Driving Carts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topnotchminis

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a question for you. I am having a mare trained to drive this year. What brand or cart do you think would be a good choice that I could work with her in, and show in. What have you had success with? What kind of driving reigns do you like? Any tips would be great thanks!

I really like my Graber show cart. It is well built and well balanced. I have both wooden and wire wheels for it so it is very versatile. It was less expensive than a Jerrald or Houghton and yet has a competitive look to it.

I have 1/2 inch brown reins from bit to hand with a swivel and pinkie loop at your hand.

It depends partly on what kind of showing you are doing. Easy entry carts are great for home use, and can be used at some of the smaller shows and for obstacle events. For the bigger shows, you mostly see the pleasure carts like jeralds or grabers. There have been a few threads here that had alot of info about carts people like and makes of carts. You can do search here with a few words like driving or carts. I just started a couple years ago and I have an easy entry cart and a jerald for show. Good Luck!

Barb

Kayla,

We own Jerralds carts, Houghton carts, Graber carts and a couple other brands that either aren't making carts anymore or are a small off brand. I'd have to say Jerralds are the best you cn buy. They are more expensive than the other companies, but they don't make as much noise as the others when riding in them, they are more comfortable, they are lighter than the older Houghtons, (Houghton is now owned and made by Jerrald), and they look better than the rest. Of course this is just my opinion and you will have to decide if you would want to spend that kind of money.

I have a Jerald and a Graber cart. Both are awesome in the show ring. My Graber is lighter weight and the shafts are not as wide as Jerald. I really like this cart as its much more light weight for me too pull around and for my horses. I use this on my smaller minis so that they are able to get the action. My Jerald is heavier and a bit wider. The shafts are wider. I use this cart for my B minis. The shafts are also an inch longer (49"). But the bigger guys can handle this cart without a problem. I did have my 32" mini pull this before I had gotten my Graber. He struggled a little and couldn't quite get his action needed for the pleasure class. But both are great carts. Both have held up quite well to horses flipping in them (just a few minor scratches but they are both well built to withstand angry horses).

But if you are looking for a training cart and show cart, I would spend a little more money and get a wood EE cart (jerald makes a nice one). They look a bit nicer in the show ring and can still hold up to training.

We bought a Graber cart when we first started showing. Bought a second one last year. Must mean I really like them. We have been really satisfied with them and with the service Mr. Graber has given us.

Is there a website for the Graber carts or any of the other kinds mentioned on here...the only kind I have ever heard of and my mom has is Jerald.

The last I knew Graber did not have a website. They are a Menonite family in Indiana. They make a nice, well-balanced cart.

Thanks everyone! I think this year I will buy a simple easy cart, and if my mare does well at some little shows next year I will buy a nicer one. Thanks so much for the tips! I can't wait till my mare is driving this spring!

Latest posts

Back