Dream Harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My husband is going to build a harness for my minis and asked me what I wanted. He's only done draft horse harness work so he's got the leather working skills but has not made harness for minis before. I've had off-the-shelf harness and not been completely happy with fit or finish for something I could afford in years past and am not sure exactly what I'd like him to create for me. Other than for it to be super comfortable for my geldings and soft, almost bridle type leather that feels good in the hands, maybe a "V" type breast collar that doesn't hinder shoulder movement and brass fittings, I'm not sure what to ask him to include. I'd be using it for for pleasure/training, rather than for showing right now.

What would you like most in a harness if you could build it yourself and incorporate all you'd like to see in one harness? Would love any and all opinions about what features would be best for an "A" sized mini before he makes it. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Shirley Henry

If you are going to do trail driving I would recommend a sliding back band. I agree with doing the V style breast collar it makes a huge difference for my pony. I would opt for a quick release set up as well if possible.
default_smile.png

I think that's a tall order, making the perfect harness!

I don't get around to many driving events or know many people who drive. So there are a lot of things about harnesses that I've heard of but never seen.

I've heard of a sliding back band, but do not know what that is. ??

And I know we discusses quick release a couple of years ago, but I can't remember how it works.??

I would love a refresher course on a few harness things !

I have not had experience with a sliding back band/saddle either - but know that it is used in Marathon harness a lot.

Maybe best if you take a look at the harness if various places (online/paper catalogs) and look to see what you'd like first... Personally, even though it can be a PITA, I love the collars/hames and if he could make a pleasure/buggy style harness w/ collar/hames that's what I'd do... That type is "in-between" a draft horse style(work type) and a pleasure or show type...

Otherwise a good start IS the shaped/v'd breast collar.

Heavier straps than a show harness. Wider breeching (if can do with an "A" sized mini - that's a really small driving horse). 2 straps for the breeching, not just one - to support it.

Interchangeable blinkers/open bridle.

Maybe you should message Susan of ArizonaMinis. She's recently built all of her own pairs harness (work type, draft w/ collars/hames and now with Scotch housings) from leather - and she may be able to detail or tell you more about her experiences. Not sure if it would help or not, since it's a different type of harness. At one time, she was sharing her "trip" thru building this pairs harness, but then only continued on the RED (yahoo groups) list. I do know that she showed her pair in this harness and is now embarking on building a 2nd pair set for her 4 up hitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to suggest something here that many readers will not agree with, but bear with me please. Whereever psoosible we use conway buckles on our harness. Yes, conway buckles. They are a PITA to adjust, but if you put them where you don't need to adjust them, they are the absolute safest thing you canuse. All our harnesses have conways on the breast collar straps and the breeching straps. With conventional buckles, you WILL have strap ends hanging out, and you WILL get your lines caught under them. With conway buckles, you WILL have a SAFE buckle that cannot catch your lines and its not a question of will they get caught, it a question of when. Your first question and highest priority has to be safety. Of course anywhere you have a buckle that needs to be handles frequently, use conventional buckles, like your holdback straps, lines, etc. Always use roller buckles. A little more money, but savings in the long run as you won't wear your leather as much. Also, buckle in line ends. No snaps on the bit. Every time you move the lines, a buckle on the bit transmits that metal to metal impact to your horses mouth. How would you like it?

Bottom line for me is always safety, followed by comfort for the horse. A happy horse performs better and a comfortable horse is happier. Good Luck on your quest. When you find it, you can go on to easier things like an honest politician!

One thing I like on a mini harness is the space between the holes to be smaller, when adjusting the harness a lot of times you need it to be just a 1/2 hole cause 1 full hole is to much of an adjustment.

Latest posts

Back