Dressage help, on the bit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GwynethYogi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for help with getting my mini more on the bit. Currently he goes just above the bit, occasionally going on the bit. What excercises are good for getting more collection and getting him on the bit? His current bit is a half spoon mullen mouth, a friend of mine suggested getting a bit with more tounge relief, would that be benificial?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have time for a more thorough, carefully thought out answer today, but the most effective exercise I use to help my horse's learn to collect themselves is transitions. I might ask for a walk, then an trot on into an extended trot and back down into a walk, a whoa to a trot or any combination that makes them use themselves to accomplish it. Half halts can help if you know how to do them but if not you may confuse your horse IMO. Another, often overlooked, way to help a horse be 'on the bit' (which really just means they are propelling themselves forward with their hind quarters to me) is to really work at getting a good strong walk. No ambling along, I want my horses to really walk out like they have somewhere to be. I firmly believe that a great walk affects every other gait in a positive way but it can take years with some horses to get a consistently good walk.

Another, often overlooked, way to help a horse be 'on the bit' (which really just means they are propelling themselves forward with their hind quarters to me) is to really work at getting a good strong walk. No ambling along, I want my horses to really walk out like they have somewhere to be. I firmly believe that a great walk affects every other gait in a positive way but it can take years with some horses to get a consistently good walk.
Coming from a big horse background in Dressage, I agree with this 100%!! Spanky and I were working on this same thing in the round pen. I stay on his hip and encourage him to walk BIGGER not FASTER. I frequently count the number of strides per panel, as I want him to be moving at the same speed and be taking fewer strides. Takes a little finesse when I'm working him with no halter or lines! :)

As far as changing tack, I don't change anything if I'm not having issues. Is he working well and quietly in his current tack?

A few other questions. How old is your horse? How long has he been in training? How long has he been driving? An inexperienced horse may just not have progressed into the self-carriage/on the bit yet. I religiously read my Dressage Today magazine when it comes, even though I only have the one mini. The Dressage training pyramid can easily be modified and used for any discipline or size of equine. With it's structured progression you'll find your guy naturally progressing to working on the bit as he becomes stronger.

Hope this helps in addition to what reignmaker said!

P.s....we like piccies!! ;-)

Thanks everyone, I'll try working on transitions and encouraging a bigger walk.

Dragons Wish Farm, my mini is 6 years old and he has been driving for about 3 years. He has been in heavy marathon training since March. He is fine in his current bit and never fusses.

When I say I would like to get him "on the bit" I mean what his head carriage is like. Prehaps that is not the right term? Is "on the vertical" more appropriate? Will creating better impulsion and engaging the hind end naturally create a more on the vertical head carriage?

Here is a picture I found on the internet that describes what I am talking about:

IMG_7263corr.jpg

Here is a picture of how my mini goes:

P1020042.JPG

I agree w/ both above posts.

Your horse is moving beautifully but you don't have any contact. If that's how he holds his head and drives forward on a loose rein, then it shouldn't be hard to get the movement you want when you ask for collection and extension. You may lose it for a while when you first start driving on contact, though.

Also, you may not get the same vertical positioning w/ your horse's head - your horse ties in different at both the shoulder (down lower) and at the throat (not the same hinge). So you may never get exactly that same level of vertical simply because your horse may not be able to achieve it comfortably.

LOOKKK!!! I didn't write a book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paula is right on all counts. I have to say I was startled when I saw the first picture as I thought it was your horse and I couldn't see where he needed much improvement in his frame.

Yes, if you get more impulsion you can get what you describe as more 'on the vertical' but if you don't maintain contact all that energy he creates will be lost and his frame will not improve. I don't know if the picture was a look a how you usually drive or if it just caught a lax moment but contact is important. If you look at your example picture you can see the driver has a firm contact with the horses mouth. He needs the contact to 'hear' the rein cues clearly and even a green horse requires the contact to feel secure in the driver's control. The blinders on the headstall narrow a horses field of vision greatly and not having contact is like asking them to walk in complete darkness with a laser pointer for light to guide them. They are just not going to look as pretty if they can't trust that the driver is confidant in where they want to go and how they want to get there.

I want to add, your horse looks very nice and you should be pleased and proud that he does so well.

edited to add also - Paula, I enjoy you short novels
default_wink.png
they are very informative.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm following this thread with great interest as I originally got involved with minis after reading an article in Dressage Today about a gal who was using her mini for driven dressage. I was recuperating from a total knee replacement and chose to pursue driving instead of returning to riding. I do not have a background in dressage but have always been interested in it and applying the foundation to any type of horse. So where to begin with an out of shape mini who needs conditioning and a very willing owner who wants to learn more? I come from a western discipline background having owned and shown QHs for many years primarily in pleasure, trail and some working cow horse events.

Latest posts

Back