Donkey Trots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with their donkey having the trots. I have one Jack and two Jennys and I have found that the Jennys will have the trots for a week - then they are back to a normal bowel movement. I have not changed their diet. We live in Ontario and the weather has been snowy and cold - my hay is very good - because of the colder temperatures I have been giving them a little more hay. The only thing I can come up with is nerves? Both the Jennys are pregnant - due about June and I am very excited. My Jack does not seem to be bothered with the trots at all.

Any suggestions ?

We have had donkeys for five years and this will hopefully be a good year for foals. (We lost an unborn foal two years ago and I blamed it on the West Nile vacination.)

Hi, Glad you could join us on the forum and WELCOME from Wisconsin. I have 6 donkeys, and 2 are bred. I haven't had any diahrrea (OK, I know that is spelled worng!!!) If you havent changed anything in there feeding habits, I would wonder what is going on. Does this happen often? Even if it was just the fact, that the jennys are bred, it seems odd that BOTH are getting it. Are they wormed regularly? Any change in there water? Corinne

There has been no change in their water. I have 8 miniature horses as well and there has been no problems with them. My husband and I wormed everyone in the barn in December. Even the mini goats. I just found it strange. I have had problems with the donkeys have the trots in the spring when the grass is lush - but in the winter - maybe the flakes of hay may be richer in some parts of the bale? I just found it strange.

I was wondering if your donk had diarrhea or if you were happy it trotted!

About 1/2 of our jennets always get cow pie consistancy for a few days during their cycles, so like some people, they just must get icky crampy tummies, as I've never had any problems. Are you sure your girls are bred? I've never had any of my bred girls seem to be runny in spurts like that. As long as they are eating well, dewormed regular and look/act healthy, I wouldn't be concerned, as I have noticed in my 5 years with donks, they get the runs easier than horses and more common.

Good luck!

Oh Jenny..that was a cute one!! ....."HAPPY IT TROTTED!" I can see in spring from the lush grass, even mine get cowpies then. I wouldnt worry either as long as they are eating and DRINKING.

Latest posts

Back