Driving Me Buggy 2019 Hours!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Cheryl!! The big boss here at Patty's Pony Place - congrats on getting a mini!! We developed the shaft system for sleds WAY BACK in 2014 - and since then, and using our basic idea, there have indeed been other systems come along. I also created a skijoring "dynasty", with my skijoring harness and shaft set-up. You can go to both my website - pattysponyplace.com - and to my PPP FB page to see ALL that we have developed for having fun with your miniature horse!! Regarding boots - we have never used boots - either winter or summer. Boots on ice will give your horse traction of course, but that does zero for stabilizing the sled on ice, and skijoring on ice...well, likely not!! So in the winter - we drive when the conditions are right - no boots required when that is the case.

Thank you, Patty! Have been checking out your site and seeing the superb systems you have developed.

We love our girl even though she can be sassy at times - LOL. In harness, she is very good. Our first couple tries with her were a bit nervewracking as I did not expect her to whoa and step back 3 quick steps. And then she reared slightly. So went to ground driving to figure that out...watched more videos and now we seem to be good.

Glad to see you found us over her Cheryl!

I had a wonderful drive with Cappy this morning. I hitched him alone and off we went. No Dan to drive him first to get the "Looky Lou" out of his system.
We worked on some swoopy large turns and I practiced turning with my wrists and shoulders and tried to be less "handsy". My hands tend to get busy and especially so if I get nervous.
His back up is getting more solid, it is pretty good now. Also practiced driving the cart over poles with the pole between horse and wheel.
30 minutes today for Cappy.
Sunday I drove Peanut 20 minutes and Cappy 10. Dan and I drove together and swapped.

Thank you, Cayuse! Am enjoying reading and learning!

Glad to see you getting so much time out with Cappy and Peanut!!

35 minutes driving Candace tonight. Took her up to the family "weenie roast" to give my young (horse crazy) niece a ride. Candace got an hour more driving than I did with her because I let my sister in law take all her kids for rides. She's a horse woman (rodeo queen and all) and fell in love with Candace. We had to drive home in the dark but it gave me a chance to try out my fancy new flashing red bike light that my dad got for me. A few drives we've done together I've turned for home before him because we are so small and hard to see after dusk. He has lights on his wagon so he got me the bike light so I was more visible in the evenings. It was a totally new experience for me to drive in the dark. No street lights until you get to the traffic light. Candace did really well and we made it safely home.

Hours are all caught up. Also I've gotten to catch up on everyone's driving fun! And welcome to Cheryl W!! Happy to have you along for all the fun. What is your mare's name??

Thank you for the welcome! It's great to be around you all and it gets me excited and less anxious about driving. It's all new to me, so slow and easy we go.

Our girl is nicknamed Ezzie. She was called Donni as a foal, and came to us as Asmeralda. Just got her in June. Smart as a whip, she is!!

Have a wonderful day!

Thank you for the welcome! It's great to be around you all and it gets me excited and less anxious about driving. It's all new to me, so slow and easy we go.

Our girl is nicknamed Ezzie. She was called Donni as a foal, and came to us as Asmeralda. Just got her in June. Smart as a whip, she is!!

Have a wonderful day!

Fantastic! I've got you and Ezzie added to our "Driving Hours" spread sheet! This group is super motivating, very helpful, and no drama. You're going to like it here. :)

About 20 minutes driving Midnight today. didn't look at the clock. Started out ground driving her hitched to the cart, then got in. without dapper Dan beside her she was a little squirrelly, but we had a pretty good lesson. New brow band supposed to be mailed today; I think she will do better when she is wearing the driving bridle with blinders. We are in the open bridle at this point.

About 20 minutes driving Midnight today. didn't look at the clock. Started out ground driving her hitched to the cart, then got in. without dapper Dan beside her she was a little squirrelly, but we had a pretty good lesson. New brow band supposed to be mailed today; I think she will do better when she is wearing the driving bridle with blinders. We are in the open bridle at this point.

Hooray! I'm so glad you were able to drive her. She's coming right along for you it sounds like.

1 hour 50 minutes driving Clementine today. We did 6.75 miles along with Ferb. I was sure I'd have my hands full with her today because she tried every trick in the book to get out of having to work while I was harness and hitching her. She was naughty naughty. I climbed in the cart ready for a workout and she moved into a gentle trot down the hill taking the weight of the cart and keeping a steady pace. She was soft in the mouth and responsive and not spooky or jumpy. Go figure!

That's Ferb pulling the wagonette up in front of us in the photo :)0.jpg

MajorClem what are the two straps running from the breeching to the rein turrets? The crossed ones?

Peanut doesn't like to be hitched either, he's a two man job. But once he is snugged in, he is awesome to drive.
Gotta love their quirks! Makes life interesting o_O

Had Ezzie out for 40 minutes this morning!!!! She started out being "naughty" and making it clear she didn't want to. A little difficult to harness but perhaps she's in heat. Got going and she went quietly though acted a bit unsettled at first. Think she simply didn't like the breeching today (again, in heat is my guess). All walking as she had no desire to step it up.

Here is a question...sometimes (or more often than not)...if I ask her to whoa, she turns her body sideways as much as possible and tries to rear up a bit. My hands are light and I've all ready released pressure on the reins to reward the whoa. Usually my husband is with us so he can get ahold of her. But what is the best way to handle this if I'm alone?

Happy driving, everyone!

MajorClem what are the two straps running from the breeching to the rein turrets? The crossed ones?

Peanut doesn't like to be hitched either, he's a two man job. But once he is snugged in, he is awesome to drive.
Gotta love their quirks! Makes life interesting o_O

The straps are what I hook my "bun bag" aka horse diaper too. I don't have rings on my hip straps to hold the bag so LeRoy at CountrySide Manufacturing (makes the comfy fit harness) got me these handy straps. I have a set on Candace's harness as well. I have to cross them so they don't slip down her sides. So the bag hooks to rings at the end of the straps and then to the breeching. Works like a charm since I drive on neighborhood streets mostly.

@Cheryl W I would go back to working with her on her "Whoa" without a cart. Sounds like she needs a little more understanding of what you expect from her. If you have to you it's always okay to go all the way back to working with "whoa" on a lead. As nutty as Clementine can be her "whoa" is solid. And if she ever tries to blow through a whoa (which she used to try once in a while) we would do a whole lesson on a lead then a whole lesson ground driving. That always fixed it. You wouldn't drive a car you knew had faulty breaks right ;) A few lessons and you'll have her right in no time at all.

I'm also wondering if her rearing up and turning is to avoid the breeching if she's not liking it already. In that case, driving her down some hills hitched to the cart but you walking behind it with longer reins might help. It took Clementine a bit to get used to taking the weight of the cart with the breeching. She bucked like mad the first time I took her down a hill with the cart hitched. Luckily I walking behind.

I agree with going back to ground driving for the whoa. You need to set yourselves up for success.
If you go on this way, she could get into a bad habit. And you might not always have someone to go to her head if you get in a fix.
Also, you might try stopping her on inclines where the weight of the cart doesn't engage the breeching, until she gets more comfortable.
Another thought is the bit. Is it one she is used to? Maybe she doesn't not like the bit and that is why she fights the pressure on the whoa. I had my new one in a french link, which my other horses have all done well with. Midnight did not like it at all. I changed to a butterfly arch, and she was immediately better. Iowa Carriage was very good about helping me choose a bit.

Good advice from MC and Marsha.
I have one that doesn't like jointed mouth prices and the joint hits the roof of his mouth when the bit action gets to a certain point. I put him in a Mullen mouth snaffle and that stopped him from getting "light" up front. He never really reared, but we had many little "pop ups" that was solved with a bit change.
I know you are working on "whoa" but if she really gets offering to rear, I would move her forward right out of the rear so she doesn't go up and over. But I bet if you go back to ground driving and do a lot of walk to halt transitions she will get over it. Work on halting when she is tired, she may be more willing to stop and stand quieter then. Work up to the length of time she has to stand halted a little bit at a time.
If you think the breeching might be goosing her, post a picture of her in the harness and someone here maybe can help to tweak the fit. A second set of eyes can be helpful.

Thank you all so much for your replies and suggestions. As we are not working inclines yet...the one just down the road is quite steep to start with, so haven't pursued that. Just going on flat at this point (have 3 miles of flat to work).

I have, actually, worked her for several weeks after the first incident of popping up, at walk/halt/stand transitions and she seemed to get it. Went next to ground driving with the same type work, and she seemed very good. Went to cart again and she is better, but did have a little pop yesterday. So will go back to ground work this week. She really was in a mood yesterday for sure. Even tried to kick me after unharnessing. Sassy thing.

I also agree and have figured out that asking for a whoa too early (before she's worked a bit) is detrimental. Still, it is an expected and reasonable request.

As to the bit, she is in a half-cheek snaffle which is what she came with and was "trained" with. Now, she is still young and this may well not be the best bit for her. Her mouth is still unused to having a bit. But I do not see a lot of mouthing (except in the very beginning which I don't think is too odd), and once moving on, she seems content. No head shaking or big mouthing.

I should post a photo of her in harness just in case I've not gotten something correct on her. Good idea and thank you so much!!

Hey Cheryl, if you do post a pic of your harness will you post it to "Your Drive Day" Or start a new thread with your questions? When I go through this thread looking for driving minutes sometimes they get lost amid the conversation. You'll also likely get more suggestions and support with a thread dedicated to your harness photos. It's amazing what each person here will pick up on. Thanks!!!

IMG_1302.jpg

I drove Sky and Zorro as a team (ground driving) today for 60 minutes. I am still trying to figure things out so we do a lot of stopping while I adjust this and that (mostly the team lines!). We only went a mile in that 60 minutes :D But they did so much better than the last two times I drove them! I am focusing on keeping their noses level and both on the bit at the same time. This is tricky because Zorro walks very fast and Sky does not. So we end up with Zorro walking fast and Sky trotting. Not pretty and very awkward but that's where we are right now! Tomorrow I haul them 2 hours to the indoor arena and hands on help of my friend who drives Percherons :) I'm excited to finally attach them to the tire drag!

IMG_1311.jpg

We spent 5 hours at our friend's indoor arena today. I drove Sky and Zorro for about an hour of that. They pulled the tire drag for the first time!! Whoot whoot!!

Then my friend Molly hitched her girls together for the first time and they did so well she also had them drag the tires! On their FIRST day! We had a lot of support from our friend Carrie who drive percherons and also our friend Patti who drives Fjords. It was an awesome day!

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1517(1).jpg

And a video of Sky and Zorro!

It's so fun to see everyone out enjoying their minis around here!

Latest posts

Back