Don't Blame Bush For Katrina

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacquee,

Clinton made himself the target that he is. I do have to give him this though, Not too many people invent new ways of cigar use. He set himself up to be remembered for some pretty strange things. Every time I see him now on the news that cigar and blue dress are the first thing that pop in my head. But I am glad that he does help in hurricain relief with the Bush's. That does show a character side that he did not show us when he was in office.

JMO

Fran

Last edited by a moderator:
pepipony- President Bush did get out and walk around in several areas, Biloxi, MS for one which was hit really hard. I didn't pay attention to know every place he was, but he was there. There is a huge difference between a troop being put in harm's way and our Commander in Chief. Not that both aren't equally precious; it's just different. No one is expendable. It's hard to explain I guess.

crponies, the original statement that you were replying to was that Bush only did the flyover that day, which he did. He should have landed that very day. Yes he did come back and land at a later date, but not that day. There was NO reason, none at all that he couldnt have stopped. I would expect that of ANY president and would be highly ticked of ANY that didnt stop.

I for one am ASHAMED that Bush is the President, note I didnt say my Pres, because he isnt. He doesnt lead he repeats what others say. He is SO not his father and I think people look at him and see just that, his Father. He is serving his second term but NOTE that he didnt win the popular vote the first time for there to have even been a second. I could go on, I hate and despise that man that much. BUT, I am the first, and if you have read my past posts, to come right out and say that if the fault isnt his, it shouldnt be placed at his feet. I DO NOT vote party lines, think that is the worst thing people can do, no one person can be all to you, no one party. I liked his Dad and I hated that he had to go against his election slogan of 'no new taxes'. Jr is NO senior. Jr isnt even a tenth of a man his father was, whether he thinks so or not.

crponies, the original statement that you were replying to was that Bush only did the flyover that day, which he did. He should have landed that very day. Yes he did come back and land at a later date, but not that day. There was NO reason, none at all that he couldn't have stopped. I would expect that of ANY president and would be highly ticked of ANY that didn't stop.
Well thew State Officials of LA. did NOT want the President to stop That first day They even told Him Not to even come down~!!! This was on many news casts that first day! But He Did come down and that is Why He Only Flew over~! For one thing When the President Does come He has to have Lots of Security of which they Did not have yet nor did they want to Take away the officers from the down Town area at that time till further help was in place... My oh my how it is not getting the whole story what went on and how things get handled.. Yes there is more to a story then it firsts seems I guess...

This whole thread makes me sick.

Can't we at least get the bodies buried before we start the unending partisianship BS?

Shmini , his security detail travels with him. They wouldnt have really had to pull many if any officers and I do think that this is his fault for not doing. I do think that a lot of the problem is the military is spread so very thin and that if they werent, they could have been in place a lot faster. And that is his fault as well. I do not think that blame for how things have been handled otherwise is all his, some, but not all, think that fault starts at the very bottom. People have to be responsible for themselves, but if they are used to having others take that resposibility, its hard to expect more.

I did not know they told him not too land, hadnt heard that at all and I listen to many channels so its not just CNN LOL Honestly, he still should have landed, he is THE president after all and can override pretty much anything.

If people look at the field full of school buses parked beside the dome why were these still parked ??? If they had started using these in the day before it hit over ten thousand homeless, poor and indigent people could have been moved out. But wait these are local buses and they needed federal ones. Oh, and the National Guard are STATE troops not federal. The Federal government is not empowered to call up the National guard for emergencys, That job belongs to the govenor. I am really getting disgusted with the partisan he said she said, should have done and could have done. One more point, They are comparing New Orleans to a third world country. We have been to that city many times and have friends living in the area (who all got out safely) . When you go to that city as a tourist you are welcomed with open arms to all the tourist attractions, Bars, clubs, malls etc. You are also warned not to go walking outside the tourist areas of the city because it is just like a third world country and it is not safe. The city has one of the highest crime rates in the country and just a few years ago made national headlines as having one of the most corrupt police forces in the nation. Wow , if I keep on I am going to make some enemies on the forum so I will just shut up. Please just let these people work together to put that part of the country back together. We have donated and so should the rest of us who are able. Thats all the help many of us can offer.

Yes MiniFancier I am aghast how many have abolutely no understanding of how government works. I guess they must have been absent the day highschool civics class touched on that topic.

Having worked in a goverment agency for the past 15 years I know up close and personal that we work our butts off trying to assist an ungrateful public and what do they do? They shoot at us with guns or their loud mouths and ya know what, we still continue to help them--go figure.

Like I said on another thread the entire goverment should get out ot the business of helping anyone, disaster or not, then all the whiners could have their precious taxes back and take care of themselves.

My mother asked me to post Michael Moore's Letter along with her response along the way. So here you go.

Robin

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

[SIZE=21pt]I just heard tonight that 40 % of all Cost Guard Helicopters were down there rescuing people.[/SIZE]

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

[SIZE=21pt]Ditto. 30,000 there by tomorrow. Can't move them all at once.[/SIZE]

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

[SIZE=21pt]As usual, Moore's information is faulty, if not deliberately misleading. Pres. Bush ordered National Emergency preparations the day BEFORE the storm hit shore. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=21pt] The mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana sat on their hands. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=21pt]The mayor issued a mandatory evacuation and knowing, he had to know, there were sick, frail, poor people with no means to evacuate and should have ordered city and school buses to haul them to safe areas, thus saving 80 or 90 percent of the rescuing efforts AFTER the storm. It would have been a lot cheaper in money and lives too.[/SIZE]

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

[SIZE=21pt]Party?? That's Moore, twisting things again.[/SIZE]

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- [SIZE=21pt]BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ! [/SIZE]

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

[SIZE=21pt]Again, a play on words for which Moore is noted. Vacation!! Anyone who knows anything about the presidency knows that the president is NEVER on vacation. Where ever he is with all the trappings, hookups and anterage, is where the White House is.[/SIZE]

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

[SIZE=21pt]If you want to believe the Global warming rot. The people who study hurricanes don't subscribe to the theory...and "theory" is all it is. Hurricanes of this force have happened before and will happen again. [/SIZE]

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town.

[SIZE=21pt]Well, you've certainly got that right. Like I said before, that should have been done locally by the mayor and places arranged to recieve the people out of the storm,s path, by the governor. [/SIZE]

C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport.

[SIZE=21pt]What a rable rouser!! White AND black were caught and white and black are helping each other. The fact that more blacks were there couldn't have been because New Orleans population is 70% black could it, or is that too complicated an idea for such a little mind? [/SIZE]

Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days?

[SIZE=21pt]Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this! My white paramedic son is on his way to Mississippi, voluntarily, to do what he can to help ANYONE who needs it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=21pt]What is Moore doing, besides yes, trying to politicise a national tragedy. The sorriest excuse for a human being. He lives the high life in New York and Florida, off the money he has made in the country he hates by lying to people and then cons them further by dressing like a working stiff when he is on camera promoting his radical schpiel.[/SIZE]

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore

[email protected]

www.MichaelMoore.com

Again there is no right or wrong and it is sad that those in our goverment on all levels will use this to attempt to further their careers

but I will stand behind one thing and one thing only since the reality is NON of us really know what was said, asked for or given as we are only getting partial parts of the story to make some look good and others bad but as sad as it is I am firm in my belief that if this happened on the coast of So Cal. in the very wealthy areas there would be a different outcome. I would hope beyond hopes I am wrong and am more then willing to be wrong on that statement but in my heart of hearts.. i dont think i am
no.gif

Lisa have you lived in CA, have you already forgotten, Northridge, the Berkeley/Oakland fire and the big quake in the bay area? All very wealthy areas and people were stranded and in desperate conditions for weeks and help didn't arrive there on a moments notice either. But thankfully local assistance was planned for and in place and emergency workers WERE able to get on the scene but resources were stretched to the breaking point. The loss of life was not on the scale of New Orleans but race or wealth has no bearing in times of disaster and I think it's just the most absurd thought imaginable.

I just saw this post, because I just got my electricity back on today. I have been without power since last Monday when the storm hit. I live in southeast Louisiana, about 40 miles from New Orleans.

I have to comment. Gov. Blanco and Mayor Naygin both are in part responsible for what has happened in New Orleans. Also, please remember that the order was given for everyone to evacuate the city. There were many people left because they choose to be there. (And yes, there were free evacuation rides being offered) Of course, there were people who for various reasons could not get out. There should have been more done before the hurricane hit. Plans should have been in place and followed. Even as late as yesterday, Gov. Blanco stated that she needed "another 24 hours" to make some decisions regarding the rescue and relief efforts. The Federal Government must respect something known as "State's Rights" when assisting with ANY disaster or other efforts. Let me tell you, there have been helicopters flying over my house day and night. Also, FEMA has done an outstanding job many times here, this is not the first hurricane or flood that Louisiana has faced, but this is just an enormous task to undertake. And just now, Gov. Blanco has refused to allow the National Guard Troops here to be federalized. And remember, the New Orleans Times Picyune, local newspaper, did an investigative piece outlaying this very senerio, but local goverment did nothing to prepare.

Also, please don't forget that New Orleans is not the only place to suffer great damage. Several parishes in Louisiana, as well as counties in Mississippi and Alabama were severly affected. Most of these areas did not have as great a death toll or rescue need because the citizens obeyed the evacuation orders, but the structural damage was incredible. Washington parish still has NO electricty, at all. Power lines are down everywhere, homes and businesses destroyed, etc. I myself, am still waiting to find out if I am still employed.

Please pray for all those effected by this storm, but please don't let this become a political game. And take some of the news stories with a "grain of salt."

Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too said:
Lisa have you lived in CA, have you already forgotten, Northridge, the Berkeley/Oakland fire and the big quake in the bay area?  All very wealthy areas and people were stranded and in desperate conditions for weeks and help didn't arrive there on a moments notice either.  But thankfully local assistance was planned for and in place and emergency workers WERE able to get on the scene but resources were stretched to the breaking point.  The loss of life was not on the scale of New Orleans but race or wealth has no bearing in times of disaster and I think it's just the most absurd thought imaginable.
462299[/snapback]

Triggy yes I lost everything in that quake(northridge) what I didnt lose from the actual quake was lost to looters- I remember it very well and always will- however again while it cant truly be compared as it was a very different type of disaster bringing in its own different circimstances being there living thru it not just seeing it on the news I can tell you it wasnt the same-

again kinda like comparing apples to oranges either way I know. Again i am not unwilling to be wrong i would LOVE to be wrong. Perhaps living in so cal and going thru the LA riots and seeing what happened there with my own eyes giving me my own personal perspective and seeing the differences that DO exisit there admitted or not.. perhaps that has me a bit jaded and jumping to conclusions.. belive me in this day and time i am so wishing hoping and willing to be wrong on the issue of who and what the victims were being any part of it

Last edited:
I think the biggest thing that bothers me about Katrina is people keep saying it should not have happened. Well it happened you cannot control mother nature. I mean natural disasters happen. Life will return to normal. Yes it is tragic that all those people died.

The NO problems begin w/ the mayor and gov.

You know what's worst than this whole mess and even scarier ?

I was listening to the news and they were reminding people that hurricane season hasn't even officially started and to be prepared because there might even be another big one.

I sure hope we have learned a few lessons from this one......

Angie, thank you for coming on the board and bringing your own experience to this post. You have my prayers that you and many others, will land on your feet as soon as possible.

SkipsMom, Well said!!

Robin

I think it is so very sad that in the wake of a horriable tradegy there are some who hate the president so much they will blame him for what is happening down there.

I feel that even if he had gone down there in the MIDDLE of the hurricane and carried people out on his back M Moore and his kind would have STILL found something wrong.

What part of "everyone evacuate" don't people understand? And to find out that free bus rides out BEFORE the hurricane were NOT taken makes me wonder why the mayor didn't send the police to FORCE those people out of the city ahead of the hurricane.

've seen- except when my basement takes in water during heavy rains.

Latest posts

Back