Driving magazines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
Does any one here get these magazines? And which do you prefer and why?

We only drive for fun so would like whichever was more training based.

Thanks

Angie

I get both and both are excellent magazines.

IMHO Driving Digest leans more toward the bigger driving events. However, thats not to say they don't cover the smaller events and occasionally have articles pertaining to VSE's.

Carriage Driving World tends to go more to the smaller shows and, I guess because it's published here in Texas, I recognize more of the people and places.

Both have good content pertaining to various aspects of training and equipment.

So, depending on you tastes the answer is, it depends.

Subscribe to both of them and solve the problem.
default_biggrin.png

lol thanks...are they about the same in terms of pages? Does that make sense...is one a bigger magazine? Does one cover more VSE's

Angie

They are both pretty similar in size, pages etc. And I have seen VSE stuff in both on occasion. THe latest Driving Digest has several good trainig articles, teaching the rein back and using the outside rein. Carriage Driving World has had some problems in the past with getting the magazine out. The person putting the magazine out has had a lot of problems in the past with getting flooded out, etc. So no fault of hers, just a run of bad luck. It seems more consistant now although I think I may have let my subscription lapse. I will have to get that renewed! I would get a subscription to both initially and see what you think.

I'd like to add a recommendation for the "American Carriage Driver", published 4 times yearly by Dottie Billington.

I haven't seen a "Driving Digest" in awhile, though I subscribed several years ago. I 'may' renew to the "Carriage Driving World", though I am a bit leery due to a rather lengthy period of ongoing problems w/ getting it out to subscribers....it may be fine by now, but I let my subscription lapse out of frustration awhile back.

The "ACD" is wide-ranging and well-written and covers a good variety of subjects; it is also 'VSE-friendly'--I would highly recommend it! You can contact the editor at: [email protected], and on the web at: http://www.acdmag.com .

Try it; you'll like it!

Margo

I get all three of the magazines mentioned plus "The Whip" as an ADS member and they all have their virtues. I haven't been overly impressed with Driving Digest and only subscribed this year because they offered a special rate at the National Drive. I'm already rethinking my subscription but the one thing I LOVE about the magazine is the training articles by Andy Marcoux. Those are FABULOUS!! Utterly invaluable and very nearly worth the subscription all by themselves. Otherwise it's mostly ads and one-page antique carriage articles and a bit of recreational driving stuff. It just feels...I don't know, flimsy. All but those one or two great training articles in each issue are usually no more than a page and the overwhelming impression is quarter-page or half-page black and white ads. The current issue is 64 pages.

Carriage Driving World has had some problems with timely delivery but is one of the best magazines out there when it's actually available. Each issue has an excellent training article by Hardy Zantke, an "Ask Muffy" column with Muffy Seaton, coverage of events big and small in glossy full-color detail, and almost always something about the VSE's. Unfortunately since the issue that was due out last October and finally came out this spring I haven't seen another one and there's nothing new on the website either. *sigh* The last issue was 60 pages.

AmeriCan Carriage Driver is a VERY good magazine with more of a recreational driving flavor than Carriage Driving World. Again, lots of VSE coverage and some very useful articles on "How To" in each issue. The latest issue was 46 pages and featured book reviews, harness reviews, places to drive your horse, old driving postcards, a featured equine artist, new products, and articles on various sleigh ralleys and CDE's along with some training articles. It's not as full-color glossy as Carriage Driving World but feels solid and satisfying with plenty of content. Almost everything is informative, not the same ads over and over.

The best magazine, design- and content-wise, is The Whip but you have to be an ADS member to get that one. It's well worth it in my opinion! That's the only membership I have where I feel I actually get my money's worth in return.

Leia

Latest posts

Back