Driving Boots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equine_luver

Reaction score
I have just recently got my pony driving, and I need to get some boots for him, but I have no idea which to get. Country supply has some "Old Mac" boots on sale for like 98.00 a pair. But then there are also another pair, I don't remember the brand, but they were 15.00 a piece. I dont even know what size he would wear, he's due for a trim, so if i measured it wouldnt be right until we got the farrier out here. another thing im afaid of is if i get a pair and they rub him raw or something. so what do you use? he really needs them soon, if im gonna drive him, i try to keep him off the gravel, but its hard, cause to get from the barn to the house i have to go down a gravel road, with very little grass to drive in. I like the 15.00 price bet but I dont want him to suffer because I bought the cheap ones. thanks for letting me ramble ;)

I would suggest doing a search on Google, so as to find and study ALL the info on ALL of the kinds of protective horse boots you can find! Most all are pretty pricey; honestly, I don't think anything that costs only $15 apiece is going to be what you want, as I can't imagine it holding up to any serious use. Measuring your horse's properly-trimmed feet, accurately, will be VERY important, for starters.

I have a pair of pony-sized Easy Boots, and just ordered another pair, so my 38" B mare will have them for all four feet. Some design 'tweaks' have been made on Easy Boots, and I do like them better than the older pair I have, for my smaller minis(which DO work OK, after I did some work on them.)The sizing of the Pony sized Easy Boots is EXACTLY right for my B mare, which helps a LOT; it is true, though, that Easy Boots *can* be a bit of a challenge to put on(removal is pretty easy)-but both actions require "tools"-a flat strap,(which now comes with each one-a good idea!) for putting on, and a flat-blade screwdriver, for removal(I carry the screwdriver in my spares bag, while driving, and for my 'big' riding mare, for whom I also have a set of 4 Easy Boots, I carry it in my saddle or cantle bag.)Easy Boots do not come above the hair line; although I like the look of the Old Macs, and of some of the others, personally, I have concerns about 'rubbing' issues with those that come up around the pastern, because as the horse moves, such boots 'have to' move back and forth over that surface....? IMO,the most promising type of boot I have found a website for, which looked as if it could fit minis as well as anything made, was an outfit in Arizona-can't recall the name of the maker just now, but they have both a completely CUSTOM made, and a 'semi-custom' type, in a complete range of sizes-AND, theirs can be redone-the bottom resurfaced-so the useful life can be extended! They are fairly pricey, though, as I recall. Good luck; it is a real challenge to find something that will FIT, STAY ON, AND BE COMFORTABLE FOR, minis!

Edited to add: Be sure to read all the info about any 'boot'; some of the less expensive ones are actually "barrier boots", made really only for medication, NOT for actually 'travelling', and wouldn't hold up to 'going-down-the-road' use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with Margo, you really need to measure your horse before ordering in order to get a proper fit. easy boots do come in a mini size as well now, they are hard to find, but I just ordered a pair off of minitack.com . That is the only place I have seen them in a mini size.

Good luck in your search for boots. I know I've tried alot of things to use as shoes on my driving mini. We tried an appoxy that hardens on the bottom of the foot and then you shape it into a shoe. It worked really well for about 4 weeks then we had to redue it, that go pretty expensive. We also tried a shoe called baby-glu. where you cut a pad to fit and then it is glued on with tabs. It also worked go for driving, but my mini was a little rough playing in his pen and I was always regluing the tabs back on. Those were too expensive, $45 per pair, you just had to make sure all the tabs stayed glued.

good luck in your search.

i've heard alot of great things about Old Macs.. do they actually make them in mini size though? i didn't think they did. i have some friends that ride in old macs consistently and swear by them.

The horse I want them for isn't really a mini, he's techically a pony, so it may be a bit easier to find some for him. I'd say he's about 40 inches or so.I'm just gonna have to do some research until I can afford to buy some. Thanks for your responses.

Latest posts

Back