Dressage Scribe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy2m

Reaction score
I have my second ADT this weekend and I volunteered to do what ever they needed, they have asked me to scribe the dressage after I'm done with my stuff. I've never done it before. Is there anything I need to know that will help me do a good job? Kathy

Good idea to be familiar with the tests, the judge will tell you a comment and a score...sometimes have to write quick! It is interesting though and a great learning oportunity.

It is a great way to learn, but you do need to listen well and write quick. The score is usually easy, but the comments are harder. Some kind of shorthand that the rider/driver will understand is handy. Like a circle instead of the word circle, CL for center line, etc. Make sure that the judge gives you a score for each movement in the test. Look at as many tests as you can before hand to see what other scribes have written. Have a spare writing implement handy, just in case.

WRITE NEATLY!!!!! I use to event and there is NOTHING worse then getting a test back with a bunch of scratch I can't read. I would rather have one clear and helpful comment then 6 squeezed in that I have to guess on what it says.

Eventers and Dressage riders are smart
default_smile.png
We can figure out abbreviations and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck this weekend!! Im plan to come watch u. 10am is when u are starting right? I hope to enter the one on dec but thought I needed to go watch 1 first at least.

Yes Jen Dressage at 10 and then straight to cones. I think Sundays time is 9 I have to double check. Kathy

Scribing is fun and fairly easy. I've scribed many times at dressage show's and events (riding not driving trials). I would recommend taking a couple of mechanical pencils. that way you have a sharp pencil at all times. Dull pencils can be hard to write small with. you will need to write fast and learn to abbreviate. As matt said try to write as neatly as possible even though i know it can be difficult (this is only coming from the riders perspective).

Another tip is to find out what conditions you will be working in. If you feel its going to be hot dress appropriately if your going to be indoor or in the shade take a sweater or something. I've made the mistake of thinking it was hot outside but was inside the indoor and was FREEZING while scribing. it was no fun. take various peices of clothing to anticipate issues such as that.

you will learn so much frm scribing. I think that scribing is one of the best learning opportunities for anyone interested in more indepth learning of dressage ect. you will get a first hand perspective of what the judge is seeing as well as her comments on it. You will need to learn to be able to write fast to be able to watch also..LOL

Latest posts

Back