Drive Me Buggy 2020 Hours

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60 minutes driving Annie today.

I trailered her over to the horse park yesterday because they are holding an HDT. I paid for 3 days to keep her there so she could get used to all the goings on. ATVs scooters, bicycles and large horses in carriages everywhere. They had 29 competitors today. I drove her around after the last competitor was done for today and we went through some hazards too. Going back tomorrow. She did great. Lots of things going on so she was pretty forward. Well, when isn't she?!!!!

45 minutes driving Annie today.

Last day of the HDT. Watched a lot of good drivers and great horses today! Drove Annie after the end of the competition. When we started in the warm-up area there was a lot of noise and things going on next to it. Horses pawing in trailers, winches pulling big carriages up into truck beds and trucks and trailers driving through the warm-up area on their way out. She was really wound up! She had to stand around all day in a small 12x12 paddock and she isn't used to that, since she has a large area to move around here.

30 minutes driving Rocko today.

I set up a lot of cones for our exercises and he was a lot more supple! My husband drove Annie down the road to a neighbors and drove her around their property. Those two are a really good match because they both like to fly!

25 minutes driving Annie today.

I got in a short drive before it started raining. Our first rain of the season! Still picking a few tomatoes, strawberries and eggplant in November. Craziness!

30 minutes driving Rocko today.

We had a lesson this morning. He needs work on transitioning to halt and stand. He has thrown some teenage fits about standing lately and so that was a big part of our lesson with a cone pattern. It started out a little rough, but then we trotted around a bit and came back to it and he finished well.

30 minutes driving Annie today.

I had to share her, but she did so well with both of us. When one drove her the other drove the golf cart so she could get used to it flying around her. She was a rockstar! I take back everything I said about her pushy mare attitude the other day. lol

Nov 8th
60 minutes ground driving Rebel both in the travois and in the cart for the 3rd time. All went great. Worked on walking, trotting, stopping, and changing direction.
35 minutes ground driving Fancy

Nov 12
65 minutes ground driving Rebel. Worked in the travois and in the cart.
45 minutes ground driving Fancy

Nov 15
75 minutes ground driving Rebel. Worked on ground driving in the travois and made sure she was very comfortable with the cart. I sat in the cart for the very first time! I had someone there to help me just in case anything happened, but all went very well. Rebel was completely fine with everything and she started to understand how to actually pull with some weight in the cart. She even figured out how to stop and back. The ground in the arena has some very slight uphills and downhills so she can start getting used to that as well.

Nov 19
45 minutes ground driving Rebel. Went from ground driving to hooking up to the cart. I didn’t have anyone to help this time, so to help with Rebel getting used to some weight in the cart, I tied in a 40lb bag of shavings to where you would normally sit in the cart. This provided some weight for her to get used to pulling but it wasn’t a ton. She did great!
45 minutes ground driving Fancy

Nov 20
Ground drove Jessica for 45 minutes, I got to get her back in shape for our winter show season!

Nov 22
Ground drove Rebel with the cart for a while, and then stepped in the cart for the second time. She was amazing! Listened to all cues and did everything I asked. We even trotted for the first time with someone in the cart!
Ground drove Fancy for 60 minutes. She got hitched up to the Travois for the very first time! Beforehand I let her follow me all around with it dragging behind me, while I tried to make as much noise as possible with it I had her stand with my helper and I picked it up and dropped it all around her, and rubbed her down all over with it. After that was all said and done, I hitched her too it and had absolutely no issues. I walked around and trotted with it on her, and like before she had no care so I decided to ground drive her with it on! She did awesome! She may be hitched up to the cart sooner than I thought : )

Attachments

• IMG_6979.jpeg
    IMG_6979.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
All caught up! Sorry I've been slow about it. My horses moved south two weeks ago and then I went south for a week. I was going to keep a few here over the winter but I wasn't able to drive much in the good weather so I figured I wasn't going to be driving in the bad weather. Maybe sledding with them next year.

Candace came back 3 weeks later instead of one week and she is in great shape! She got driven every day, twice a day, for three weeks. The 8 year old who borrowed her learned to harness and hitch herself (very horsey family, she's already done her first Mustang Makeover) and took Candace to the town Trunk-or-Treat as well as gave rides to every kid in town over the course of the three weeks.

Love catching up on everyone's hours and progress. Happy Holidays everyone. I know our celebrations might look a little different this year but I am thankful for this group and my mini horses to get me outside and focused on the good.

Latest posts

Back