Dora (the Explorer)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterCountry

Reaction score
Well I am back out of the horsey club again.

Dora gave us one heck of an adventure. She had been unsettled since her owner left and staring down the driveway all day, hollering. She was getting more and more upset and she was anxious all that night. She kept me up whinnying every five minutes and finally at 5:30 a.m I heard the fence come down. I looked out the window and saw her tearing down the hill and towards the driveway. She turned left (the direction the trailer had left in) and up the ROAD. Needless to say my heart stopped. We live on a well traveled road used for logging and all sorts of other transport and I just knew something bad was going to happen. I woke up everyone in the house and we all tore outside. I grabbed her halter and lead and we all started following her. She was trotting madly up the road, totally ignoring us. She was headed for the hill where no one can see what is coming on the other side. I also heard a car coming from the behind me. I flagged down the driver, coincidentally a lady who owns horses. She drove very slowly about 100 feet from Dora. Then told me to hop in the car so we could get closer to her. When we got beside her, I hopped out and Dora did a U-turn back towards the house. By then hubby had the car and his sister (on foot) beside it, so we managed to box her in. We had forest on both sides so I was freaking out thinking she would turn left or right and disappear into the woods. But somehow I got up close to her and she stopped long enough for me to halter her. I thanked the woman profusely and we all sighed with relief! It took about 25 minutes to catch her, with deer flies, horse flies, mosquitoes and black flies surrounding us.

She tore the fence so bad I couldn't fix it there and then. And she knew there was a weak spot there now and I wouldn't put it past her to try it again. She goes berserk in an enclosed space so I couldn't lock her in the barn. I treid tying her to a tree and she flipped out, rearing. The bugs were driving her crazy so I had to spray her while me and hubby and sister in law battled them unaided. So we waited, walking her around for three hours for her owner to come back and pick her up.

It is actually a good thing because when her owner came Dora reared on the lead, neighing over and over in excitement. Her owner gave her proper heck and tied her in the trailer. She then reared and got her hoof caught in the side slats, while standing on two legs. I am thinking holy God I am going to watch this mare snap her leg in front of me. Thank goodness she managed to dislodge it a few seconds later. She was completely spun and I am thinking that having her picked up was actually good if she was really this unsettled without her owner. What a nightmare...or would that be a morningmare?

So that is the story of Dora the Explorer. Who has now gone permanently home. No more exploring for this girl!

Don't know the back story, but if she came from a farm with other horses I would suspect it was them she was missing more than anything. If she's been with other horses it's a huge shock to go solo.

Oh my that sounds stressful. happy no one was hurt in the process tho.

In a way, I guess its a good thing she did this when you were home and not when you were out
default_no.gif

Just keep searching and eventually you will find that perfect horse
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh heck no, I threw in the towel. I have had such bad luck in the pony department that I can take a hint when I see one.

Too many improvements need to be done to the property to try that again. I have ducks right now and the fence keeps them in, so I will stick with them! LOL
default_yes.gif

And yes, she came from being in a pen with other horses, so yep definitely part of it!
default_rolleyes.gif

Jen, that's madness! She really missed her friends and humans didn't she? Poor Dora got herself in a right mess.

I hope that one day you can have a horse back in your life. It doesn't have to be that stressful.

Good luck, and I hope you still check in here from time to time.

xox Leonie xox

Latest posts

Back