Don't laugh,, I have an honest question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniequine

Reaction score
I had a farm pond put in the year I built

my house, then I got minis...

The pond has been a constant source of

scarey stuff. First the ice, then summer pond

green growth that the minis insist on playing in....

flocks of geese, bugs, thunderstorm flooding...

Well, this morning, I see something coming

out of the pond.... AN ENORMOUS SNAPPING TURTLE!!!

I'm talking HUGE!!!! It looked like an alligator

climbing out of the pond!!!

Has anybody EVER heard of a snapping turtle

hurting a mini?? I'm not a worry bear, just curious.

I grabbed my camera and scurried down to take a pic,

but forgot that I ruined it yesterday in the rain...
sad.gif

Sandy

Sandy,

We've had some average size snapping turtles from time to time here, never saw them do anything dangerous LOL. I might worry about alligator sized turtles though! Does your dog have any interest in it? Mine sure did, they thought it was a new toy...

Interesting side note - when they cut a major road through farm land out here years ago, they evidently went through a turtle homestead. For several years lots of turtles continued to cross the road (with predictable results). I picked up several and turned them loose out here, and they just disappeared off into the field towards neighbors tank. Actually had people honk and give me thumbs up when I was rescueing them from the road.
biggrin.gif

Jan

Before I moved I had a pond at the back of my property. Lots of snapping turtles. The dogs were wild when they came up to the barn and the minis were hilarious to watch. Creeping right up.........nose to nose. Then the turtle would lunge and the minis would RUN and then come back for more. No one was ever hurt. But we did have to take the turtles back to the pond to shut the dogs up.
laugh.gif

turtle5.jpg

They're very common around here. We have them in our tank in the pasture, and they stick to themselves and have never hurt a thing, and our big horses are in the water a lot during the summer. Occasionally they wander up to the house and yard, and we just take them back (watch your fingers!)
biggrin.gif
Just so you know...if they do "snap" on to something, they will not let go, and the only way to get them off is to cut their heads off....eww....
sad.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Sandy,[/SIZE]

We have a creek running through the back of our property and from time to time we have some pretty good size snappers in our dry lot!
yes.gif
They have never harmed the horses, but the dogs sure have a fit when they see them! Last year there was a nest of snappers hatch at the creek and I'll bet you I carried at least 50 or 60 of the back to the creek!
biggrin.gif
Back in my younger days we would make turtle soup out of them!
yes.gif
Yum! Yum!

Bill
saludando.gif

Yeah Bill Wow! Turtle soup and breaded deep fried Turtle is GOOD!

Sorry no help on the mini /turtle thing, good luck.

I have a pond in the center of my property which is about an acre in size. We have a load of snapping turtles. I hate those things! They are UGLY and HUGE!!!! I once saw a bird flapping around in the water. When I walked over I saw that it was a young Heron who seemed to have its leg caught on something. Then I saw the shell come up out of the water. A snapper had the bird and in a second had the bird under water. Next thing I knew, there were only feathers floating on the water. After that, I have a great respect for these turtles. I do not allow any horses or dogs near the pond. I do believe that these creatures can do some major damage. A couple of times I have tossed some "presents" that my barn cats leave for me in the morning into the pond and within seconds, you can see the turtles come up and have breakfast!
new_shocked.gif

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

I am under the impression that if that mouth locked onto the leg of one of our foals, the foal would lose thus the snapping turtles are shot around here.. With our dry summer, the pond got down to a couple of feet. Lee was able to shoot one but we could never catch the second turtle. I don't turn the foals out in that pasture now.

If a snapping turtle latches on to somthing its going to have it. They might not be agressive but if a dog or a horse sticks a nose down its going to be bitten.

As odd as it is a friend had to fence off there pond because their dairy cows would wade and actually lost an udder to a snapping turtle
sad.gif
(more than once)

Latest posts

Back