Donkey encounter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Riding my bike today on the rural roads. As I came around the edge of the mountain, I heard loud braying. There were two full size donkeys in a guy's wheat field, announcing my presence. So far we haven't found out who they belong to or where they came from. The wheat field is fenced, but I heard that donkeys can jump fences?donkeys.jpg

I really don't know what's wrong with people!:mad: Wish you could take them home.

Last edited:
I bet someone dumped them :mad:. The one on the right is awesome and I wish he/she was in my field.
He was very bossy, kicking the other away from the fence. I did not realize that regular donkeys were so large. They are not there today, and the gate to that field was open so I don't know what happened to them. Sure was a surprise, though , to hear that braying!

The one on the right definitely looks mammoth, judging by his head. I think the minimum size for a mammoth is 13.2 (?) and they have larger bone structure.
I think that is what these must have been. Definitely large enough to ride like a regular sized horse. Sure wish I knew where they came from and where they went. I do have photographic proof I saw them!

Now this is something to do a "search" about..... I know that there are 3 donkey sizes....sort of like equine, but not sure of the height break-offs.

CORRECTION: I just did a search and technically there are only TWO sizes. The Mammoth averages around 14 hands and the "mini donkey" or Burro is between 34 and 40" at the withers. (I just learned something!)

Last edited:
Hmm...I always understood there were three categories: "standard" which are like 12-13h, Sicilian/miniature which are mini sized, and Mammoth which can be as big as 15h+. Here, this might help:

http://www.lovelongears.com/about_donkeys2.html
Cutoff for mini is 36", standard is 36-54/56", Mammoth above that (13.2+ for jennets, 14+ for jacks). I don't know that there are technically separate "breeds" though, they are just separated by size.

Latest posts

Back