Double dilute question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beccy

Reaction score
I am just curious about something...

I know a double dilute will produce dilutes, but my question is, since they carry two copies of the cream gene, can they pass on both copies and produce double dilute in some of their offspring, without the influence of a second dilute parent, or will the foals be single dilutes only?

Thanks
default_smile.png

They can only pass on one of their genes. The second horse will provide the other half of the color gene.

They only pass (or can correctly say always pass) ONE copy of the cream gene along. Offspring get a color gene from the dam and a color gene from the sire (and modifiers potentially from each). So in order to have a double dilute foal, a copy of the cream gene must have been received from each parent.

Keep in mind, some horses carry it but do not look it visually. Smoky blacks can look as black as the night, some buckskins can look bay... That kind of thing.

Ok thanks, that makes sense
default_smile.png

They only pass (or can correctly say always pass) ONE copy of the cream gene along. Offspring get a color gene from the dam and a color gene from the sire (and modifiers potentially from each). So in order to have a double dilute foal, a copy of the cream gene must have been received from each parent.

Keep in mind, some horses carry it but do not look it visually. Smoky blacks can look as black as the night, some buckskins can look bay... That kind of thing.
Thanks Jill. We have a two year old perlino filly from our Buckeroo grandson (bucksin) and one of our buckskin mares. I was looking at her yesterday and was wondering if it is possible for a double dilute to produce a double dilute, or just singles.

Well, so far the information you have gotten is correct.

A double dilute CAN produce a double-dilute IF it is bred to a horse with a dilute gene. If you breed a double-dilute to a double-dilute, you will 100% of the time get a double-dilute. Now, if bred to a single-dilute such as a buckskin, your double-dilute can only produce one 50% of the time. And it can never produce a double dilute when bred to a horse with no cream gene.

Good luck!

Andrea

Latest posts

Back