Driving bits.. what do you prefer and why

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Lisa~

Reaction score
Just wondering what bit everyone prefers. I realize different horses like different things but what is your bit of choice and why?

Copper half cheek snaffel... This was the bit I used and my horse responded very well to it . Tried it on another horse and she liked it too. So I like it for the reason that it is mild, and easy on the horses , and they seem to like it. I make sure there are no parts that can pinch hair , or skin. I also have used a French Link Snaffel...my horse was so mellow and light that I didnt need it .

it will be interesting to see what others say

I have 4 minis that are in various stages of driving training. All were started in plain half-cheek mullen mouth snaffles, and two are still using them. I bought a Myler comfort mouth snaffle for one of them and later a Myler mullen mouth. Right now the stallion is using the original Myler bit and Princess is using the mullen mouth Myler. Everyone seems happy with these choices so I can't say I have a "favorite".

I always use a smooth, non pinch, mullen mouth snaffle or a jointed snaffle. I also like bits with the copper inlays, but not a full copper mouthpeice.

I also have used a French Link Snaffle...my horse was so mellow and light that I didnt need it .
Actually, a french-link snaffle is a milder bit than a single-jointed snaffle because there is much less nut-cracker effect. That is why it is my favorite, although I have had horses which prefer either a mullen or roller bit.

Well of course you have to ask the horse which he prefers. But I personally prefer Myler Comfort Snaffles. Second choice is a French Link.

Yea me too, last month I bought my boy a Myler Comfort Bit and he's a happy boy and that's all that matters to me. It's got a roller on it to keep him occupied and that's a good thing. Couldn't ask for anything better. TJ

for training i always use a full cheek snaffle because it's easier to turn the horse and it can't slide through the horses' mouth.

For the Minis I like the french link bits, though I've also had success with the ordinary jointed snaffles for a number of them. I have one horse that works best in a full cheek bit with the keepers on, just because he doesn't like to have the jointed mouth drop down on his tongue and the keepers prevent that from happening. He does also go okay in the french link.

I generally don't use a mullen mouth bit unless it's on a well trained horse & we're just going down the road--reason being that the mullen mouth bit doesn't give the independent side action I want from a bit. For training & dressage type driving it's much easier to get proper bend with a french link or jointed snaffle. If the horse is stiff on one side it's very hard to get him going straight and on the bit with the mullen mouth--the finesse just isn't there.

Thanks everyone I really prefer the french link as well I prefer a D ring over a half cheek and would prefer a full cheek over a half cheek with a regular snaffle but of course those are not as easy to find.

Was just curious what everyone else thinks I appreciate your answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently using a french link with copper inlay that everyone seems to be happy with. I also use the Myler snaffle with a small port - my preference, depending on the horse.

Jan

Jan can you tell me where you got that bit from?

Latest posts

Back