so fuzzy! Candace looks like a plush little toy! Glad you had a nice drive with her.
Mindy, the top picture in your last post is lovely.
Winter is here!

20 minute ground driving Peanut :)

Team driving day!!! We hitched Candace and Blue Jeans together today and they did amazing! They have both driven double but never together.... Until today. Ground drove for about 10 min then 45 min of out on the open road. After our drive they scratched each other's driving itchies.

IMG_20191127_152407.jpg IMG_20191127_155706.jpg IMG_20191127_152407.jpg IMG_20191127_160541.jpg

They look like they were made to work together :). I really like the top picture alot, for some reason I can "see" them communicating with each other in that picture. Looks like you have your dream team!

Dan and I had a great drive with Cappy today. He drove 15 minutes and then I drove him for 15 minutes. It was cold and very windy and I expected some sort of excitement as he hadn't been driven for about two weeks, but he was relaxed and happy to listen.

I love your team vehicle @MajorClementine !! I am dreaming of one of those for my "team" :) But we are no where as accomplished as you are. These two look great together!!

OMG. 45 minutes of driving Zorro today and it was FREEZING!! It was not fun and the wind was howling. We were all miserable, but we got out there!

IMG_4355.jpg
IMG_4353.jpg
I'm totally faking it here. Not much to smile about besides just being out with my ponies!

Latest posts

Back