Dreamers post surgery/impaction update #3

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
She has been thru sooooooooooooooooooooo much, it is finally taken a toll on her. She was not up very long the 2 days we were there. She has lost weight (to be expected) and she is losing her spirt. She is very close to going into ICU. She still has not passed the impaction, some but not enough. She is rehydrated but very weak. By the time we left I was in tears. Poor Art don't know what to do with me. The vet is optimistic on her recovery, but this has taken a toll on her. She will be there for awhile. I just can't stand seeing her like this, it is eating at my soul. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT giving up on her. I will push her till she can not go any farther. Here is a video and a few pics....

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6315.jpg

IMG_6319.jpg

IMG_6321.jpg

I don't know if the video will work...

Prayers for Dreamer. Dear Lord please give this little horse strength and will to live. Please please Lord touch her with your loving healing hand. Dreamer girl don't give up, your such a fighter. Theresa keep the faith that your sweet girl will get through this.

God please bless Dreamer with good health.

XXXXXX Hugs to you TheresaXXXX

Mary

Aww that poor baby. That's quite an incision she has there. Prayers coming that she's able to bounce back and continue fight these things that are going so wrong for her right now. Please keep your chin up....she's still with you and that's saying quite alot after all she's been through. She's a fighter. She'll make it!!!

That brought tears to me again. I'm so sorry for all Momma and you have been through. I feel so helpless to help! I'll keep praying and I'm here if you need me. You know that.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Bless Dreamer......and Bless your hearts for everything you and Dreamer have gone through.

I pray she pushes through this........

Please God hold Dreamer in your hands and help her through this setback she needs you now to give her back her spirit. Bless Theresa and Art and give them the courage they need to get through this new hurdle. Please God they all deserve for a GOOD turn around. Sending prayers and love to all of you.

I couldn't stand to watch the video anymore you guys are just so sad.......

Nobody could love a horse as much as you love Dreamer.

Dear Theresa

Like many hundreds of other people I have been watching Dreamer's progress and delighting in her recovery. And now, I, like them, have been so saddened to hear of her struggles with an impaction. I know that she has the best of care at the clinic and I believe that if they can keep her well hydrated she should have an excellent chance for a full recovery.

Four years ago I had a yearling colt that became severely impacted. We called the vet immediately and tried every known method and medication to resolve the impaction. He was on pain meds for 5 days and on IV drips for most of that time. At that time the surgery fees we were quoted for this type of operation were prohibitive so we were doing everything short of surgery to help him. Our vet worked with us day and night to keep him comfortable and see if he couldn't come out of it on his own. Everyday was a heartbreak. Every morning when the vet would come out, he would leave saying that the colt had maybe a twenty percent chance of being alive the next morning, the next day it was a ten percent chance, then a 5 percent chance. The last night, we slept in his stall, holding him throughout the night. He totally amazed us and our vet by standing and waiting for us that next morning! This little colt's strong will to live and our constant care kept him going.

Long story short, as he wouldn't give up, we couldn't give up. We took out a loan to have his surgery done. Our vet called and made arrangements for us at UC Davis. I drove to Davis as fast as I could while my husband rode with him in the trailer, calming him and helping him to stand. When we arrived, they hurried to do all the usual pre-op tests and x-rays and ushered him into surgery. We waited on pins & needles . . . once they opened him up, they decided to try to massage the impaction through the intestines and see if they couldn't eliminate any additional surgery. They told us the only reason they were able to do this was because we had kept him so well hydrated. None of the intestines either following or before the impaction, adhered (stuck) to themselves and consequently they did not have to do any bowel resections. Therefore he only ended up having that one single incision which made the surgery and recovery so much easier . . . so Theresa what I am trying to say is, if they can continue to keep Dreamer well hydrated and need or decide to do an abdominal surgery, perhaps they can massage the impaction out as they did with my colt. Dreamer is strong of spirit, and your spending time with her at the clinic assures her, gives her confidence, and gives her time to regroup. She can feel your love, and that gives her courage. Be strong . . . and keep her well hydrated!

We will continue to pray for all of you.

Best,

Lee

Poor little girl!!!

I hope she will get better verry soon!!!

I'm sending all my prayers to you!!

Don't give up little girl!!

Again I thank you for allowing us all to share in this long fight for Dreamer, and for the pictures and the video. My prayers and hopes that you and she will be able to take this fight all the way through to a happy ending.

Again I add that I seriously feel that Dreamer needs you to be with her as much as you possibly can. She needs your strength now more than ever to help her over this last hurdle.

Love and hugs to all of you.

Anna

Please God, bless this little mare who is fighting so hard to live and bless her owners who love her so much. Dreamer, keep fighting. You have so much love surrounding you and so many prayers for your recovery.

Theresa, that video sent me over the edge. So sad - the love is there for all to see. I hope you'll be able to go back to see Dreamer soon as I think she needs you and Art as much as possible.

God bless! Hoping for a better update later today.

Barbie

AWWW, Please get well Dreamer! We are all praying and routing for you!

Love,

Robin

With the love of her family and her strong will to live Dreamer can do this. I just know she can. She is in the best hands. Theresa and Art you both know that I continue to pray for Dreamer each day. I will do this until she is home running around the pasture, however long that takes. HUGS to both of you. Keep strong my friends. Dreamer can do this. She is a fighter and she is going to show us all how she can pull through.

Keeping you all close in thought and prayer.

I couldn't stand to watch the video anymore you guys are just so sad.......

Nobody could love a horse as much as you love Dreamer.
And Barbie....

I did not want the video to make anyone sad.
default_no.gif
.. I wanted you to see for yourselves how she is doing and how she trusts us to make her well and keep her safe. I am sorry that it up set you. Maybe I should remove it.. Thank you to all who have supported her...Much love and respect ..Theresa

Please do not remove the video, it just show how much Love there is betwen your Family, You and Dreamer, Sure it is sad but that is the card life deals uis somedays, Dreamer has my Prayers for a complete recovery and Hugs for You and Art to make you strong threw this whole ordeal.

Hugs and Love

Jan

Theresa, don't feel that you need to remove the video. It is a testiment to the bond you have with Dreamer.

So many of us have been in frighteningly serious situations. We understand....

All of our messages on the forum, with our trials, tribulations, joys and successes with these horses show our dedication to these animals in good times AND in bad.

Your love and total dedication to Dreamer is admirable.

A little while back there was a post about how frightening and sad that there were so many foalings with not good outcomes, and it was mentioned that these sad postings were actually few in the total horse breeding world.

It may be true, we, the forum are only a few in the total horse owning/breeding world... but people, especially NEWBIES need to see that there is SOOOOO MUCH MORE to owning a mini or any animal for that matter. It is so much more than throwing hay in a stall twice a day and putting a stallion in with a mare and making babies. It is NOT always easy or fun for while there is much joy, there can be extreme sadness and pain too. We live in a sadly "DISPOSABLE " society, and these posts show that our forum members do NOT feel that way!

It takes love, dedication 24 hours a day in good times and in bad. There is no staying warm and cozy in the house during a blizzard when you have horses or animals out there in the terrible weather that need us to feed, water ,hay, warm them or foal them out.

My Mom used to say "There is no such thing as being only a fair weather cowboy" and out we would go to care for the horses.

THIS TAKES TOTAL COMMITMENT by us humans. We owe these animals. We are the ones that choose to breed them, possibly risking their lives at times. We purchase animals that ask for nothing and are willing to accept very little, but we owe them more than only a little, we owe them as good and happy a life as we can possibly give them.

It takes giving so much of yourself and giving up things that you want and need in order to make ends meet for the horses.

Well, golly where was I going when I started this tirade?

I just wanted to say that we your forum family,understand that being a breeder or horse/or pet owner is not always fun and easy, and while sometimes news makes us sad, that we are willing to share the good and the bad with you. And that its good for newbies to see how MUCH dedication it takes to do what we... what YOU are doing.

I pray for a good outcome for Dreamer every day. I believe that things will have a good ending in this, whichever way things go, I would say that you have done your duty by Dreamer and have tried as hard as any one possibly could.

Thank you for sharing this difficult time with us. We all stand by your side. I wish I was closer to help.

Robin

Latest posts

Back