Driving Horses - What's too small?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Hey again guys!

I got the stick out on my yearling colt (measured on his birthday but he's almost 13 months old now) and I tagged him right at 26.50" even. According to the LB height calculator I can expect him to mature 29" to 30" tall fully grown. He was my "dream purchase" for my stallion addition - he's the newest addition to my farm being a bay-based grey medicine hat pinto (I believe he carries splash and tobiano but I will be checking for LWO before breeding) blue eyed colt who I was planning on sending off for driving training so I could enjoy him and show in local shows. He is a very refined boy and I am starting to wonder.....will he be too small to do driving?

I am about 140lbs at 5'5" (trying to lose some extra pounds) and we have an easy entry lightweight cart. The harness I have will DEFINATELY not fit him as it is WAY too big so I would have to buy a new one but that's no problem.

If he will be too small for driving, I will have to just settle on my soon-to-be gelding to be my main cart horse as he's 32.50" and I know he can do the job.

Thanks for the input!!

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion. I think anything under 31 in. is too short to drive, however I have seen people and have several horse friends who drive 28 to 30 in. horses with no issues. On that note I say do what you and the horse feel comfortable with. If at any time the animal seems to be struggling I would then maybe reconsider your driving horse. I am sure you will get a lot of opinions from this thread but in the end it's up to you to decide what is best for you and your horse.

(null)

I had a National Top Ten horse that was 29" tall, and I am a bit larger than you LOL! As long as you are careful of the footing and how deep it is, he should be fine.

I think the under 30" horses can easily be driving horses! There are obviously certain factors to consider: a properly balanced cart, good footing (not deep as Ruffian stated), and of course that the horse is kept fit!

I trained our 29" stallion to drive and the only time he seemed to have any trouble is going up the hill to our barn so I would just get out at the bottom and walk up. I didnt keep him very fit, just drove him whenever I had time, so didnt expect him to be able to pull the hill with me!

I think the under 30" horses can easily be driving horses! There are obviously certain factors to consider: a properly balanced cart, good footing (not deep as Ruffian stated), and of course that the horse is kept fit!
I completely agree with this. A well balanced cart, well fitting harness, proper footing and a horse that is properly conditioned. My friend has a 29" stallion that is a multi-National GRAND Pleasure Driving horse. Best movement I've seen, period, on a miniature horse. Her daughter drives him mostly and she weighs about the same as you. The mother also drives him at home, regularly, to keep him in condition. She weighs considerably more than you. He horse always has more to give, so she doesn't appear to be "too much" for him. But he is conditioned very well and drives regularly year-round.

I'd say continue to watch how your boy matures and make a decision when he's old enough. You just never know!! Best of luck to you.

Another thing you have to look at is how much bone the horse has. A really refined mini is going to have a harder time pulling a cart especially one thats under 30". I driven a under 30" stallion before and he drove just fine and I'm not a small person but he had a lot of bone and substance. For sure nothing under 28".

When I went to watch the AMHA World Show, I saw many many very large exhibitors driving their horses. Several drivers had to weigh at least 200 pounds and more. I think as long as you have the cart properly balanced and the right footing, there should not be an issue.

Oh yes, a 29" can easily drive. I weigh in the same range as you do and drove a 28 3/4". He was not refined, was a very sturdy gelding. I think a 29" stallion is totally capable of driving.

I have a 28.25" driving stallion who drives like a dream. We retired him from sanctioned shows last year at age 17. But he still loves to drive. I don;t put him in arenas where the shavings are really, really deep as his legs are short and that is a problem. He still gives 110% but I don't want him to be at a disadvantage. But on hard surfaces, watch out because he can fly. As we say, great things in small packages.....

SilverBelle2009ad.jpg

One of the most awesome driving horses out there was a 28" stallion driven by a full grown man. That little thing never stopped strutting his stuff, totally animated and eating it up with a spoon. Ears were always up and that little guy was HAPPY.

More important than height is the balance of your rig and how it sits on your horse....as well as the footing. Even a big 'B' is going to be huffing and puffing if pulling a cart around in deep soft footing.

Latest posts

Back