Driving Demo

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleonard

Reaction score
I have been asked to do a demo for the local riding for the handicapped program during their summer camp. They are having two week long camps back to back and I will be doing one demo for each camp with the minis.

I have asked several time what they would like to see, but haven’t gotten much feedback. I did mention that I had the Hyperbike and perhaps the kids would get a kick out of that, but they made it sound like they want the option of giving rides, so I’ll probably take the easy entry. If rides are involved I will be using Suzy, as she is more experienced and I trust her to be on her best behavior. I will be covered under their insurance. I will find out for sure about rides soon, I think little Suzy might have trouble in their footing as it is a bit deep. It will depend on how many participants they have at the camp.

Regardless of whether we give rides or not, I want to find some fun ideas for the demo that will keep the kids interested and involved. I have never done anything like this, and I’m looking for ideas of what to demonstrate. Has anyone done a demo like this, and if so, what did you do?

I was thinking that at the end I would let the minis show off some of the tricks I’ve taught them. Suzy loves showing off what she knows for kids, but Locita has more tricks, so I will likely bring both of them.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I will be covered under their insurance.
Before I say anything else...please do make sure you are insured under your own insurance as well. Should someone be hurt, their insurance company will go after everyone in order...from you...to the association, to the owner of the property/dfacility at which this is held.

As for what to do, I have done a few demos in the past, and kept it rather simple. You don't want to spend all your time putting up a course and taking it down. A few cones would be fun... You could set up a short cones pattern, or a small driven obstacle course...a serpentine for example...a few "go throughs", and a back up. We also have barrel and pole bending races...you could set up a barrels course, and just jog through it.

It is great that you have an opportunity to show people what a mini can do, that they are not just toys to be looked at...and they can excell at theraputic driving and riding as well, when trained for it. I sold a mini a few years ago to a theraputic facility, and it is wonderful to see the children who are confined to wheelchairs, able to brush, and tack up their own horse.

Before I say anything else...please do make sure you are insured under your own insurance as well. Should someone be hurt, their insurance company will go after everyone in order...from you...to the association, to the owner of the property/dfacility at which this is held.
They told me that I would be covered, but I've been thinking that it is just easier and safer all around if we do not give rides. I believe they will be doing another driving demo with one of the therapy horses, I think I'll just leave the rides up to them. It was something I'd been worrying about anyways.

Thank you for the other suggetions, you've given me some great ideas. They do have barrels and cones avaliable that they use for therapy sessions, and I have a ton of equipment that I use for mounted games as well, so I can bring some bending poles or something along those lines.

It is great that you have an opportunity to show people what a mini can do, that they are not just toys to be looked at...and they can excell at theraputic driving and riding as well, when trained for it. I sold a mini a few years ago to a theraputic facility, and it is wonderful to see the children who are confined to wheelchairs, able to brush, and tack up their own horse.
This facility has several minis that they use for therapy. There are some clients that are intimidated by the big horses, and the minis have made all the difference for them. I am looking forward to showing the kids what all minis can do, as they ones they have do not currently drive.

I have taken mine many times to schools and fairs. Bring brushes! They do enjoy grooming the horses. Show them all the parts of a horse--hooves, teeth, where the tail really is, smelling a horse.

I know they would love to see their tricks!

I was thinking of having them watch as I tack up, and explaining the basics as I go, thanks for the ideas!

I took a stallion of mine to a summer camp. He was very well trained in driving. These were kids that were participating in the horse program so they already knew the basics of how to ride a horse. I did a quick little intro to the mini horses of where they came from and took questions, then I started tacking him up for the driving. I told them about some of the parts of the harness like bridle, saddle, breaching. I didnt get into much detail since in my seminar they got to drive Romeo around the arena. After he was tacked up i took him for a quick spin and told them the cues as i demonstrated then i let the kids go 2 at a time in the cart. Of course i walked near his head with in grabbing range, to make sure they didnt get into trouble. For the most part they did very well.

Then I took them out and let them do a driving obstacle class and I acted as the judge. The kids were pretty good. There was one driver in particular that did the class almost perfection so they got the ribbon. Of course Romeo got to spend the week at the camp and the kids just adored him. He was the best horse ever...

Hope you have a lot of fun.

I took a stallion of mine to a summer camp. He was very well trained in driving. These were kids that were participating in the horse program so they already knew the basics of how to ride a horse. I did a quick little intro to the mini horses of where they came from and took questions, then I started tacking him up for the driving. I told them about some of the parts of the harness like bridle, saddle, breaching. I didnt get into much detail since in my seminar they got to drive Romeo around the arena. After he was tacked up i took him for a quick spin and told them the cues as i demonstrated then i let the kids go 2 at a time in the cart. Of course i walked near his head with in grabbing range, to make sure they didnt get into trouble. For the most part they did very well.

Then I took them out and let them do a driving obstacle class and I acted as the judge. The kids were pretty good. There was one driver in particular that did the class almost perfection so they got the ribbon. Of course Romeo got to spend the week at the camp and the kids just adored him. He was the best horse ever...

Hope you have a lot of fun.
I'll bet those kids loved that!

Latest posts

Back