Drive Me Buggy 2020 Hours

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30 minutes ground driving Rocko today.

My husband drove Annie today and she got a little naughty. It has cooled down considerably here and she was feeling frisky, plus seeing what she could get away with with him. 😉

Stripe, does she always turn one way when you stop? If so, think ahead and take a little more hold on the opposite rein a stride before you ask for halt to catch her before she turns. Teaching a "stop stand" command on the lead line can help with this too.
Thank you! I’ll try this next time! Sometimes she’ll come to a complete stop when I ask, then sometimes she’ll stop and then turn around towards me. Little stinker XD she’s getting better at not doing it though!

Hi,
Not sure if you mean the horse is just looking back at you with it's head or turning his body around. With a horse new to ground driving (that turns their body around to face me) I usually run the reins through the lowest ring if I am using a surcingle or through the tugs if I have the harness saddle on. This way when they turn I can use the reins around their back end to prevent them from turning and they usually catch on really quick.
Thank you! I do the same, but sometimes she likes to turn her whole body towards me fast enough I can’t catch her back end with the rein. I just have to be more vigilant for that XD

October 8
Worked with Rebel for 1 hour ground driving using the Travois both on the gavel outside and in the large arena.
Worked with Fancy for about 45 minutes ground driving

October 11
Got Rebel’s new harness fitted and ground drove her for about an hour
Fancy got to try her Bridle on for the 3rd time but she didn’t get ground driven today

Stripe, I hear you! The other day Rocko spooked so fast while I was ground driving him and turned to face me. They can get themselves in a tangle before you know it!

Also sometimes when ground driving Rocko will try to turn around because he doesn't want to go the way I am going. I carry a whip just like when driving. I can gently touch his side teaching him to move away from pressure. I know left to his own devices he would turn around and not walk past the bushes where the rabbit used to dart out of so I use this aid and my voice to encourage him to stay straight and walk on by.

I think the coyotes must have gotten that rabbit but there's just no explaining that to your horse!

Hi guys! I have tested positive for COVID so my driving days will be numbered this month. Sigh. I haven't been horribly sick so that's good. But I am so TIRED. There aren't even words good enough to explain how tired I feel. And weak. So so weak.

I'll catch up my driving hours for now!
9/22/20 - 90 minutes ground driving
9/30/20 - 60 minutes ground driving
10/1/20 - 60 minutes ground driving

Hi guys! I have tested positive for COVID so my driving days will be numbered this month. Sigh. I haven't been horribly sick so that's good. But I am so TIRED. There aren't even words good enough to explain how tired I feel. And weak. So so weak.
Sorry to hear Mindy! Prayers for you! <3

I asked my sister to come out and drive with me this morning, as Midnight has not been in harness in a month. I don't want her to forget what she knows. My sister drove Dapper Dan, so we walked the whole two miles, which didn't hurt Midnight at all.
I am good for a few hours in the morning. Also we needed to drive before the forecast wind gets up today. Midnight acted as though we just drove yesterday. What a good girl.
65 minutes driving Midnight.

Mindy, just read your post. Hope you are feeling better. Please keep us posted! Will keep you in my thoughts and tho I'm not the biggest prayer person, one was just sent out for you. Hang in there. Laurie

Caught up!

I'm not driving her this week but Candace got 8 miles and some cone work yesterday. A good friend and coworker of my husband has an 8 year old daughter who wanted to borrow a mini to drive for a week while she is out of school. This family rides and drives from the moment they are born so I feel confident lending Candace to them. I bet she comes home in much better shape than when she left!

9-15
60 minutes ground driving Rebel. worked in the big outdoor arena on a lot of trotting and direction changes and she did great! I'm trying to do more outdoor things now before the bad weather really starts to come in again.

45 minutes Ground driving Fancy. Worked on trotting while in the lines as well as transitions. She's slowly getting there however she's way more stubborn than Reb XD

30 minutes driving Rocko hitched today.

Still working on being more forward at the walk. He likes to trot or canter in the cart because it's easier when the cart is rolling. It's harder at the walk but he needs to figure out it will be a little easier if he walks a little faster and learns to use his hind end. He is getting more fit. He didn't sweat today.

Latest posts

Back