Driving horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keri

Reaction score
Okay, I've been driving my gelding for about 3 years. And he's always done this. Not sure how to fix it or if I can. When I drive him, he always pulls to the left a little. I keep my right line tighter to keep him straight. Acts like his alignment if off!
default_biggrin.png
There is nothing physically wrong with him or the harness. I drive him in a half cheek snaffle driving bit. Should I change bits??? Any suggestions????
default_laugh.png

lots of circles! start out at 20 meter and work into tighter circles the more supple the horse gets. remember to work both sides but i'd work the "stiff" side twice as long for a while to help get him loosened and suppled. once he starts getting there take him off the circle for a few strides and ask him to go "straight" Figure 8's with a straight spot in the middle works well for this to do a few strides then go the other direction). just ask for a few strides at first and gruadually lengthen it until you can do say a whole side of your arena ect. remember it's not going to be an easy thing for him if he's not balanced and supple and it wont be easy considering it's probably also a habit by now. small steps but LOTS of circles for now.

Check your equipment - make sure every piece is even. Same number of holes on each side. I'd also have his teeth checked

All the equipment is equal and he's had his teeth done and added a driving seat too. So that's all good.

Thanks Boinky. That's a good idea. Have to try and find a place to do cirlces and figure 8s. I can possibly see how that might cure it.
default_biggrin.png

You mean a bit seat? Those are good to have. I'd also make sure he's seen by a chiropractor before you say "there's nothing physically wrong with him."

Leia

My horses tend to drop a shoulder going to the right. I know it's not the horse, I've had several do it. I know it's the driver :DOH! just took me awhile to realize that I was doing the same thing I used to do in the saddle, dropping my own shoulder on that side...... By all means get your horse checked out, but don't overlook your own body position.

Jan

default_saludando.gif
Hi!

I would think it's a good possiblilty that it's his teeth also if he's stronger on one side verses the other.. it can be a number of things.... but I would have teeth checked first and go from there....

Like I said, his teeth are done. So no need for checking there. Yep, it was a bit seat. Sorry, brain fart. Guess a chiropractor would be a good idea. He doesn't seem stiff or anything and he flies over jumps. Have to see if I can even find someone.
default_smile.png

I've driven in lessons with proffesionals and they said I drive fine. But I'll pay more attention to myself. I try and watch my hands and where they sit. Need someone to drive with, I guess.

Thanks for the help!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back