Drainage Problem in Run-In Shed...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniWrangler

Reaction score
Hello everyone, it has been a while since the last time I posted, been doing a lot of lurking lately. I was just out in this lovely (
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) weather on poop patrol, and we've got water standing in the run-in. It's not like completely flooded but I think it definately needs to be fixed. I'm wondering if some pea-gravel inside and around the front might help? Is there any reason NOT to use gravel?

I would appreciate any ideas you have about fixing this :saludando:

Not knowing exactly your situation.....off the top of my head I would suggest a gutter for any nearby roof, and a drainage ditch.

MA

I would vote for the rain gutter and drain spout... and maybe bring in some regular dirt to raise up the interior a bit. I know a few people here who have hauled in granite or whatnot to their horse pens, and lost horses due to colic from it, as they nose through it and ingest some of it.

I don't know why the gutter idea didn't occur to me before....duuh :lol: I like that much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not expert but my husband just built me a barn and we used 3/4 inch rock/stone (about 6 inches of it spread out) covered with stone dust (which would be about another 6 inches) and it worked extremely well, I think if you use dirt it'll get mushy, also the gutter idea is a good one
default_smile.png

Champ

good gutters

french drains

the ground should slope downhill from the shed

raised bed inside, first with dirt, then with hog fuel (big chips of wood) that don't immediately disappear in to the dirt.

We use wood stove pellets/Woody Pet type bedding, and we put the old, wet sawdust on our pathway from gate to barn, which is horribly muddy. I learned from using manure and some of the bedding in my garden that this stuff loosens up the clay and creates excellent drainage.

Also, remember that your horses will track in an amazing amount of mud and water, so I would extend the hog fuel well out beyond the door.

In one of our run-ins we have 14 yards of what is called reclaim in our neck of the woods: It is recycled road asphalt mixed with gravel. It packs great and drains wonderfully. We also have floor mats on top of the packed reclaim and the run in sits on top. It has worked great for us even in the 8 inches of rain we have had in the last month.

:saludando:

If you have standing water, that means that you have to fix the ground where the problem originates first which means ditching and sloping.

Then gravel is a good choice but not pea gravel. Pea gravel will just sink in the mud and get mashed down and disappear on you. Use 1 inch. We have it everywhere and also we use 2" gravels for super bad areas or areas that we drive the truck on. Then add your gutters.

DantractorA.jpg

Latest posts

Back