Double K Clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayflowerfarm

Reaction score
I need help! =)

I have always clipped my minis with my Clipmasters and Wahls. I also clip my friend's minis and as a nice gesture, she bought Double K's to have at her place for me since everyone in the mini world recommended them. However, I cannot clip with them! =) What is the secret to body clipping with these things? I can do their legs and face fine but their bodies look like a 2 year old did it! LOL Any helpful suggestions?

Also, my clippers are getting old and I am trying to be prepared for when they die - any suggestions on clippers other than Double K's? The Laube's sound nice but I don't know anyone that has them.

Thanks!

Was something wrong with the blades or where they dull? I've not had any problem getting a smooth body clip out of my Double K's.

I won a video from a L'il Beginnings contest that outlines clipping and bathing etc.

The lady uses Double K's and her clip job is perfect.

The video was donated by Ozark Mountain for the prize and it is a good "aide" for you.

I have Double K's and do a "so, so job" however with the help of the video I will do better now.

She used short strokes and is barely lifting the clipper head at the end of her forward motion...hard to explain but I sure was not using the same technique before viewing the video.

Ensuring that the horse is super clean is very important too.

the horses are always freshly bathed and either use new clipper blades or freshly sharpened.

I'll try the shorter stroke technique - it can't hurt at this point! LOL

anymore suggestions are very much appreciated!

I think the Double K's are the only way to go. They have so much more power than other clippers I have used. I also like the Laube clipper blades much better with them.

I also wash, condition and showsheen my horses before I clip and the clippers glide through the hair easier. One thing I like with the Double Ks is that you can clip a wet horse and do a good job.

we have 3 sets of them-- absolutley love them-- also have the head that does the hoof polishing as well.

To get a nice body clip -- you go with the way the hair grows-- follow the "grain" -- keep the clipper flat-- do not lift up the heel of the blade or the head will dig down & leave marks.

Keeping the head "flat" on the body was the hardest thing for me to master-- you will love them once you get it figured out. Good luck

The little black leaver inside that holds the blade needs to be changed often or you will get a poor clip job. No one seems to tell anyone this and the leavers are hard to find, stores do not carry them. The blade will clip if the leaver is worn, but you will get all kinds of lines.

I have always clipped mine going against the hair growth. I will go with the growth patttern if I am wanting to clip for cooling comfort, but leave enough hair for fly protection.

What speed do you have them set on? I heard the higher the speed the less marks you will leave behind. I toyed around with it and i always do bodys with the clippers on high. It normally takes me about two hours to do a full body clip on an adult horse/shetland, i leave behind no lines ..guess it is the perfectionist in me. The blades will get hot faster on high but just make sure you have a couple sets of blades to switch in and out as you go.

I love my Double K's, i have an older set but am ordering a new pair after Nationals.

To get a nice body clip -- you go with the way the hair grows-- follow the "grain" -- keep the clipper flat-- do not lift up the heel of the blade or the head will dig down & leave marks.

Keeping the head "flat" on the body was the hardest thing for me to master-- you will love them once you get it figured out. Good luck
The lady on the video that I viewed was going "against" the grain, and also mentioned that. She was also keeping the head flat with short strokes and pressed against the body.

For instance at the back leg where the hair grows together in the crease of the leg and body she had to reverse in order to ALWAYS go against the grain.

I have clipped following the hair growth when I just wanted to make the horse cooler but not for a show.

That being said, your horses Amy, are always beautifully turned out for the shows, and a much better job than I do
default_yes.gif

Yay, my Double K's came today!!!!! I give them 2 thumbs up!

I had a clipping party and did Annie and Lacey-- rough body clips but was done in an amazing (to me) 1-1/2 hours!!!! And Annie especially was a woolly buffalo; my Kim Laube clippers choked trying to clip her last weekend, so i gave up and went for the good ones.

Two things worth mentioning for anyone looking into these:

- Bought them from Double Diamond Tack, and Tracy there has been fantastic to work with on this and the earlier show halter/misc. purchases I've made through them.

- I clipped the horses damp like Jill had said she does, and it worked so much better for me than any other clipping I've done before!
default_aktion033.gif
The clippers do get pretty hot on high speeds, like Leanna said, but I think next time I will hose them down again if they start to get too dry.

One note (sounds obvious but I didn't know!), keep your blades meticulously clean as you go; at first they started to hang up after a few swipes on Annie's back....I looked closer and the blade had built up dirt already. Apparently I missed a bunch of dirt on top of her back end :DOH!

It's the gray and the dun mares that were clipped today; they had not shed out since we have had such odd weather this year.

3amigas.jpg

ok -- Genie -- I don't think I described it right -- I push against the hair BUT am following the way the hair grows-- turning here & there -- I don't always say what I mean clearly. THanks!! -- I really like to clip -- but have not done any this season .I had such a bad time with my kness - was on crutches for awhile & now have a brace - so no clipping fo rme this season -- thank goodness John has Joe to help.

Bought them from Double Diamond Tack, and Tracy there has been fantastic to work with on this and the earlier show halter/misc. purchases I've made through them.
I'll second that!

I have access to a set of Double K's and I bought a Laube set last year, the Laube's are stronger clippers and run faster 10000 strokes a minute vs the 4000-4500 of the Double K's, however the blades get hot, but I solve that by clipping the horse wet. The Laube Mini Lazor's are lighter than the Double K's. I have tendonitis is both of my hands I can't hold the big heavy clippers like the clipmasters.

I really don't like the Double K's because I end up fighting the cable and I find it difficult to get into all the little nook and crannies that can be hiding on these little horses.

Yes I clip a wet horse, as do quite a few others, I get a beautiful clip and I don't get all covered in hair. I also over lap my strokes, I found longer strokes work better for me. You have to work out what works best for you.

Karen

Hi Faith

I live in Australia and recently purchased Double K clippers off Double Diamonds website.

I have emailed them to get a price for the frieght but I havent heard from them yet.

I would call them but our phone is not set up for overseas calls.

I was starting to get really nervous about this purchase as I have given my cc details. But after reading your positive comments I feel a bit better. I suppose they are just busy and will hopefully hear back soon.

Cheers

I really don't like the Double K's because I end up fighting the cable and I find it difficult to get into all the little nook and crannies that can be hiding on these little horses.
I never could get past this with my Double K's. That cable drove me nuts. And mine heated up faster then my osters do. I sold them and went back to osters.
default_smile.png

i know what you mean sorta, the double Ks are big the cord is soo bluky but they doo work, maybe somthing is wrong with the motor?

I love my Double K's. I always clip against the hair, and I always lift the heel slightly and add pressure. I never have lines, the horse looks great. My one complaint is that the chord isn't as flexible as I would like, and sometimes the makes it a pain when you are doing the head or you don't have a lot of room to work with. I always bathe first, and clip when the horse is still a little damp.

Latest posts

Back