Drive Me Buggy 2020 Hours

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
25 minutes ground driving Rocko today.

I'm going to wait to drive him again when my husbands home this weekend. Until he gets some more miles, I'm not going to drive him when no one is around. Planning to drive miss Annie tomorrow. I have 80 drives on her now. She knows what she is doing, but now she needs to go to new places to get experience.

30 minutes driving Rocko today.

There was some construction going on the other side of us with huge cranes and loud noises because they were drilling into steel beams. It was also a little windy so he was spooky today. He got upset and broke into a canter but I was able to get him to transition to a trot and back to a walk. He took a while to settle down today, so not long after he started blowing out and relaxing I brought him back in so we could end on a good note.

My little friend wanted her dad to watch her drive Annie so she drove Annie yesterday instead of me, but at least she got worked!

20 minutes ground driving Rocko yesterday.

30 minutes driving Annie yesterday.

20 minutes ground driving Rocko today.
10 minutes driving Rocko hitched today
(Notes on Your drive day.)

Thursday October 1st
Ground drove Rebel 30
Ground drove Fancy 30 minutes

Fancy is finally understanding Verbal cues! I still need to work on her stop though, especially at the trot. After she eventually stops from trotting she likes to turn towards me >.> anyone have any tips for that?
Right now Fancy is just ground driving in her halter with lines on both side. I am currently working on getting her used to the bridle and bit!

Ground drove Rebel and Fancy for about an hour each today! They were both great. I worked on going different places today as well as speed transitions

Drove them both in the small indoor arena, the large outdoor arena, and we even took a trip down the road for the first time! Neither one of them spooked :) I canā€™t wait to see them as driving horses in the future!

Stripe, does she always turn one way when you stop? If so, think ahead and take a little more hold on the opposite rein a stride before you ask for halt to catch her before she turns. Teaching a "stop stand" command on the lead line can help with this too.

Thursday October 1st
Ground drove Rebel 30
Ground drove Fancy 30 minutes

Fancy is finally understanding Verbal cues! I still need to work on her stop though, especially at the trot. After she eventually stops from trotting she likes to turn towards me >.> anyone have any tips for that?
Right now Fancy is just ground driving in her halter with lines on both side. I am currently working on getting her used to the bridle and bit!
Hi,
Not sure if you mean the horse is just looking back at you with it's head or turning his body around. With a horse new to ground driving (that turns their body around to face me) I usually run the reins through the lowest ring if I am using a surcingle or through the tugs if I have the harness saddle on. This way when they turn I can use the reins around their back end to prevent them from turning and they usually catch on really quick.

30 minutes driving Annie today.

She got over an hour driving but I shared drive time with my buddy. After she trotted Annie for a while she kept her at a walk and I walked along side and we chatted the whole time so I got in some good exercise today. ā˜ŗ

My husband and I went driving Saturday for a few hours. We hadn't been out at all in August due to the heat. Where we live, there are very few people who drive. Someone took our Peanut's (real name Dynamite - don't like it) picture, we got thumbs up and we had someone stop to look at him. It was a good drive. I do have a question though. He whinnied a lot on the way out and a couple of times on the way back. Since we are relatively new drivers, is that acceptable behavior and if not, what do we do about it.

Not many drive where we are either. It's like we are our own parade when we go out.
It's totally acceptable at this point. Even my quiet and confident drivers will call out once and a while to see if anyone will answer them. It's just nerves. I honestly don't know how people take to horses calling at shows since I've never been. I imagine some will think me and my horse unrefined and others will think "been there!". Happy driving!!!

That is a fancy spreadsheet! You are so smart, majorclementine! Nice you got to enjoy a drive.
I can't believe I'm taking so long to get well. On a walk with the horses yesterday I had to sit down in the middle of the road to rest! What a disgusting waste of beautiful fall driving weather.

Latest posts

Back