Don't know where to begin?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawneeCreek

Reaction score
I need to downsize my herd by a couple of horses. I have show quality mares and one stallion. All are registered amha and amhr. I'm not concerned about the money at this point, just that I need to make life easier for all. I spoke with my vet and was told to list them on craigslist. I don't want to do that. My herd is aging as well. Are their people who sell horses on consignment? If so, does anyone know of such a person? I love my horses and really am looking for a good home for them. I live in north texas.

Try looking up breeders or trainers in your area and ask if they'll sell them for you. Many breeders have more clients than foals, and will happily sell on consignment. The a and r have directories on the websites that may have some people listed in your area. Good luck.

I would not be afraid of craigs list. I looked on there when I was hunting.

you might try contacting you local 4H. If they have a horse program you might connect with just the right family

Thank you AmiSue and Marsha for your replies. I will look into the local 4H and directories.

To start with I'd try to place them locally. Put ads in your paper, most towns have a free paper. Also do like mentioned above and contact farms in your state to see if any of them are interested. At the top of this page is a link to our state Mini Horse Farm directory with several people in Texas that you can contact. We also have a free Sales Board here, you can post on that .... there is a link to it up top as well. Or you can email me about doing the advertising for you, I'm happy to help. Our boards get thousands of hits per day so your ad will be seen. Good luck to you, Debby

On the one hand, I can understand your nervousness regarding Craigslist. I'm not so sure I would want whoever showing up on our property.

On the other hand.... when we bought Nicky, we also got a mare. She was sick and died within a few months. Nicky (my avatar) was hugely distraught lying on the ground in the dirt, and I was desperate. I searched every breeder in the surrounding states with cost literally being no object to me... and found nothing available (except one, that was trying to direct me towards rescue type minis belonging to her relative; which I really was not interested in, much less capable of caring for.) So we ended up with Coco, an unregistered, ornery, little thing whom I absolutely love... found her on Craigslist. She is now in her "forever home" and is absolutely spoiled. So you never know? It might be worth a try?

Latest posts

Back