Drive Me Buggy 2020 Hours

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been driving Jessica each day for the past three days for about a half hour each (Totaling 1 1/2 hours)

I’ve started Jessica’s Daughter, Rebel in harness as well! Today was the first day I tried ground driving with her, and she caught onto it super quickly. I ground drove her for 20 minutes

He's adorable. Is he black, or close to it? Or bay? Will you drive him?

I think he’s going to end up being dark bay. He is mostly black at the moment with hues of brown here and there. At the moment he looks like a black/brown Brillo pad :p he has very wiry fluff! I’d love to drive him some day when he gets older. At the moment we’re working on halter breaking. Another lady at the barn has been working with him too as she and I are the only ones with the patience to work with the little stinker.

65 minutes for Little Joe today :D I’m hoping to actually hook him tomorrow or Monday, but for today I was happy to get so much ground driving in!

I forgot to post my time for driving yesterday! We did 90 minutes of driving and went 5 miles. It was a lot of climbing and this time Zorro pulled me up some of the steepest hills! I only got out and walked one that is very steep and very long. I don't want to hurt him. It took so long because I was trying to tweak the balance on my Hyperbike as well as move where Zorro is in the shafts. The shafts we have are still a bit too long for Zorro (and they are custom shafts!) so the shaft stops on the shafts tend to jam into the shaft loops which causes the entire saddle to tip and slide forward when we go down steep hills. We go down so many steep hills that it was really starting to bother me. Plus it means that I can't have my saddle back where I want it, on the flattest part of his back. I'm not sure I have it all figured out. I may need to haul my bike to my friend's house and have him remove the shaft stops and shorten the shafts a bit more for me. And move my footmans loops...

!5 minutes (15) driving Cappy for me after Dan drove him for 10.

Can my husband log his minutes with us? Seperately from mine? He doesn't post here but knows everybody through me and keeps asking me if we count his hours too. If not, that's fine. No worries :).

20 min driving Wally
20 min driving Blue. Found out he works off voice commands. Very cool.

Voice commands are awesome. Did you teach him those?
Peanut know "whoa", " back", and the word "tight" for sharp turns. "Walk" and "Trot" are not in his vocabulary.
Cappy knows "Trot" and maybe "Back" depending on his mood. Funny what words they pick up and those they choose to ignore.

!5 minutes (15) driving Cappy for me after Dan drove him for 10.

Can my husband log his minutes with us? Seperately from mine? He doesn't post here but knows everybody through me and keeps asking me if we count his hours too. If not, that's fine. No worries :).

Of course he can log hours here! Do you want me to go back and add up the time you said he drives or do you want to give me times??

All caught up on logging everyone's hours :)

I didn't teach him the voice commands. He knows Whoa, walk, walk-on, and back. I'm going to see if he knows gee and haw tomorrow. But boy, when I said "Blue, Walk" he slammed down to a walk in a single stride before I even touched the lines. So I tried it again going down a slight hill and he sat into the breeching and slowed to a walk again in a single stride. I was blown away!

Henry was in a better mood yesterday and he was willing to let his momma have a training session...we managed 20 minutes of ground driving. I think that she’s going to make a better riding pony for the kiddos at the barn than driving pony for me. I’m going to keep working with her though to see. She always looks content when carrying kids around and miserable when driving. We’ll see if that changes as her post pregnancy hormones change. Her owners would appreciate if she could do both but understand if she’s not cut out to drive.

MajorClem—what a nice discovery! I love when they work off of voice commands! I’ve never driven one that’s quite that level of responsive, but Coady is very good with them and Joey is learning well. I’d rather use more voice commands and less rein cues. For some reason it makes me feel like we’re working more as a team :)

Mindy—balancing was the challenge that I had with my Hyperbike. I could never get it quite right. The shafts would balance nicely at a walk on flat ground, but hills and trotting were always a bit wonky. I do wish I still had it though...if I had a set of A shafts the bike would be perfect for a heavier lady such as myself to drive a 29” mini like Little Joe. His owners have a light EE though (around the 85lb mark if I had to guess) which he does well with so I guess we’ll work with that. I’m just grateful to have him to drive! I was thinking of going and test driving a few minis, but the two I’m looking at are at a farm that’s about an hour and a half away and between the pandemic and pandemonium I think I’d rather stay close to home :confused:

Henry was in a better mood yesterday and he was willing to let his momma have a training session...we managed 20 minutes of ground driving. I think that she’s going to make a better riding pony for the kiddos at the barn than driving pony for me. I’m going to keep working with her though to see. She always looks content when carrying kids around and miserable when driving. We’ll see if that changes as her post pregnancy hormones change. Her owners would appreciate if she could do both but understand if she’s not cut out to drive.

I had a horse a couple of years ago that much preferred being ridden to being driven. I don't know if it was having something behind him, or if his early life experiences included being ridden. I passed him on to someone who needed a nice horse for children to ride.

25 min ground driving Wally. He's got a stiff stifle it turns out. I'm going to work him daily and stretch his legs twice a day and see if that helps. He was started young and his tendons seem tight. I'll put him on the magnesium as well. We'll see if he's improved in a week or two.
20 min ground driving Clem. was going to hitch her but hubby had work so no one to be on baby duty. I'm going to get up earlier tomorrow and take her out.

MajorClem, I'll go back and count Dan's time. It won't be alot but I wanted to include him because he helps me so much. I would not be able to drive without him. Thanks!

ETA: I went back and he has about 35 minutes :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back