don't feel foal or see foal moving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletandlacy

Reaction score
This is my first mini baby, I bought a mare who was already bred. She was due a couple of weeks ago by my calculations since she was bred last July. On July 4th the church two houses down from me had a fireworks display. I had no idea they were having it. As soon as I heard the first firework I ran out to get the halters and put my horses up, they are normally very docile and not spooked but my mare was running and very upset, before I could get to the pasture she attempted to jump the fence, she didn't make she rolled over onto her head and then got hung in the fence she managed to get untangled and up before I could get out there, I looked her over and didn't see any cuts and she didn't seem to be in pain. For the next two days all of my mini's had diarehea but now they are all fine. how can I tell if my mare hurt her baby? Is there any way to tell if it is still alive, she has been vet checked twice since I bought her last december and all was well but now i am concerned. Thanks for any help.

Hon, I would call your vet to ease your mind. The babes don't move as much once they are in position and some of these maidens will drive you crazy trying to guess when they're due. Have the vet out and you will at least hopefully get an update. I'll hope for the best, that must have been very scary.

I would get the Vet for your peace of mind. If the foal were dead the mare would have aborted within 48 hrs of the death, so my guess is everything is fine. Has she bagged up yet?? Are you sure the dates are right?? The Vet should be able to ultrasound her for you and answer some of these questions. Good Luck!!

She has had utter "development for a couple of weeks now" I have been able to milk her for about a week and a half but her utter isn't "full" it just has some milk in it. My vet is kind of grumpy, that is why I have postponed calling him about what happened, but I think after the responses I have gotten I should probably call him and get him to check her. This is her third foal in a row the people I bought her from kept breeding her back so she is 4 and a half and this is going to be baby #3. Hopefully all will go well, I know I am not breeding her back at least for a couple of years. She is a gorgeous mare though and a great mover so hopefully if she EVER foals it will be a nice baby. As for the dates the lady I bought her from said she turned her out with the stud last July or late June, so if she was bred in july which the lady is very confident she was then I figured mid June I would have a foal, but perhaps she didn't take or something. I am a worry wort when it comes to foaling, I have only had one foal about 7 years ago and it was born with severe flexur limb deformities and had to be put down so I am very nervous about the upcoming event.

thanks for all the help

Heather,

Did you get Dr. B out or talk to him? How long was Lacey with the stud before you bought her? She isn't bred to Bullet is she? Prob not, that would make a late fall baby, too bad tho, he is beautiful!!!! hope to hear how it goes.

Shelley<><

Latest posts

Back