Draft type miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woweee...and i thought i was the only one who had thick stocky minis comparing to everyone elses refined ones.!!! ive always had chunky built minis..i thought some of mine were just wierd and old type pony style ones..i had no idea there was a draft mini...some of my mini mares are built huge and dont have that neck sought for in the ring...this is a good thing

2012-07-17 15.17.41.jpg

2012-07-18 14.07.14.jpg

My husband had a miniature draft team he retired a couple years ago. He is still going to drive draft hitch; but we have been trying to get a couple clarifications on the new rulebook for draft driving. We contact the registry (email) about these questions a month ago and no answer. One: does the wagon have to be a TRUE parade type draft style hitch wagon? Those things are $$$$ even for miniatures- at least $5,000 new and the cheapest we've come across used was $3,000. We don't have that budget. 2). Does the wagon have to be a true 5th wheel or can it be 3/4 or such? and 3) do the hames have to have the balls on top? Our that he used for years, don't have balls, just little "caps"? Anyone? Lewella?
Are the hames full draft hames? I've seen some big horse draft show hames with decorative tops as opposed to balls - is that what yours are? I would think that hames that extend above the height of the collar in draft style should be appropriate (interestingly the hames pictured in the rule book are not draft show type hames but are draft farm type hames).

The rule is that preferrence will be given to the 5th wheel vehicle, what that means is that all things considered and all things equal the judge should choose the entry with the 5th wheel over the one without - of course we all know the chances of all things being equal between two entires is unlikely. The current rule book has photos of two examples of vehicles, one more elaborate and one more simple in design. If I remember correctly from when the rules were presented to the board the draft committee wanted freight type wagons, not buckboards, not covered wagons, etc.

Here's mine. His mama is too.
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

gallery_10188_130_1019216.jpg

Let me tell you - these "Draft Mini" style people are SERIOUS ...

307137_293506504017564_1408986995_n.jpg
WOW!!!! Now, that is a miniature Draft Horse. I am a HUGE draft fan. I LOVE that look. I wish mine had that much feather on their feet. Amazing.

Great looking horses.
default_smile.png

Thanks Knottymare! I am pround of my little guys. If anyone knows of any like him forsale, marked similar to him between 30 & 32 inches. I am looking to add two more to my hitch.

Oh man, I just found this thread. I'm really excited to hear about this!! Back in 2008, I showed my mini one summer and having a draft horse background, dressed him up at one of the local shows in a typical "Belgian" style show harness (although no braiding). In fact, I ordered it from the links posted here previously, and had to send it back to make sure it was the traditional style (gelding/stallion) and not the mare style. It looks a bit big on my horse, but boy was I excited to get one. We got some weird looks at the show back then.

100_2351.JPG

100_2356.JPG

DSC00888.JPG

100_2342.JPG

100_2504.JPG

I always thought he looked good in white.

I hope the Draft classes went well at Nationals.

I hope the Draft classes went well at Nationals.
Overall the quality was good and I thought IMO for short notice and the requirements that you had to drive in a draft class I thought it was a good turn out. There were 8 geldings, 4 mares, and 2 stallions, they divided them up by sex and not by height. I also felt that for the most part the judges judged it right. All 3 National Champions were gorgeous. IMO I would love to see a Grand and Reserve Grand Champion Draft Halter horses and have the first 2 winners come back in and compete from each sex and just have one big championship class.

I enjoyed it, I enjoyed getting to show my boy in halter cause IMO he is not that bad looking, he just doesn't fit the type they like in a halter class. So I am planning to go in it next year and I know several others are looking forward to next year as well. So not only is this class growing but you will see greater interest in draft driving as well. I think if the committee carefully thinks this class thru, make it become a rated class I really think you will see a lot of interest.

230421_3743514874458_1642805740_n.jpg

545530_3743515314469_95317318_n.jpg

JMS`~ I love your draft style miniature horse he is so cute
default_smile.png
default_yes.gif

JMS... Your above photos are wonderful!!! I'd love to see someone make scaled down mane flowers... So you could fit the traditional "seven for a halter horse, five with a collar on" thing...

Thanks disneyhorse. They were selling some that were scaled down at Nationals but I already had these but will probably look into it. Also another problem I had is most drafts don't have such long bridle paths and his was already too long to grow back for Nationals but hopefully it will look better for next year.

Just found this thread! I broke a four for a friend and this was their first outing at a show..I did not roll the manes or braid the tails as I was more worried about getting them in and out in one piece lol. Had a friend very experienced at driving a 4 up drive them. FUN fun

mini.jpg

Latest posts

Back