Double K Clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
Hi

I have a set of Double K clippers and was wondering what maintenance they require.

The last time I clipped my mini horse the clippers seems to get stuck in his coat they left HUGE lines. They work fine for the first 10 mins and clip great then this happens. They also overheat quite quickly

The horse is clean and dry.

I have heard about a lever? needing replacing on this brand sometimes. Is this what it could be. Is the lever something you can replace yourself?

Just wanted some opinions before I send them away to get fixed.

Thankyou

Mine don't get hot.

The lever and the felt pads do need replacement, but I wouldn't think they would clip well for a bit, until they heat up, then slow down and leave lines.

I am not a mechanic but that heating problem after a bit of clipping sounds more like the motor.

They do need grease and oil.

I have also been told not to use the "Cool Lube" product as it can cause problems.

TAhe lever and felt pads can be easily replaced yourself.

My blade sharpening guy gives my clippers a "tune up" every winter when I take a load of blades for sharpening.

Thanks Genie

Will look into the lever and felt pads, thanks

I should say its the blades that get hot quickly not the clipper itself.

If you are clipping on the high speed number the blade will get hot quick. I have two blades and change them as I go. I clip on a low number and they dont get hot . Clean the hair out of the area that you attach the blade at.

We have a margarine container that has the blade cleaning fluid in it near where we clip and dip the blades tips in after we brush off the excess dirt.

If you are clipping a clean, wet horse they should not get hot. If it is dry, I would brush the horse, then vacuum to get him as clean as possible. You will still use more blades on a dry horse then a wet one.

Thanks GenieWill look into the lever and felt pads, thanks

I should say its the blades that get hot quickly not the clipper itself.
Don't forget to put a little oil on the blades as you clip. That helps keep them cool too.

I have Laube's but they are essentially the same. Some ladies that are proffessional clippers told me to keep a can of WD-40 around. Spray them on your blades when you first start. Then when they start to act like they aren't cutting too well, spray them again. Just keep doing this and it keeps them well oiled. They told me the blade cooling sprays actually dull your blades. I took their advice and never had problems clipping since (they have 20+ years under their belt). Plus, you can cool your blades quickly in water becuase all the oil from the WD-40 keeps them from rusting. Thought it was a neat trick.

Also wouldn't hurt to take your clippers in for a little tune up. Something might just need to be tweaked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanksyou for all the suggestions!!!!

I keep them very well oiled during clipping and change the blades out too.

Maybe they do need a service. May try clipping wet next time too

Thanks again everyone
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back